Need help playing DCI Blu-Rays on a Windows PC

Anybody successfully playing DCI Blu-Ray discs on a Windows computer?. I'm using Win10 64-bit (which AFAIK performs similarly to Win8 with Blu-Ray discs, i.e., you're on your own with a third-party app, because MS didn't want to pay licensing fees when relatively few users are trying to play Blu-Ray discs in Windows).

I finally took the Blu-Ray plunge and stocked up on DCI discs on sale recently because it feels to me like the train is leaving the station on the historical shows. I have no problem playing DCI Blu-Ray discs on a Blu-Ray player connected to an HDTV. As promised the video and audio resolution on the DCI Blu-Rays: fantastic and puts the DVDt to shame.

But using an internal Blu-Ray drive on a Win10 PC, things get pretty dicey with the DCI discs. If I use free player VLC, I can load and play one big file of six shows per disc, but only in High Camera view. VLC is documented to not support Blu-Ray disc menus. I can't find a similar MultiCamera file.

I'm on a free trial of Aiseesoft's Blu-Ray player app, which can load and play one big file of six shows per disc, but only in MultiCamera view. I cannot find a way to load the DCI Blu-Ray disc menu. Or play High Camera views.

Am I missing something? Is there Win10 software that can play a Blu-Ray disc with both views and/or full disc menu support as on DVD?

It's not a perfect solution but you can use the free trial of DVDFab 9 and rip the videos (individual performances) to your hard drive. Though, because it's a trial, you will have a watermark in the upper left corner...

• Like 1

Anybody successfully playing DCI Blu-Ray discs on a Windows computer?. I'm using Win10 64-bit (which AFAIK performs similarly to Win8 with Blu-Ray discs, i.e., you're on your own with a third-party app, because MS didn't want to pay licensing fees when relatively few users are trying to play Blu-Ray discs in Windows).

I finally took the Blu-Ray plunge and stocked up on DCI discs on sale recently because it feels to me like the train is leaving the station on the historical shows. I have no problem playing DCI Blu-Ray discs on a Blu-Ray player connected to an HDTV. As promised the video and audio resolution on the DCI Blu-Rays: fantastic and puts the DVDt to shame.

But using an internal Blu-Ray drive on a Win10 PC, things get pretty dicey with the DCI discs. If I use free player VLC, I can load and play one big file of six shows per disc, but only in High Camera view. VLC is documented to not support Blu-Ray disc menus. I can't find a similar MultiCamera file.

I'm on a free trial of Aiseesoft's Blu-Ray player app, which can load and play one big file of six shows per disc, but only in MultiCamera view. I cannot find a way to load the DCI Blu-Ray disc menu. Or play High Camera views.

Am I missing something? Is there Win10 software that can play a Blu-Ray disc with both views and/or full disc menu support as on DVD?

This is one of the very reasons that I don't have Windows 10 on my high-end PC...even though I know I'm giving up DirectX 12...I can give you a few options to try, but I have not personally used or tested them myself..so the solution may not work...

You can try using:

KMPlayer http://www.kmplayer.com/

Cyberlink PowerDVD Player (PM me for free link)

Alternatively...you may just want to rip the file off the Blu-Ray media altogether and put onto your PC. You can try using handbrake: https://handbrake.fr/

• Like 1

If you do want to rip the Blu-Ray tracks, both high and multi camera, you do want to use Handbrake.

Before you do, however, you'll also want to use a program called MakeMKV. This program is originally intended to create a backup copy of a Blu-Ray, but it has the added benefit of removing any copy protection from the files. If you don't do that, Handbrake will give you scrambled video and audio.

Both MakeMKV and Handbrake are free. You would spend only the time it would take to rip the video tracks to your computer.

MakeMKV website - http://www.makemkv.com/

Now, since the original discussion was about viewing your Blu-Rays on your computer, there are third party applications which MAY work and allow you to do so. The problem is that there's no guarantee the software will work, especially on Windows 10. I had purchased ArcSoft TotalMedia Theatre 5 when I had upgraded my laptop with a Blu-Ray drive so I could watch my Blu-Rays. Since upgrading my laptop to Windows 10, I haven't been able to use the software anymore. Same laptop, same hardware, but Windows 10 made a difference.

• Like 3