How Should We Score DCPI Season 26?

DCPI Season 26 Scoring  

9 members have voted

1. 1. How should we score DCPI Season 26?

• Direct Proportion
    • Weighted Proportion, 1-Year
    • Weighted Proportion, 3-Year
    • Cancel DCPI (for now)
    • Other (explain/suggest)

Due to DCI's new rules regarding not releasing full caption recaps, some changes will need to be made to DCPI.

First: it would take WAY too much programming to revise the back-end that John Donovan has created. No matter what, you will still have the same number of points, and choose the same eight captions (VGE, MGE, VP, VA, CG, BR, MA, PRC). But, how do we get to EIGHT subcaptions when DCI will only release three subtotals?

Option #1: Direct Proportion

The caption scores DCI releases will be applied in direct proportion to the subcaptions. For example, at a DCI show, the Blue Devils have a Visual subtotal of 27.00. Multiplied by 2/3, each visual subcaption would be 18.0 (18.0+18.0+18.0=54.0/2=27.00). Thus, DCPI's Polaris Regiment, who have BD in guard, would get 18.0 in guard. And DCPI's Marauders, who have BD in visual analysis, would get 18.0 in that sub-caption.

Advantage: really, really easy to figure out.

Disadvantage: complete removes corps strengths and weaknesses from captions.

Option #2: Weighted Proportion, 1-Year

At Finals in 2015, The Cadets scored 19.8 in brass, 19.2 in music analysis, and 19.5 in percussion. The total of those three subcaptions is 58.5, and they are thus weighted:

33.85% Brass

32.82% Music Analysis

33.33% Percussion

Thus, those percentage weightings would be applied to ALL Cadets scores throughout the season. Thus, if the Cadets get a music score of 25.50 at a show during 2016, their DCPI Brass score would be 17.26 (25.50x2x0.3385), Music Analysis would be 16.74 (25.50x2x0.3282), and Percussion would be 17.00 (25.50x2x0.3333).

Advantage: allows for "strong" and "weak" captions in DCPI

Disadvantage: no way to take into account strong or weak captions from DCI 2016

Option #3: Weighted Proportion, 3-Year

Same as Option #2, only taking into account each DCI corps' championship week scores from 2013-2015 instead of just 2015.

Option #4: Screw it

All of these ideas sound horrible, we should just scrap/put-on-hold DCPI until DCI changes course on their caption recaps (if they ever do).

Please let me know your thoughts.

I'm going to apply the KISS rule. At this point, whatever's the easiest to implement is probably the best way to go.

None of these are all that difficult: once I figure out the weighting needed, I can set up formulas in Excel to do all the work for me as the season progresses.

#1 and #2 are the easiest and my personal preferences. #3 is more work, and #1 I think would affect the intrigue of the game some (as it would mask corps weaknesses), but it would be workable.

Looks like direct proportion is the winner by a large margin. I'll start setting up the Summer season. Hope to have everything online the first week of June, which I know is coming up fast.

Season will begin on Friday, June 17th.

I had NO IDEA this was happening--what is their wisdom on this anyhow? they will release final scores I assume? man sometimes they mess with the things that dont need fixing and dont correct the ones that do

reluctantly vote option 1

I know Gary. If you thinking about slotting this all works out fine since most scoring across Visual or Music captions follows suit.. I mean right? haha.

Sadly now if we have something happen like Blue Stars 2014 CG we lose that in the game.