Memories of 1976

I sure did enjoy 1976...the whole season - starting with fall practices all the way to arriving in Concord on buses after Philly.

One memory: Drum Beauty, Stillwater MN. A two day event as the stands were small. Drum line was warming up and I noticed people gathering to watch. I was a rookie, so I asked Alan (vet) next to me, "What are they doing?" He said, "Watching us!" I asked, "Why? It is just warm ups - no big deal.." He said, "Because we're good!"

I thought it was so strange that people would be interested in watching warm-ups. Now, I look at the action in the lot these days and laugh as I think back.

The other thing about Stillwater: At retreat, Miss Stillwater was handing out the trophies. Well, she also gave the drum majors a kiss. BD won 1st and swept all captions. You guessed it, a trophy and a kiss each time. BOTH NIGHTS By the end, our DM should'a got a room! The DM and Guard Captain were a couple, and she was right there watching him, and not too happy I might add. Pretty funny at the time..

One memory: Drum Beauty, Stillwater MN. A two day event as the stands were small. Drum line was warming up and I noticed people gathering to watch. I was a rookie, so I asked Alan (vet) next to me, "What are they doing?" He said, "Watching us!" I asked, "Why? It is just warm ups - no big deal.." He said, "Because we're good!"

One of those people would have been me. I literally spent every hour watching the Blue Devils those days they were in Stillwater in 76.

That's when I first met Jerry Seawright, Wayne Downey and a young soprano bugler named Dave Gibbs (who later had some bigger duties with the corps. :smile:)

• Like 1