Mantology in Mankato - 6 July 2016, Mankato, MN

If people here are comparing scores from different nites, different shows, and they are frustrated with the scores they see, then I really don't have a scintilla of sympathy for them. Seriously.They are apparently chronically heedless, and as a result of this, they have richly deserved their personal frustrations with this " compare the scores from around the country " sheetshow exercise they foolishly engage in each season ( lol!)

I didn't compare, just wasn't expecting to fluctuate QUITE as much as they are. It's hard to gauge much of anything night to night.

I am THRILLED about the scores being unpredictable. As others have said, I am looking at spreads at individual shows-

not comparing one show's scores to another's. I have always thought way TOO LITTLE consideration was given to

true show dynamics regarding judge reactions:
Temperature

Field (thick grass, short grass, flat field, turf, etc.)

Press box distance from field

Press box open or with windows (wide windows, small windows, etc.)

Corps performing in the dark, light, dusk, etc.

Day after rest

Day after changes

Day after a "rehearsal beating"

Show order

Humidity

Bus issues

Good warm-up/bad warm-up

Bad electronic run

And many other "show dynamics"

To play devil's advocate, perhaps what is happening is EXACTLY what we have all been wanting. No recaps, less slotting.

Reacting to the true performance of that evening and that evening alone, equaling more diverse and varied spreads.

I expect this to all become more evened out as time passes, as changes lessen, and comfort levels of both performer and

judge increase.

I love the added excitement and do not see it as a complete reflection of poor judging or a poor system.

• Like 4

I am THRILLED about the scores being unpredictable. As others have said, I am looking at spreads at individual shows-

not comparing one show's scores to another's. I have always thought way TOO LITTLE consideration was given to

true show dynamics regarding judge reactions:

Temperature

Field (thick grass, short grass, flat field, turf, etc.)

Press box distance from field

Press box open or with windows (wide windows, small windows, etc.)

Corps performing in the dark, light, dusk, etc.

Day after rest

Day after changes

Day after a "rehearsal beating"

Show order

Humidity

Bus issues

Good warm-up/bad warm-up

Bad electronic run

And many other "show dynamics"

To play devil's advocate, perhaps what is happening is EXACTLY what we have all been wanting. No recaps, less slotting.

Reacting to the true performance of that evening and that evening alone, equaling more diverse and varied spreads.

I expect this to all become more evened out as time passes, as changes lessen, and comfort levels of both performer and

judge increase.

I love the added excitement and do not see it as a complete reflection of poor judging or a poor system.

Exactly my thoughts. People may be itching to see recaps, but I'm enjoying the ride of not knowing what the heck is going on

apparently the GEM guy was more than three and half points "off" cc's last GEM score. score was lower than opening night!!

and no -- they didnt have any sort of disaster during the run.

Scores are isolated numbers. Can't compare to other shows ESPECIALLY with small panels.

GE 1J.R. Carlisle

GE 2N. Waters

Vis Ana C. Chruch

Mus Brass M. Hoskins

Mus Ana C. Armbruster

only 1 vis judge and when that has happened scores have been low.

Take out the CG caption for Crown. 😳

. It's hard to gauge much of anything night to night.

Sounds to me like the DCI new policy for the judges is working as intended.

If fans ( and judges ) can't gauge anything from nite to nite.... then praise the lord.... its happening, and its LONG overdue. Anything that upsets the placement applecart, and the placement status quo that DCI is so known for, is as refreshing as a cold frosty on a hot summer's day, in my view.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Scores are isolated numbers. Can't compare to other shows ESPECIALLY with small panels.

you can compare numbers relative to each other. rest of the panel was ball park on +/-.

and you can look at the growth of numbers in a caption over time. if your brass number is

10,10.2, 10.1, 10.4, 10.5 ,10.7

if you get a 7.1 it's gonna raise a red flag.

you can compare numbers relative to each other. rest of the panel was ball park on +/-.

and you can look at the growth of numbers in a caption over time. if your brass number is

10,10.2, 10.1, 10.4, 10.5 ,10.7

if you get a 7.1 it's gonna raise a red flag.

Ok so GE number was down but by which guy or both? Staff gets that info correct?

ALL AGE
Minn Brass 59.5
Governaires 53.3
OPEN
Colt Cadets 46.0
River City Rhythm 44.9
WORLD
Carolina Crown 73.9
Blue Stars 67.4
Colts 63.7
Pioneer 53.9

Well, the two Open Class corps see their scores climb by more than two points, so there's that.

The All Age corps numbers are bizarre, as usual, which makes it especially impossible to gauge how MBI will fare against the Bucs, or Govies against, say, White Sabers.