Awesome brass features

As a previous poster said, "within the context of its time..."

1979 Guardsmen opener "Fanfare for the New"...Tim Salzmann hornline, tounging up the wazoo, two screamer sops. I felt a bit shortchanged when BD '87 played a watered-down version of this piece, as they had the talent.

1982 SCV...another TIm Salzmann line...opening statement of Giannini, closing statement of Giannini, middle section of Capriccio.

'86 Suncoast

BD 2014 opener, well-deserved!

Crown and Also Sprach Z; I wish they would play Brazilian keyboardist Eumir Deodato's arrangement of it from his album Prelude (it's on YT, crank it up.)

The above (highlighted) could be its own thread: "Re-arrangements, Recyclings, and Charts that didn't quite top the originals."

Whether one adds Madison 2014 to that column is one's own choice and preference. The charts are great for the MMs playing them, but for the audience/judges, even the staffs, sometimes the re-dos and copies don't quite match the integrity, energy, technique, or effectiveness/punch of when done previously in a different season often by a different corps for a different show.

I felt the same way when hearing some of the SCV classics done by other corps such as in 2010; different techniques but definitely not as emotional or effective IMHO, almost as if the arrangement was on muscle-relaxers. No punch.

I guess it's a dinosaur problem of having been to so many shows over so many seasons, a problem modern MMs have yet to experience.

Edited by xandandl

2008 Carolina Crown end of the Candide Fanfare. I was still picking my jaw up off the floor at the end of the show. Jeebus, what a forte.

Edited by jimwolf359

Got beat to the punch on Bluecoats '08 and BD '14, but I'll throw out there, Phantom '95, Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini. I remember seeing them live that summer and thinking holy $#!+, that was ridiculous!!!

A Homer Honorable Mention to Crossmen '15

'95 Phantom underrated IMO...

If you are speaking of the in front of the pit brass feature from '15.. would have been much more impressive if they actually played at least a full forte.... cool moment... always left me wanting a lot more though.

Couldn't find the video of 84. She has a few solos thoughout the show. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRd9KtJV-Lw