Worst Top 12 Corps Ever!

Stu,

You've missed the point of this thread. First off, G7 is NOT an historic topic.

Keith wanted to talk about the corps that made top 12 over the decades that weren't always at the top of their game.

I played along by showing that even the best corps we know today had low points.

In this particular case the point of the thread was not the issue I was addressing. What I was referring to was that if you re-read the way you structured your sentence concerning corps who dominate today it indicates 'present tense' not 'past tense' as it applies to their humbleness.

In this particular case the point of the thread was not the issue I was addressing. What I was referring to was that if you re-read the way you structured your sentence concerning corps who dominate today it indicates 'present tense' not 'past tense' as it applies to their humbleness.

Stu....

School's out for summer! :cool:

• Like 3

IDK, I understood his comments to reference the past, by his commenting on corps that have come to dominate today were previously humbled. I thought the use of the word humbleness would have been picked up on, but when I saw you use it, I figured it must be correct.

I thought the use of the word humbleness would have been picked up on, but when I saw you use it, I figured it must be correct.

I know the correct term is "humility", but I thought it was good to leave "humble" as part of what I was trying to convey.

And I think Stu was referring to the general tone of my post. (As incorrect as he was.) :smile:

Edited by Northern Thunder

Stu....

School's out for summer! :cool:

When I was attending secondary school summer classes were designed for the advanced students who desired to finish as soon as possible and move on to University; and yes, I graduated from high school early by attending! :bleah:

I know the correct term is "humility", but I thought it was good to leave "humble" as part of what I was trying to convey.

And I think Stu was referring to the general tone of my post. (As incorrect as he was.) :smile:

"...it is interesting to look at some of the absolute humblest of those corps that came to dominate the activity."

The portion in italics indicates to the reader to view the corps 'in the present tense' as being some of the absolute humblest and thus indicates those corps remained some of the absolute humblest corps as they moved into dominating the activity. That is why the sentence came across as possible sarcastic commentary concerning the present and not merely a comment on the humble beginnings of the past. To cause the reader to reflect this humbleness as past tense the sentence should read something like, "... it is interesting to look at some of the corps with the absolute humblest beginnings that came to dominate the activity." (as correct as I am) :smile:

Edited by Stu

Boston Crusaders have gone from the top of the heap, to the bottom of the heap, then back again.

In the 60's decade, they had National Championships in their resume. They were on top, and near the top other years in the 60's. In the 70's however, they competed in World Class Div ( one year with less than 20 brass), and rapidly lost ground competitively. There was some decent quality still, but their brass lines were less than half the size of most other top Corps by then. And a " merger " consideration was never in this Corps DNA. So in the 80's, the slide continued, and they became so financially insolvent , a bankruptcy judge took their long time name " Crusaders " way from them. ( so they called themselves simply " Boston " ) Adults abandoned the Corps. They had an adult embezzle almost all the Corps money reserve one year, while on tour. Another year, essentially it was just the marchers themselves that kept the Corps alive for awhile there, and instructors taught them pretty much knowingly unpaid. 'Had no money for busses another year come August, so the Corps marchers took their own cars and drove 6-8 hours to Allentown. 'Slept in the cars, or under the stars overnite. Got out, competed, and got demolished score and placement wise. By all accounts the Corps should have thrown in the towel several times between the 70's and the mid 80's. But they didn't . And they never took a year off.. 'never went inactive thru it all. In time, they slowly fought back financially and administratively to the point they could go back to Court and get their family's name back ( ie," Crusaders " ) Then slowly but surely come the 90's, there was some signs there of perhaps upward placement competitive life again. Crusaders almost made DCI's Finals, in Boston no less in '94, but were a couple of tenths out, in 13th. Then in 1999, they finally broke thru, and made Finals at 10th place. They have never failed to make Finals since ( nor lower than 10th ), and have finished as high as 5th. So its been quite a ride... from the top of the placements heap, to about as rock bottom as it can get, then to the current climb back again.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 3

Troopers from the beginning and 1979 and 2009. In my opinion, there was a parallel universe between drum corps and winter guard on the east coast and west coast during the formidable drum corps years. I competed in the Southern Ontario, Great Lakes and Mid-West drum corps circuit early 1970's. I moved west September 1976 and witnessed the idea of WGI in Seattle 1977, met people that marched with the Troopers, Anaheim Kingsmen and Santa Clara Vanguard that carried the legacy with teaching. That's why I try to use the words east meets west and west meets east often. The legacy of these 2 coastal areas permeated throughout the continent through the years. Troopers were the conduit because they are in the middle of nowhere yet traveled everywhere. What a wonderful world!

• Like 1

Boston Crusaders have gone from the top of the heap, to the bottom of the heap, then back again.

I remember those lean days of the 1980s... when they were announced as the "Boston Drum and Bugle Corps."

You're right... they've had quite a ride. It has to feel good to be where they are now, considering where they came from.

• Like 1

Just to pop in here....at NO TIME did I mention this fictitious G7!

Now to the intent of the post

Some corps who are or were in top 12 may have been in "A" Class or at the bottom portion of World/Open (old school) Class. For instance Kilties who were at the top when down hill later on. Bluecoats were an "A" class corps and almost folded. The Title of the post wasn't meant to demean any corps as it was just a title that popped up when I wrote it.

• Like 1