C2 vs everyone

Hmmmm --- if your first second place is also first and if your last you still win. Metaphysics has always boggled my mind.

• Like 1

A 34? You could take Fran and I with playing "Big Noise from Winnetka" on amped kazoos and get a 34, man. :laugh:

I was making a point that, based on the OP question, C2 could finish anywhere with any score and still be declared champions of that division.

I know. :satisfied:

Happens in some scholastic situations.

How do you feel that if there is only one corps from either class in a show, they are judged and their score announced without "in first place?"

I find that interesting, Joe. I've never heard that done anywhere.

I understand where you're coming from. The band or corps didn't actually beat anyone, so why are they "first place with a score of xy.zz?"

With the scholastic groups, because of the way things are regarding being positive and encouraging everyone- I think the whole "first place" will stay in place. Some circuits like to promote to the bands that there are lots of winners at each show. For some directors with big egos... that's insanely important they were first, even if they only beat one other band or were the only band present. For some with the school administration trying to kill their program or ones with crazy out of control parent organizations, the win allows them to continue to keep their jobs. It's like a golden veneer covering their, well.... you know what its covering. :laugh:

The thing is, the kids and staff know they came in first place because they were the only ones there in class. No one's that stupid. (at least I'd hope so!)

I'm now thinking of something Eric Kitchenmen told Westshore in 1982 after we won the Utica show against Sun and some other good corps with a rather flat and lackluster run.

"You came in first place, but did you win this contest!?!?!?" :wink:

That's a question any corps or band has to answer whether they competed against no one, or a lot of teams. :satisfied:

Edited by BigW

I find that interesting, Joe. I've never heard that done anywhere.

I understand where you're coming from. The band or corps didn't actually beat anyone, so why are they "first place with a score of xy.zz?"

With the scholastic groups, because of the way things are regarding being positive and encouraging everyone- I think the whole "first place" will stay in place. Some circuits like to promote to the bands that there are lots of winners at each show. For some directors with big egos... that's insanely important they were first, even if they only beat one other band or were the only band present. For some with the school administration trying to kill their program or ones with crazy out of control parent organizations, the win allows them to continue to keep their jobs. It's like a golden veneer covering their, well.... you know what its covering. :laugh:

The thing is, the kids and staff know they came in first place because they were the only ones there in class. No one's that stupid. (at least I'd hope so!)

I'm now thinking of something Eric Kitchenmen told Westshore in 1982 after we won the Utica show against Sun and some other good corps with a rather flat and lackluster run.

"You came in first place, but did you win this contest!?!?!?" :wink:

That's a question any corps or band has to answer whether they competed against no one, or a lot of teams. :satisfied:

Great post. I agree that to encourage young band kids, 1st place is first place..... You always seem to find the right thing so say when common sense is required. Perhaps your experience with drum corps, marching bands, kids, adults, and seniors gives you a perspective that enables you to say "this is good for this, but not for this."

As for you and Fran with the kazoos, sad to say you would have lost to Blue Devils C by almost four whole points. Boy, I'd love to see your visual show !!!

I always enjoy your posts !

MidCal Champions Showcase
Open Class
Blue Devils B
Vanguard Cadets
Golden Empire
Blue Devils C

• 1 month later...

Aaaand, C2 beat everyone, ba dum chk....

Congrats!

• Like 1

At least we probably won't be seeing a revival of last year's threads bemoaning how no one would ever again beat the Buccaneers under DCA's current rules.

• Like 1