Why did we........?

BS came in 12th, and 12 made finals, but as defending champs the Troopers did not compete in prelims, BS missed the cut, as did the Brassmen, CMCC Warriors, Bon bons and St Andrew's.

Quite a lineup right there. Would have made for a great show in its own right!!!

I think the Brassmen had a significant timing penalty at prelims that cost them a spot in finals. Perhaps someone with more knowledge of this can confirm.

Edited by Fran Haring

I think the Brassmen had a significant timing penalty at prelims that cost them a spot in finals. Perhaps someone with more knowledge of this can confirm.

Brassmen received in excess of 3-points in penalties at prelims for the corps proper leaving the field before the American section (due to an exit error).

They would have been 10th place without the penalty.

• Like 1

"Brassmen's Penalty":

I "Heard" that the Brassmen's penalty was a timing penalty due to a malfunction with their drill instructors watch. :wow: It was dropping several seconds from each minute, which resulted in the problem and the resulting costly penalty. :shutup:

They seemed to recover rather well as they beat several of the WO Finalist's at the next days Danny Thomas Invitational. :music:

Elphaba

Edited by elphaba01

I'm not sure when it happened, but I thought the Brassmen ran into a problem at a show in the early 70's because they couldn't set up their entrance formation due to a lack of depth on the backline ... I think there was a photo in DCN ... not sure if they competed or pulled out of the show ...

Anyone know?

I'm not sure when it happened, but I thought the Brassmen ran into a problem at a show in the early 70's because they couldn't set up their entrance formation due to a lack of depth on the backline ... I think there was a photo in DCN ... not sure if they competed or pulled out of the show ...

Anyone know?

I posted this on DCP back in 2007:

It was August 8, 1973 and the Brassmen had traveled to CYO Nationals. It was announced at the stadium that the Brassmen would not compete. That chain link fence bordered eight feet behind the back sideline. The Brassmen needed 32 feet behind the sideline for their opening formation. All corps that day were allowed to set up 24 feet closer to the front sideline, however, the front sideline rule was to be enforced at a one-point per person infraction, which would have cost the Brassmen 20-30 points in penalties. Despite spending more than $1,000 on buses to travel from NY Carmen Cluna told the contest adminstrators what he thought of them, and the Brassmen pulled out.

It was August 8, 1973 and the Brassmen had traveled to CYO Nationals. It was announced at the stadium that the Brassmen would not compete. That chain link fence bordered eight feet behind the back sideline. The Brassmen needed 32 feet behind the sideline for their opening formation. All corps that day were allowed to set up 24 feet closer to the front sideline, however, the front sideline rule was to be enforced at a one-point per person infraction, which would have cost the Brassmen 20-30 points in penalties. Despite spending more than $1,000 on buses to travel from NY Carmen Cluna told the contest adminstrators what he thought of them, and the Brassmen pulled out.

I was told that for those at the CYO, it was weird watching the brake lights of the Brassmen's buses as they drove up the slight hill leaving Boston College's stadium and supposedly they never competed again.

Edited by Ghost

I was told that for those at the CYO, it was weird watching the brake lights of the Brassmen's buses as they drove up the slight hill leaving Boston College's stadium and supposedly they never competed again.

They only competed one more time after that CYO. On August 26 in Boonton, NJ:

Muchachos--85.35

Brudgemen--82

Brassmen--77

Garfield--72.05

Polish Falcon Cadets--69

Bon Bons--68.55

Muchachos--85.35

Brudgemen--82

Brassmen--77

Garfield--72.05

Polish Falcon Cadets--69

Bon Bons--68.55

Boonton was the annual end-of-season show hosted by the Harmony Senior corps, a parade corps that used band brass instruments and marched a glock section. Saw them often at parades all over North Jersey.

Boonton was the annual end-of-season show hosted by the Harmony Senior corps, a parade corps that used band brass instruments and marched a glock section.

And Boonton was also the home of drum corps recording pioneer Stet Richmond.

I still have one of his embroidered patches that reads, "Stet Richmond--Boonton, NJ"

Muchachos--85.35

Brudgemen--82

Brassmen--77

Garfield--72.05

Polish Falcon Cadets--69

Bon Bons--68.55

The end of the line for a great corps.