Evening with the Corps/Lehman PA

Sky's contest is in a really beautiful region of Pennsylvania, and the trip from Nanticoke up to Lehman is one of the nicest drives I've taken in sometime within the state. the only drives I've taken of late that rival it are down the Shenandoah Valley and in West Virginia.

The big problem was the lack of some easily read and important road signs in a couple of key turns, but I'd been there around 25ish years ago and had enough of the lay of the land to make it in time. It might not hurt for a couple of signs to be set on PA 118 with an arrow to the contest near Cook's(??) or along with the PSU campus sign.

The stadium's very nice, clean, and modest so you want to get there early for the best seats. The LLHS parents ran a good operation for the food, very fair prices, and they really made an effort to take care of customers quickly.

There was still room in the stadium- and I'd encourage people to come to this contest next year if they were on the fence for it. I-84 and I-80 are near enough to the location that I think people can make the trek if they set their minds to it from the NJ/NY/CT region.

Let's cut to the chase in show order. I want to make things very clear from the start that I'll be talking about some issues with the competitors, this early in the season, it wasn't all Care Bears and Little Ponies. That's okay! I feel that with everything I'm going to talk about that these issues are going to get fixed in a pretty reasonable amount of time with a bit of hard work. The staffs and memberships of these teams are too talented and capable to let any of these issues slide on and continue to be a drag on their programs.

Also, my numbers are very approximate. I always appreciate it when Corps staffs and members correct them for me. They know because they're there- and I'm trying to do a fast count to give a rough idea of the numbers for the readers.

I was seated 3 rows up on the 50 in a small stadium, the face-peel seating, which I really enjoy now and again. Usually I'll be top row 50, except for Big Sounds, but this was fine and fun for me to experience.

First, the Bridgemen Alumni and their "Farewell Tour". (65 Horns, 2 Main Guard, 16Color Guard, 3 Front Ensemble, 18 Battery, 4 Drum Majors/Hype Men)

It was a pleasant sight to see Dennis DeLucia present- and that showed with the percussion's quality and performance. The quality and depth of the brass section was notable. The big secret is that they've got a larger and far more robust Low Brass section this year that really can bring it hard and clean, and the fullness really keeps the sound strong, full and very stable.

The show- "Pagliacci", complete with the excellent banana-man soloist, "Land of Make-Believe" with a concert number of the classic Larry Kerchner arrangement of "My Favorite Things", which I deeply appreciated because it was done well and the corps gets the style and nuance of the piece. This arrangement was way ahead of its time and still poses technical challenges that hold up today. three against 4, complex meter, constant style and metric changes, I can go on- and it's also fun and enjoyable to listen to when it's not butchered and fumbled- which I've been unfortunately been subjected too off and on recently.

The show closes with the "William tell Overture", and the corps isn't afraid to park and cut loose, and the sound's really great for June.

The only wish that I had was that they might have played "Soulero" this year, It's one of those personal favorites of mine that might not be well known or as famous as a lot of other Bridgemen repertoire, but I do like it. Still this was a quality performance and a lot of fun for everyone, performers, staff and audience.

The first competitor was the Bushwackers (7FE/22CG/1DM/24 Brass/19Battery) with their "Piano Forte" program consisting of selections such as Billy Joel, Clair D'Lune, and the Emerson, Lake, and Palmer Piano Concerto.

Bush has a wonderfully controlled brass section, and the show has enormous potential, and I mean enormous- I think this program is one people can really enjoy this season and also delve into if you're a geek like myself. It just has a far better zen and vibe than the programs presented over the last 2 seasons. The judge's scores bear out the potential in this program with the wide spreads between the book and performer- and this was deserved.

The opening fanfare is gonna be great when the corps can polish it up over the next couple of weeks.

I had a sense of jitters from the young corps which will also clean up as they become more confident with the program. There are a lot of high-energy segments that will really shine when this happens.

The big issue right now was one of continuity as they performed the run. The corps understands the individual phrases and chunks, but they're having trouble connecting those singular ideas into flowing, longer thoughts at this point.

This show is pretty challenging, especially as the show continues. One needs to have a really delicate and gossamer feel for "Claire D'Lune" and right now you can hear the feet in the music at times, and the brass might be over-controlling and trying to play too softy. Sometimes, one's better playing a touch louder so that the notes speak and don't crack- it's a very fine line to walk.

The "Chopsticks" percussion feature will be a really solid moment once the battery gets the nicks and croodles out of the performance. The battery's been the pillar of strength for Bush for several seasons, and I'm confident they'll pull this though easily.

I can't write what I thought about the challenges to the brass in the ELP closer. It's rather... "difficult" with a lot of things being thrown back and forth between the lower and upper brass. The first part of the segment had some clarity issues, and I had a feeling that the brass isn't comfortable with the piece- they don't seem to have the feel and style down at this point and that they need to buy into and relax.

The performance indicated to me that the show is technically solid enough to make finals, and again- I'm confident the corps will solve the continuity issues and become more confident and fluid to do well this season if they grind hard in rehearsal, buy into the program, and commit themselves.

• Like 1

When I heard about Bob Zazzara, I was and am upset. It's why I kind of took my time about the review. My heart goes out to the White Sabres and to Bob's son, who I also know. I know if I'm as upset as I am- I'm certain the corps is far more upset, and I don't blame them.

I got to hang out with Bob about 20-25 years ago, and I can say I am the better for it. Bob was a very astute and sharp guy- he could look at something, get exactly to the crux of the problem if there was a problem, why it was a problem and then offer several methods/options to make things a lot better for the corps. Every time I was around him, I learned and became better. To me, he's in great company with guys like Ray Eyler, Frank Dorritie, and Dave Rohrer in that way.

The other thing that strikes me about Bob was how positive he was- he was a guy who got people to believe they could solve problems and get better if they kept at it and approached things intelligently. With no doubt, he was one of the people who helped bring a real change in how the activity was taught- by people who really wanted to help their people grow and learn and brought that "can-do" vibe.

Again, I offer my sympathies to the White Sabers family and to his son, Bob, Jr.

The Sabres' (26 Brass/7FE/5MG/14 Battery/20CG) hearts had to be heavy when they performed their "Unrequited" program, which consists mainly of works by Tchaikovsky with a piece by Evanescence and tries to tell the story of a couple that finds love... perhaps.

I think the corps performed quite well for so early. The corps showed a lot of control in the varied effort changes and in the softer writing that was woven into the book. They brass just needs to refine the nuance in their program.

When the duet in the Evanescence segment gets locked down, this is going to be a great moment- and the ensemble already is sounding beautiful in this segment, and will only improve.

As compared to Bush, the Sabres had a real veteran feel and vibe as they performed and it will hold them in good stead this season.

The final shout at the end of the program will also blow down the place when it becomes locked down later in the season.

The big issue to me is the telling of the story. From the looks of it, there'll be added elements as the season progresses that will help to visually carry the story of the two individuals who fall in and out.. and in(?) love throughout the program.I'm going to look forward to seeing this show evolve and for everything to lock in more tightly. I think and also hope the fans will enjoy the sound and flow of the White Sabres this season.

Okay- I have half the show covered! Fusion, Sky and the Sky Alumni will have to wait. Discuss, comment, it's all good! I should have this finished by 4ish AM Tomorrow. :satisfied:

• Like 1

Sky's contest is in a really beautiful region of Pennsylvania, and the trip from Nanticoke up to Lehman is one of the nicest drives I've taken in sometime within the state. the only drives I've taken of late that rival it are down the Shenandoah Valley and in West Virginia.

The big problem was the lack of some easily read and important road signs in a couple of key turns, but I'd been there around 25ish years ago and had enough of the lay of the land to make it in time. It might not hurt for a couple of signs to be set on PA 118 with an arrow to the contest near Cook's(??) or along with the PSU campus sign.

The stadium's very nice, clean, and modest so you want to get there early for the best seats. The LLHS parents ran a good operation for the food, very fair prices, and they really made an effort to take care of customers quickly.

There was still room in the stadium- and I'd encourage people to come to this contest next year if they were on the fence for it. I-84 and I-80 are near enough to the location that I think people can make the trek if they set their minds to it from the NJ/NY/CT region.

Let's cut to the chase in show order. I want to make things very clear from the start that I'll be talking about some issues with the competitors, this early in the season, it wasn't all Care Bears and Little Ponies. That's okay! I feel that with everything I'm going to talk about that these issues are going to get fixed in a pretty reasonable amount of time with a bit of hard work. The staffs and memberships of these teams are too talented and capable to let any of these issues slide on and continue to be a drag on their programs.

Also, my numbers are very approximate. I always appreciate it when Corps staffs and members correct them for me. They know because they're there- and I'm trying to do a fast count to give a rough idea of the numbers for the readers.

I was seated 3 rows up on the 50 in a small stadium, the face-peel seating, which I really enjoy now and again. Usually I'll be top row 50, except for Big Sounds, but this was fine and fun for me to experience.

First, the Bridgemen Alumni and their "Farewell Tour". (65 Horns, 2 Main Guard, 16Color Guard, 3 Front Ensemble, 18 Battery, 4 Drum Majors/Hype Men)

It was a pleasant sight to see Dennis DeLucia present- and that showed with the percussion's quality and performance. The quality and depth of the brass section was notable. The big secret is that they've got a larger and far more robust Low Brass section this year that really can bring it hard and clean, and the fullness really keeps the sound strong, full and very stable.

The show- "Pagliacci", complete with the excellent banana-man soloist, "Land of Make-Believe" with a concert number of the classic Larry Kerchner arrangement of "My Favorite Things", which I deeply appreciated because it was done well and the corps gets the style and nuance of the piece. This arrangement was way ahead of its time and still poses technical challenges that hold up today. three against 4, complex meter, constant style and metric changes, I can go on- and it's also fun and enjoyable to listen to when it's not butchered and fumbled- which I've been unfortunately been subjected too off and on recently.

The show closes with the "William tell Overture", and the corps isn't afraid to park and cut loose, and the sound's really great for June.

The only wish that I had was that they might have played "Soulero" this year, It's one of those personal favorites of mine that might not be well known or as famous as a lot of other Bridgemen repertoire, but I do like it. Still this was a quality performance and a lot of fun for everyone, performers, staff and audience.

The first competitor was the Bushwackers (7FE/22CG/1DM/24 Brass/19Battery) with their "Piano Forte" program consisting of selections such as Billy Joel, Clair D'Lune, and the Emerson, Lake, and Palmer Piano Concerto.

Bush has a wonderfully controlled brass section, and the show has enormous potential, and I mean enormous- I think this program is one people can really enjoy this season and also delve into if you're a geek like myself. It just has a far better zen and vibe than the programs presented over the last 2 seasons. The judge's scores bear out the potential in this program with the wide spreads between the book and performer- and this was deserved.

The opening fanfare is gonna be great when the corps can polish it up over the next couple of weeks.

I had a sense of jitters from the young corps which will also clean up as they become more confident with the program. There are a lot of high-energy segments that will really shine when this happens.

The big issue right now was one of continuity as they performed the run. The corps understands the individual phrases and chunks, but they're having trouble connecting those singular ideas into flowing, longer thoughts at this point.

This show is pretty challenging, especially as the show continues. One needs to have a really delicate and gossamer feel for "Claire D'Lune" and right now you can hear the feet in the music at times, and the brass might be over-controlling and trying to play too softy. Sometimes, one's better playing a touch louder so that the notes speak and don't crack- it's a very fine line to walk.

The "Chopsticks" percussion feature will be a really solid moment once the battery gets the nicks and croodles out of the performance. The battery's been the pillar of strength for Bush for several seasons, and I'm confident they'll pull this though easily.

I can't write what I thought about the challenges to the brass in the ELP closer. It's rather... "difficult" with a lot of things being thrown back and forth between the lower and upper brass. The first part of the segment had some clarity issues, and I had a feeling that the brass isn't comfortable with the piece- they don't seem to have the feel and style down at this point and that they need to buy into and relax.

The performance indicated to me that the show is technically solid enough to make finals, and again- I'm confident the corps will solve the continuity issues and become more confident and fluid to do well this season if they grind hard in rehearsal, buy into the program, and commit themselves.

Thank you for the positive review of Bush, we have a hard working corps this season with a lot of promise. Edited by HBD

Thank you for the positive review of Bush, we have a hard working corps this season with a lot of promise.

I like the show and think Dennis Argyll really wrote a nice, thoughtful book. Now ya just gotta rip off the boxtop and play what's in it. :satisfied:

• Like 1

The next competitor was the contest host, the Skyliners (7FE/5MG/4DM/10CG/16 Battery/32 Brass) with their "Corner of the Sky" program.

The Skyliners have been very smart in their rebuild of their organization. The steps they've taken have been ones with a long-term goal in mind, to make sure that the corps will be around for many years to come, and not just be a flash-in-the-pan. Hosting this show has to be a part of the long term plan, and it's a real positive move on their part.

I really liked the opening fanfare, it's well written and was played with a lot of enthusiasm. In fact, the corps had a lot of energy throughout the program, and it was great to see the performers a lot more relaxed, mature, and confident this season. The effort they've put in over the last 2 seasons and the experience they gained is beginning to really pay off for the corps in an important way.

What surprised me was that Sky used electronics a lot more than the other competitors. The ideas and writing are very solid as to how they relate musically to the brass and percussion, though I thought it may have been a bit too loud- but that could have been because I wasn't at box level. They'll need to bit of tweaking to get an acoustic situation where the keyboards fit with the rest of the ensemble more like a well-tailored suit and to have a more integrated feel to them.

There were also some stick-outs in the brass, but at this point of the season, I don't view this as a problem. Why? it means the brass staff can push those who don't know their parts with confidence to get their game on, and I think it's also easier to pull back from overplaying a little then to have to beg people to play out. It's better to bring everyone up to the level of your stronger players- ask the Blue Devils.

When I look at my notes, I see the term "energy and energetic" a lot with Sky. They put out a strong brass sound for their size, the arrangements, particularly of "Mister Blue Skies" have a lot of that, and that's important for this corps to have that bright and upbeat vibe to it. The Front Ensemble really brought that energy and a lot of musicality to the run.

The battery is presenting much better this season, too.

The arrangement of "Orange Colored Sky" took some different angles than I'm used to hearing, but it was fresh and thoughtful, and I liked those ideas.

The end of the show was very much a modern interpretation of the traditional Skyliner "lay it out and knock 'em down" finish to the program, and the crowd really appreciated it as well as myself. Yes, they had a lot of very supportive family and alumni in the stands, but I really felt the reaction was well deserved, it wasn't fake or contrived. Old schoolers don't give it up for anyone unless they really deserve it, especially the Skyliners Alumni.

The corps did well, and I also really appreciated Adam Burdett's conducting that evening. I talked to some of the Alumni, many who I competed against- and I really believe guys like Butch Anderson and Ray "Konga" Richardson's conducting were really underappreciated by a lot of people. And believe me, the Sky alumni are more insistent about that them I am. :satisfied: Those guys conducted very well if you watched them- and I did. Adam's very much in their style and vibe, and I think that's a good thing for DCA and for his corps.

I think this is the first time Sky's outscored Bush since their reboot- and I'm sure some people are out there thinking, "How, they only took GE Music and Brass!?"

Simple- The DCA scoring weighs effect very heavily as compared to Scholastic scoring systems, (which understandably have heavy value on educational aspects like difficulty and quality) and there's something else I noticed as well-- I think this season we may see the GE Communication score become less of a sock puppet to the overall GE number. This also happened here. Those numbers floated more of a distance away from the GE numbers in this instance. Sky presented very confidently at the show, and really tried hard to reach out to their audience and made more things happen that night. It's a case of the DCA system working as it's intended to work.

I'll more or less make some "predictions" here. I think the competition between Sky and Bush is worth watching very closely this season. Why? Both have shows that are going to be very exciting and enjoyable to watch, and are working hard to compete and do very well. They'll push each other very, very hard to become as excellent as they can be. Both have different dynamics to contend with. Both need to clean, Sky more than Bush based on the judge's numbers, conventional wisdom says that's an advantage for Sky- but as Sky tries to narrow the performance numbers against Bush, as Bush gets better, their GE numbers will also start narrowing the gap, and with the weight DCA throws into GE, well... I think you've got a situation here where both corps may go back and forth from contest to contest. Given that you've got Alliance and the Govies thrown into the mix as well as Carolina Gold trying to get back into Finals, for both of these corps, ideally for both, they'll push each other into the top 10, and they certainly could if they don't let up in their rehearsals.

Aiight, I'll get to Fusion and Sky alumni after work. I have a full plate of things since I moved from the West Shore to the East Shore.

I hope that so far, that people are reading that there's a lot of good out there this season in DCA- and I mean it!

• Like 1

Great stuff as usual, W!!!!

Hope to get a chance to say hello Saturday.

Lunch break so I'll keep it short- Fran.... how about 2 more underappreciated DM's from that period- Mr. Hart and Mr. Little? :wink:

I hear ya!!!

Tom Hart was with us in Sun for only two full seasons... 1977 and '78... and the last two weeks of the 1980 season. And he's in the Sunrisers Hall of Fame. An indication of how much he meant to us, despite only being with the corps for a relatively short time.

He was the quintessential leader, as well as an excellent conductor and great personality on the podium.

And Tony... amazing. Another Sun Hall of Famer and another great leader. He would get the most out of us, and had a knack for knowing when to let us blow off some steam at rehearsals....LOL... and when to step in and get us back on track.

• Like 1

Bush seems to be younger this season-- It's a case of these young cats learning how each other zigs and zags when they perform.

The best snare example I can think of was crazy-scary. I watched Tom Aungst and Bill Pease play together when we were at WCU. It was insane! These two guys moved as one individual with the body and sticks. I'll never forget that experience.