Corps 19-25 Placeing Higher

I remember back in 2000-2001 PC was the can't miss up and coming corps top (12 potential) that everyone wanting to see tour more. I admired the director who was content with staying locally in cali. PC had good talent but once they expanded there tour that's when the competition level changed. I believe 1-2 years they placed 16-17th but no top 12 as fans were hoping for. Now with BD present PC is just an afterthought from BD cut list. These Elite Corps Are Something Else....It's Not Fair!!!

I remember back in 2000-2001 PC was the can't miss up and coming corps top (12 potential) that everyone wanting to see tour more. I admired the director who was content with staying locally in cali. PC had good talent but once they expanded there tour that's when the competition level changed. I believe 1-2 years they placed 16-17th but no top 12 as fans were hoping for. Now with BD present PC is just an afterthought from BD cut list. These Elite Corps Are Something Else....It's Not Fair!!!

I totally understand where you are coming from and over the years experienced it and it does sting BUT you can not blame an " Elite " for offering something someone else doesn't. Sometimes I repeat sometimes it's not what one offers but what the other does not. Or is some cases choose not to or can't.

These Elite Corps Are Something Else....It's Not Fair!!!

You're right, it's not fair. It's not fair that those corps have hired competent administrators. It's not fair that they work hard to be able to fund a competent and talented design and educational staff. It's absolutely not fair that they provide, for the most part, a stable environment for those staff members. It's certainly not fair that they provide a superior experience for members.

...and it's sure as hell not fair that many of the bottom feeders don't respect themselves or their members enough to follow an established model for success proven time and again by those same "elite corps".

I totally understand where you are coming from and over the years experienced it and it does sting BUT you can not blame an " Elite " for offering something someone else doesn't. Sometimes I repeat sometimes it's not what one offers but what the other does not. Or is some cases choose not to or can't.

To state that the perennially placing 19th-40th placing DCI Corps bear some heavy responsibility for their own placement predicaments is accurate, imo. On the other hand, the comments we oftentimes hear that the Elite Corps bear little to no responsibility for these Corps placement predicaments is preposterous, and is not the sentiment that I share. I am not stating that YOU hold these elite Corps blameless, Guardling( as you havn't told us if they are or not, in your opinion ). But I am saying in no uncertain terms, so nobody misunderstands, that I do believe these elite Corps bear some level of responsibility for these Corps predicaments as well.

Edited by BRASSO

You're right, it's not fair. It's not fair that those corps have hired competent administrators. It's not fair that they work hard to be able to fund a competent and talented design and educational staff. It's absolutely not fair that they provide, for the most part, a stable environment for those staff members. It's certainly not fair that they provide a superior experience for members.

...and it's sure as hell not fair that many of the bottom feeders don't respect themselves or their members enough to follow an established model for success proven time and again by those same "elite corps".

I dislike it that some people refer to these 19th to 40th Corps as.... " bottom feeders ". Such a term usage only permits others to perhaps use the term ... " parasites "... to describe the Elite Corps. Since we can naturally assume that the fans of the elite Corps do not want us to use the term " parasites " to describe their actions towards their brethern in the non elite Corps, we should likewise ask those who use the term " bottom feeders " to describe these 19th-40th placing Corps to consider another appropriate term to describe them. Just a request anyway as we move forward on this thread discussion. And I don't think it is asking too much here either, imo.

Edited by BRASSO

To state that the perennially placing 19th-40th placing DCI Corps bear some heavy responsibility for their own placement predicaments is accurate, imo. On the other hand, the comments we oftentimes hear that the Elite Corps bear little to no responsibility for these Corps placement predicaments is preposterous, and is not the sentiment that I share. I am not stating that YOU hold these elite Corps blameless, Guardling( as you havn't told us if they are or not, in your opinion ). But I am saying in no uncertain terms, so nobody misunderstands, that I do believe these elite Corps bear some level of responsibility for these Corps predicaments as well.

how are the top 12 of the previous year responsible for those 13-340? explain that one.

how are the top 12 of the previous year responsible for those 13-340? explain that one.

feeding off them each off season, in an uncompensated, wholly unregulated manner, for one. Although the 1tth and 12th positions are seemingly open to new faces ( but not entirely new faces ) each summer, for the most part the Top 10 are pretty much the same Corps every year now, and the lower 10 are pretty much the same every year now too. The top 10 Corps elites feed off the 19th-40th Corps ranks each and every summer to make themselves stay ahead of these Corps. Its been a highly successful drain of these Corps veteran talent every year. Yes, these 19th-40th placing Corps bear much of that responsibility for their plight. The systemic allowance of an unholy bleeding of these Corps by the Elites does not however ( imo ) make them blameless in the feeding frenzy. I might be in the minority in this assessment who knows, but thats my assessment of culpability in the stagnation of upward mobility, so unique to DCI in the competitive arena.

Edited by BRASSO

What? Seriously? Most corps now have open auditions. That means all 150 spots are open. So no one is guaranteed a spot. I only know of two who exercise that returning vets do not have to audition. But I'm certain that had changed in the past few years.

And no one is swooping in and stealing from other corps.

Do you really think caption heads are walking around the lot pulling kids aside and telling them "you should come here next year" wink wink? Bwahahahahahahaha

They aren't. What's next? You're going to say that SCV tells Pioneer what it needs to have in its show?

What? Seriously? Most corps now have open auditions. That means all 150 spots are open. So no one is guaranteed a spot. I only know of two who exercise that returning vets do not have to audition. But I'm certain that had changed in the past few years.

And no one is swooping in and stealing from other corps.

Do you really think caption heads are walking around the lot pulling kids aside and telling them "you should come here next year" wink wink? Bwahahahahahahaha

They aren't. What's next? You're going to say that SCV tells Pioneer what it needs to have in its show?

my friend, you just went down the rabbit hole.

• Like 2

No. Of course not. I never said, nor implied this either. The elites don't have to do this, because Its understood that the elites will provide the talented an unfettered access to secure a spot in their line. As an aside, I DO know of an example where an elite Corps Director did in fact pull a marcher aside from a lower placing Corps in the summer, and not only promised him a spot in his elite Corps the following season, but promised to waive the fees to march with them if he did so. The offer was declined and he stayed with his Corps. No, I don't believe this is a common ocurance by this Corps Director ( but I wouldn't really know, one way or the other) but just wanted to reply to your scenario you mentioned that at least in ONE situation that I'm personally aware of, what you described happened pretty much as you layed out here... ( although it was a Corps Director, not a " caption head ", in this situation. ) When Rennick left Phantom to go to SCV, was it required that he give even so much as a " wink, wink " to the vet Drummers that were still age eligible to leave Phantom and follow him out to the West Coast to SCV ? You tell me. But if you're unsure of the answer, the correct answer is.... " no ".

Edited by BRASSO