DCI Spotlight of the Week; 1986 Blue Devils!

I like reading the "Spotlight of the Week" articles that Mr. Boo writes weekly. He really goes in depth with the shows.

But yeah, I avoid those videos at all costs ever since they changed the format.

As for the topic, I like BD 1986. Not my absolute favorite show of the decade, but nicely done nevertheless. I always appreciate the corps playing Channel One!

Mr. Boo was my dad. I'm just Mike. And I enjoy doing the Spotlights. Doing the research on them allows me to relive those shows all over again.

I'm hoping I still have you as a reader. (And by the way, I have nothing to do with the music selection.)

Perhaps then you should... although it's a no win situation.

I'm hoping I still have you as a reader. (And by the way, I have nothing to do with the music selection.)

Of course you do, Sir. I hope there's never a question of that. In fact, I often go back and read many of your articles of the past. Informative, and well-written. I should have been clearer: I was speaking of the videos. I'm sorry for my lack of clarity.

No video or audio can possibly recreate my first viewing of '86 BD, my second year of live DCI. I didn't really care for their "classical jazz" turn in '85. We were sitting in Camp Randall on the 50 yard line about 25 rows up for semis. When they hit that enormous company front near the end, it just blew back our hair like nothing since. Hoo boy. What an experience.

The '86 BD DCI finals performance was the cleanest horn show I had seen in person to that date.

Unfortunately, a gentleman seated in the row ahead of us suffered a heart attack just as finals was starting.

The medical team was there right away, but I always wondered if he survived.

Excellent write up, Mike! 86 was great.... However, I am partial to the show to which this show paid tribute.

:cool:

What I would love to see Mike, is the visual still be there but read your article instead. NO music in place of the real deal would work. Spoken voice however, I think would be great.

• Like 1