Bluecoats toe-down technique from 2012-2013

So I've been trying out that technique for fun, and I was wondering: How do you get the toe-ball-heel shock absorbtion to work? Whenever I try it, it just feels like I'm slamming my toes into the ground every step, jolting my upper body as a result.

I also seem to be one of the only people who doesn't think it looks weird. Sure, it isn't as crisp as straight leg, but it was uniform uncrispyness, and it seemed to scale extremely well with tempo.

As a guy who teaches a lot of drums, and thus deals with this concept a lot, its about calf strength, and the control of the motion between point and flex in the ankle. when you extend for the step, you point. As you pass through that footfall, you allow some flex to absorb the shock. Its not entirely different from most horn line's backwards technique, just in multiple directions.

Chatted about it once with one of the primary viz staff guys who implemented it at the time. A main selling point of this style is that it prevents a lot of shock to your hips, especially in faster tempos. One of my groups used a bastardized version of toe-lead a while ago (during a fast section of the show). It was initially awkward for the performers, but it looked fine and we kept the style in that part of the show as-is all season.

Straight-leg technique is so standard now, mainly because it's easy to conceptualize and teach. It's a good "look" to have, but as the visual demand/tempos keep getting dialed up, there needs to be more experimentation with how the performers move.

Edited by ShutUpAndPlayYerGuitar

I would be interested in hearing a podiatrist's opinion on which part of the foot is better built to absorb shock. I feel like it's the platform area and not the heel. As I watch my two year old walk, he walks toe first. I have almost constant pain in my heels and I attribute that to the fact that I stand more on my heels, which is due to the roll step.