Rocky Point Holiday

Yes, the band actually performed a public "farewell" concert in Minneapolis (including RPH) prior to the "premiere", so I would call that the first public performance.

:ninja:

Mr T. - am I correct in assuming that that performance was at the venerable Northrup Auditorium? And to those who are logistically challenged or ignorant of the area - it IS a "short walk" from TCF Bank Stadium..I had NO idea RPH was commissioned by the "U".. More "insignificant info" to further fill my overly fried brain cells!

Pat

• Like 1

Tes is right on '83. The previous season was the first Cadets played Rocky Point with Gershwin's Concerto in F and Cuban Overture. (i,e. 1982)

I've always loved that show.

Rocky Point Holiday and the ZPull were really awesome... I loved how they dramatically changed the tempo into RPH with " A Simple Song " by Leonard Bernstein

:ninja:

Mr T. - am I correct in assuming that that performance was at the venerable Northrup Auditorium? And to those who are logistically challenged or ignorant of the area - it IS a "short walk" from TCF Bank Stadium..I had NO idea RPH was commissioned by the "U".. More "insignificant info" to further fill my overly fried brain cells!

Pat

You're absolutely correct, Pat!

I love Rocky Point. In fact, I'll pop the parking lot warmup YouTube video from 2015 on whenever I'm in a bummed out mood. Better than anti-depressants! LOL

On a side note - Since I'm from New England, I always assumed that "Rocky Point" referred to the recreational area on the Narragansett Bay in Rhode Island (Warwick Neck, I think). I used to go to the Rocky Point Amusement Park during the 70s and 80s before it's demise later in the 1980's. It had a corkscrew rollercoaster long before there were any 6-Flags up in this neck of the woods.

Now that I think of it - unless Nelson was from around here, it's probably just a coincidence...

Does anyone know?

Glen

I love Rocky Point. In fact, I'll pop the parking lot warmup YouTube video from 2015 on whenever I'm in a bummed out mood. Better than anti-depressants! LOL

On a side note - Since I'm from New England, I always assumed that "Rocky Point" referred to the recreational area on the Narragansett Bay in Rhode Island (Warwick Neck, I think). I used to go to the Rocky Point Amusement Park during the 70s and 80s before it's demise later in the 1980's. It had a corkscrew rollercoaster long before there were any 6-Flags up in this neck of the woods.

Now that I think of it - unless Nelson was from around here, it's probably just a coincidence...

Does anyone know?

Glen

Not sure about the title, but Mr. Nelson is from Joliet, Illinois. Coincidentally there are many rock quarries in the area, so may be the Joliet region as well for influence.

in the linear notes for the piece, Mr. Nelson comments that the inspiration came from his vacation near an amusement park in Rhode Island, not too far from that famous Bristol parade and contest (now at Cranston.)

The wonderful limestone quarries in Joliet/Lockport region had nothing to do with it. I have a sister who raised her family in Homer Township there; it ain't no ocean experience!

in the linear notes for the piece, Mr. Nelson comments that the inspiration came from his vacation near an amusement park in Rhode Island, not too far from that famous Bristol parade and contest (now at Cranston.)

The wonderful limestone quarries in Joliet/Lockport region had nothing to do with it. I have a sister who raised her family in Homer Township there; it ain't no ocean experience!

Wow! That's pretty amazing. The Narragansett pretty much terminates into creeks, etc.on its north end in Providence. If you imagine a clock face there, Providence is as 12, Warwick Neck (Rocky Point) would be at 9, and Bristol is directly across the bay at 3. Without traffic, you can drive between the two towns in about 25 minutes. But since you can traverse the entire state in 50 minutes, the locals consider it "quite a drive"! Today, Warwick is where all the malls are. I've not been to the waterfront in that town in 25 years. I'm sure the place that Mr. Nelson experienced in (what I assume would be) the 40s/50s was a very different place than today. Alas, no clam cakes to be had. But the splendor of its past lives on in the music. Here's the Wikipedia link to the amusement park's history... very interesting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocky_Point_Amusement_Park

Does anyone know?

Glen

My understanding is that the composer wrote the piece after a visit to Rocky Point in Warwick, as a matter of fact I reminisced about Rocky Point earlier in this thread. Perhaps that is an urban legend for those of us from New England, but that is my understanding.

I remember reading it with a band for the first time (not long after Cadets played it in '83) and thinking, "Man, this sucks...crank it up so it's less boring."

Interesting! I believe the instructions in the original piece are to play the composition as fast as is possible without it falling apart. I have the Eastman version somewhere and Fennell cranks it up!