Good corps for my rookie year? 2017

I've posted before proudly exclaiming my confidence in auditioning for the Bluecoats, Carolina Crown, or the Blue Devils. But after some afterthought, I'm not so sure, as this will be my first time auditioning for any drum corps, and according to 2015, these are literally the top three. Should I go for something lower? I'm 17, Will be 18 when i march, I play Bari/Euph/Contra (although I've never held a marching Euph or Contra; what instrument I'm going to audition on is a mystery as well) and trombone but that's sort of irrelevant here. Don't get me wrong, I'm a great player imo. I'm a two-time TN All-State tuba player, three-time first chair regional tuba player, consistent superior-rated euphist at State solo and ensemble, my marching fundamentals are above average, and my attitude is great. The only reasons I'm not 100% confident that I'll be contracted into one of the top 3, is that I know I won't be able to audition for more than one of them (since all of their first camps are pretty much simultaneous) and I have no corps experience. Also, I'm not in the best physical shape. I'm only 109 pounds, marching season in high school takes quite a lot out of me every year, it pummels me frankly. I can only imagine what marching a corps would do to me. I'm very sorry to those that have read previous posts from me, but I'm thinking about this realistically now. Travel, money, likelihood of a contract are all things for serious consideration. Thank you very much for reading all of this, and I'd very much love some professional (or at least educated) insight.

~ Tristan.

I'm sure I'm not the first one to tell you this, but I wouldn't rule out marching an open class corps. You get virtually the same experience, and it's generally a lot cheaper. I can think of no better way to dip your toe into the water. In either case, you'll never know until you try.

• Like 1

I'm sure I'm not the first one to tell you this, but I wouldn't rule out marching an open class corps. You get virtually the same experience, and it's generally a lot cheaper. I can think of no better way to dip your toe into the water. In either case, you'll never know until you try.

I have considered this. I'm just not sure if this will be worth it. It just doesn't look the same to me. I don't mean to come off as snobby, but I really wanna be in a group that's really gonna wow people in the crowd. Again, sorry if this makes me snobby, or snooty or whatever.

Edited by BassClefTristan

But I'm not closed to the idea. It's not Unappealing, in fact, as I have friends in Music City.

Edited by BassClefTristan
  • Like 1

It sounds like your weighing of open class vs world class has to do with exposure and performance opportunities. If that's the case and you want to perform a lot more, as you would with a world class corps, I would suggest going to a lower tier world lass corps to get your feet wet like Colts or Spirit, (who is not far from you.) At those corps you will get excellent instruction and learn what being in a drum corps is really all about. You will also be surrounded by a lot of very good musicians, even in the lower tier. You will get 25-30 performance opportunities in a season as opposed to maybe 10-15 in open class. This would serve as a big stepping stone to marching in your dream corps after a year or two.

As for auditioning for the top corps for 2017, go ahead and do it anyways even if you decide to go lower tier. The opportunities to get a spot in the lower tier will still be there long after the first camps. But spending a camp with a group like Carolina Crown can be very educational and prepare you for your audition for the lower tier.

And as for your physical shape, start lifting weights as well as doing pushups and situps. Like now. Start building your upper body and core strength. You will need it to march low brass in drum corps. Also start running. Do both sprints and distance running and learn to regulate your breathing as you run. Rookies who have prepared their body before the season, handle the shock of how physically rigorous drum corps can be a lot better off than those who sit on the couch until move-in day.

Lastly, no matter what you end up choosing to do...MARCH!!!! You only have a finite amount of time to march junior drum corps. There is no experience like it in the world. Spending the summer with the worst corps in the world is better than sitting at home moping because you didn't make your dream corps.

Good luck!!! :smile:

Edited by Beckham
  • Like 1

... I'm not in the best physical shape. I'm only 109 pounds, marching season in high school takes quite a lot out of me every year, it pummels me frankly. ...

Your health and physical shape, and that alone, should be your first priority. If high school pummels you DCI will put you in the hospital with something like a slipped disc or even worse. Become extremely confident in your physical shape, then and only then take the step into the realm of DCI.

I have considered this. I'm just not sure if this will be worth it. It just doesn't look the same to me. I don't mean to come off as snobby, but I really wanna be in a group that's really gonna wow people in the crowd. Again, sorry if this makes me snobby, or snooty or whatever.

You do not seem to be snobby, but like most youth today you just appear to desire instant gratification instead of realizing that the real and true satisfactions in life are derived from delayed gratification. For example one cannot run into running the Olympics; you must first scoot on your belly, then crawl on your hands/knees, then fall down many times while learning to stand, then walk, then jog, then run through throwing up many times, then run fast enough with enough experience, endurance, persistence, and skill to even make an attempt the Olympic Trials. So with all self-honesty figure out where you are on that type of line, then audition for a corps at your realistic level which will challenge you to move to the next level.

Edited by Stu
  • Like 1

Your health and physical shape, and that alone, should be your first priority. If high school pummels you DCI will put you in the hospital with something like a slipped disc or even worse. Become extremely confident in your physical shape, then and only then take the step into the realm of DCI.

You do not seem to be snobby, but like most youth today you just appear to desire instant gratification instead of realizing that the real and true satisfactions in life are derived from delayed gratification. For example one cannot run into running the Olympics; you must first scoot on your belly, then crawl on your hands/knees, then fall down many times while learning to stand, then walk, then jog, then run through throwing up many times, then run fast enough with enough experience, endurance, persistence, and skill to even make an attempt the Olympic Trials. So with all self-honesty figure out where you are on that type of line, then audition for a corps at your realistic level which will challenge you to move to the next level.

But my question is, am I really at that level to audition for a corps such as the Blue Devils? I'm being pressured by my band director to audition for the Blue Devils, as he really thinks I can make it if I really try my hardest, and I'm a Devil fan myself as well, as well as other corps. But I honestly don't know what spectrum I fall within.

So... I'll tell it like it is.

Go where you want to go... do what they tell you to do (without hesitation)... practice and master what they give you to practice... keep coming back until they tell you to stop.

There is no reason why you can't go where ever you want right from the start. If you do well at one of the world class programs yet don't get picked... they often make names available to other organizations in the other classes who are are looking to fill holes.

If it was me, I would go to the top corps on your list that is geographically closest to you... and don't let anyone tell you that you would be wasting your time. Figure it out for yourself.

That's what most of us who have marched did. There is no formula or training pattern. Just pick a place and go audition.

• Like 3

But my question is, am I really at that level to audition for a corps such as the Blue Devils? I'm being pressured by my band director to audition for the Blue Devils, as he really thinks I can make it if I really try my hardest, and I'm a Devil fan myself as well, as well as other corps. But I honestly don't know what spectrum I fall within.

Only follow yourself, use those you trust as mentors and guides, seek advice from experienced people, but again follow your own conscience (without pressure from anyone). If you audition for BD and do not make it you will receive instruction on how to improve. But delayed gratification typically yields greater success; and with that much of the experience, persistence, fortitude, and tenacity it takes to actually perform at that level is not learned at audition camps but only out on the road in the grind of all-day pain with a corps that you actually make and tour with. And by the way, if you are honest with yourself without succumbing to pressure from anyone, you will know about what spectrum ballpark you fall in.

• Like 1

I've posted before proudly exclaiming my confidence in auditioning for the Bluecoats, Carolina Crown, or the Blue Devils. But after some afterthought, I'm not so sure, as this will be my first time auditioning for any drum corps, and according to 2015, these are literally the top three. Should I go for something lower? I'm 17, Will be 18 when i march, I play Bari/Euph/Contra (although I've never held a marching Euph or Contra; what instrument I'm going to audition on is a mystery as well) and trombone but that's sort of irrelevant here. Don't get me wrong, I'm a great player imo. I'm a two-time TN All-State tuba player, three-time first chair regional tuba player, consistent superior-rated euphist at State solo and ensemble, my marching fundamentals are above average, and my attitude is great. The only reasons I'm not 100% confident that I'll be contracted into one of the top 3, is that I know I won't be able to audition for more than one of them (since all of their first camps are pretty much simultaneous) and I have no corps experience. Also, I'm not in the best physical shape. I'm only 109 pounds, marching season in high school takes quite a lot out of me every year, it pummels me frankly. I can only imagine what marching a corps would do to me. I'm very sorry to those that have read previous posts from me, but I'm thinking about this realistically now. Travel, money, likelihood of a contract are all things for serious consideration. Thank you very much for reading all of this, and I'd very much love some professional (or at least educated) insight.

~ Tristan.

Here's the same advice I'd give my own kid - and I've had the honor of 2 of them marching with the best there is. Go to a camp of your future destination corps. If it's Bluecoats, Crown, BD, whomever. These camps provide the very best instruction in the activity and you'll get feedback from some very smart people. You'll get an idea of where you stack up, what you need to work on, and get a feel for the culture of the organization and how they do things. Go for the experience and don't pin all your hopes on getting a call back. If you do, great. If not, you're a bizillion steps closer to reaching your goal than 99% of the others who will be home playing video games. Good for you! One thing about BD, they don't provide housing. For a newbie, part of the fun, I think, is a full 24-hour day drum corps experience. But, if you're getting advice from someone within BD, I would certainly give that some weight. Now, the next thing is to have an Open Class corps in mind. Many of the Open Class corps purposely hold their camps after the November camps of the big guys. They'll get some of the prospective members who didn't make the cut from the top tier corps. My choice for an Open Class corps would be Music City. I love Music City - well run, great culture, instruction, etc. Very reasonable cost-wise as well. For all that it's worth, you'd have a tremendous time with them. Now, for world-class instruction - I don't think it gets any better than Crown. As I mentioned before, you'll find the experience to be extremely worthwhile. But again, experience both a championship-caliber team and have a great first season with a corps like Music City. Remember, have fun! It's not the wins as much as it is the experience of doing something that you'll carry with you the rest of your life. You'll remember the experience long after you've forgotten the scores.

Best wishes!

Edited by drumcorpsfever
  • Like 2