Intrigue In Indy

Thought the Coats were the most ready. Was surprised Crown was so close. I said in a thread last year that if the Coats decided to remain cutting edge musically, they should go to total-corps costuming...and they did! Loved how they looked. Hope they can do some other stuff with the props fior variety.

Crown's snow was also quite ready. Loved the Steampunk-looking stagecoach. Hope they can utilize it a little more...liked how the trumpet soloist in Hallelujah was perched on it.

Cadets are dirty, of course. I did get a sneaking feeling after watching the last two that the visual enhancements they are adding seem layered on top of a traditional show, not as integral as Coats and Crown.

Cavies have a lot of cool drill, and while the theme concept is not a favorite of mine (ditto the old Crossmen show with a similar theme...probably my age showing!), I was not surprised how close to the Cadets they were...would not have been real surprised if they had come in third, actually.

I always love Regiment, even if they are not as cutting edge as other corps design-wise. Guard costumes are very elegant, and the charts are pure Regiment....a good thing to me.

BAC was a pleasant surprise. Really enjoyed the music, and the props fit in nicely to me. My favorite BAC in over a decade.

• Like 2

That isn't a bad thing! Both of those high schools' programming are DCI Champion caliber.

Even waiving penalties for the use of woodwinds and having too many members, Avon, Tarpon Springs, Broken Arrow, etc. would score about 70 in DCI Finals. Lovely productions, but they benefit from being much, much easier than almost everything in DCI.

I can't figure out if Bluecoats have advanced the activity 10 years or I absolutely despise them.

I love this comment. Lots of people felt similarly after the debut of last year's show.

[Phantom Regiment was] Visually a disaster.

They had to use a metronome during the first ballad. lol

Is that what I was hearing? I kept thinking, "That woodblock doesn't really fit here."

Is that what I was hearing? I kept thinking, "That woodblock doesn't really fit here."

Apparently they accidentally somehow turned on a metronome. Wasn't on purpose

Thought the Coats were the most ready. Was surprised Crown was so close. I said in a thread last year that if the Coats decided to remain cutting edge musically, they should go to total-corps costuming...and they did! Loved how they looked. Hope they can do some other stuff with the props fior variety.

Crown's snow was also quite ready. Loved the Steampunk-looking stagecoach. Hope they can utilize it a little more...liked how the trumpet soloist in Hallelujah was perched on it.

Cadets are dirty, of course. I did get a sneaking feeling after watching the last two that the visual enhancements they are adding seem layered on top of a traditional show, not as integral as Coats and Crown.

Cavies have a lot of cool drill, and while the theme concept is not a favorite of mine (ditto the old Crossmen show with a similar theme...probably my age showing!), I was not surprised how close to the Cadets they were...would not have been real surprised if they had come in third, actually.

I always love Regiment, even if they are not as cutting edge as other corps design-wise. Guard costumes are very elegant, and the charts are pure Regiment....a good thing to me.

BAC was a pleasant surprise. Really enjoyed the music, and the props fit in nicely to me. My favorite BAC in over a decade.

I agree, nearly across the board.

I also am not a huge fan of "protest" shows or similar themes, like the Cavies this year... but they certainly perform it well.

I'm not sure there is a more elegant color guard out there than that of Phantom Regiment. Pure class, every year. Musically, it seemed as if PR's show had basically two ballads in it... either that or I was hearing things that weren't there. Wouldn't be the first time. :tongue: But I wonder if a show structured like this will hurt, or help, them as the season goes on.

Bluecoats show was like watching a Cirque du Soleil production. Mesmerizing. I've never seen anything quite like it before.

• Like 2

Congrats to Bluecoats on winning the first show of the season!

That being said, watch out: the corps below you may pass you once they clean up some of their dirt. However, I'd love for you to prove me wrong!

It is shaping up to be another competitive season of drum corps!

Edited by loopin' froot loops

Even waiving penalties for the use of woodwinds and having too many members, Avon, Tarpon Springs, Broken Arrow, etc. would score about 70 in DCI Finals. Lovely productions, but they benefit from being much, much easier than almost everything in DCI.

Is this what we're doing tonight? Talking about highschool bands in DCI?