Alternate Spots/Taking advantage of kids

Which brings to question - why have alternates?

Life happens. So do injuries and sickness.

I've taught several corps that have carried alternates, and in every single case, those alternates made it into the show by the end.

• Like 1

Just the Thank You from Matt Harloff would have been enough for me.

But I'm a geek who doesn't expect much.

We were all beaming and proud.

It's up to the individual. Want general experience or specific experience?

If you do everything except march a spot, is that experience valuable? Not for me to decide.

TOTALLY agree; what I personally think is irrelevant to want someone else chooses as a valuable and worthy experience. If someone knows explicitly what an offered role is and they decide to take it, why should I care?

if you're going to go on the internet and post such a disparaging claim USE YOUR DARN NAME!!?!?@@

IMHO

Otherwise it merits zero response and carries the weight of half a feather

Couple things:

1. I didn't take the OP's words as "disparaging" Cavaliers. I saw it more as a "I heard this happen, what do you all think about it."

2. You say it merits zero response, yet this is your 5th response w/6 responses from you on the first 2 pages alone (out of 7).

• Like 4

This post was enough to take me out of early retirement. :satisfied:

To answer the OP's question:

Although the position title is the same, I imagine almost every corps has a slightly different policy regarding alternates. If you sift through the thread, you'll see some explanation of how it's handled with some groups, but it's complicated.

In my opinion, the important thing for any corps-student relationship is that the expectations are clear up front. While it may seem unfair on the outside, it's absolutely possible that the young man was placed on alternate status without a guarantee of a full position. It's not always clear or intended that the alternate is next in line, and in fact often a corps would rather have a veteran member brought in to fill the blank over a rookie, regardless of talent level. Lots of variables to unpack, and each situation is unique. Ideally, corps have alternates that are just as good as the people in the line, but more often than not, they are one or two steps away from really deserving that spot.

Where it gets ugly is if there's a bait and switch going on. It probably feels that way to either the alternate or alternate's parent(s), but it *may* not actually be the case. The Cavaliers are a well respected organization. I'd be willing to bet they were clear when they offered the contract/alternate status. I'm sure it feels icky, but a) it probably isn't and b) there's still a chance this young man may be able to get a performing spot before the end of the season.

• Like 1

as likely as having the BD march 5 Unicorns

If you'd picked any other corps than BD I'd have gone along with you but if anyone is going to march unicorns it's BD! They'd find a way.

• Like 1

2. You say it merits zero response, yet this is your 5th response w/6 responses from you on the first 2 pages alone (out of 7).

I have been thinking this for the last couple of pages...... right on!!!

• Like 1

Couple things:

1. I didn't take the OP's words as "disparaging" Cavaliers. I saw it more as a "I heard this happen, what do you all think about it."

Totally agree

I have seen it done right and I have seen it done wrong and I have seen it done very wrong.

The usage of alternates varies widely.

Side note: On one of the "done wrongs" the alternate still came back after a decidedly poor experience and marched a full time spot the next 2 years. Go figure.

I don't know about all corps' policy, but at least one Finalist corps states in their form financial contract that if an alternate does not receive a full position prior to the first show, then (s)he gets a 50% refund of the tour fees, so long as (s)he continues on for the full tour, even if later on (s)he actually gets a chance to march for them.

BAC has a policy where you only pay the full amount based on how many weeks you have a full spot in the corps.