Drum Majors Milking Applause...

@cappybara

It just feels ingenuine when the DM milks the spotlight simply because they can.

Why shouldn't they?

• Like 1

Ummm... Dan Veerhusen of 1980 Madison Scouts...(epic moments in drum corps) or Jimmy Russo of the Hawthorne Caballeros. That's not "milking" -- that's "connecting with the audience." Dan V. explained to me that his role as DM was to "channel the energy" back and forth between the field and the audience. I like a "personality" DM -- not a robot metronome. Search for one of the threads on "Greatest DMs of all time" or along those lines. A good DM can become "the face" of the drum corps, especially if they last a few seasons in the role (more of a DCA thing than DCI.) It's "showmanship." Drum corps is, after all, ENTERTAINMENT.

• Like 1

I agree.... there's a point where if the DM becomes the whole show... or tries to....LOL... that's not good at all, and I don't blame corps members for having problems with that. I would, too, if I were still marching. Job One on the podium remains keeping the corps in time, the whole show.

But I'd prefer to see at least a bit of personality, compared to a robo-major. LOL. Especially on the DCA side, where it is supposed to be a lot about about fun for the fans. The best I've seen have a combination of that "extra juice" plus the ability to conduct the corps in a professional manner. Josh Decker is one who comes to mind.

:ninja:

I'll jump on this one Fran! The list of DM's in DCA over the years I've been going has had ALL the showmanship covered.. About the only one left that remotely covers that style is John Mayer from the Govenaires. I wish one or more of the DCI DM's would add something to make them less of an 'automaton' -

Joel Alleyne with Oakland Crusaders and its predecessors usually had the crowd cranked up back in the mid 70's, but there were not very many in the DCI and Pre-DCI era that had as much flair as he did.

My only gripe about the DCI and newer DCA DM's is when they "attempt" to turn around to salute at the beginning - most of them TURN TO THE LEFT!!!

OK - the paramilitary basis for "drum corps" is gone, but like Flag etiquette - there are some traditions that should be maintained - like doing an 'About Face' by turning to the right - as it should be done - all the extra 'ruffles & flourishes' each DM chooses to add or NOT add, that shouldn't be messed with. I just think it's as important as keeping some resemblance of 'military bearing' in the activity - more like a tribute than having total Broadway take over.. Some of the newer service veterans who have come into the activity or back to it - I'm sure they're a bit prouder when something that military in roots keeps some of that as the activity evolves.

Pat

• Like 1

Konga was a great entertainer.

edit: I'm not sure why the quote function isn't working for me on this computer, but this was in reply to Fran's post about great DCA DMs.

Edited by Legoman
  • Like 1

I agree.... there's a point where if the DM becomes the whole show... or tries to....LOL... that's not good at all, and I don't blame corps members for having problems with that. I would, too, if I were still marching. Job One on the podium remains keeping the corps in time, the whole show.

But I'd prefer to see at least a bit of personality, compared to a robo-major. LOL. Especially on the DCA side, where it is supposed to be a lot about about fun for the fans. The best I've seen have a combination of that "extra juice" plus the ability to conduct the corps in a professional manner. Josh Decker is one who comes to mind.

The revolt WAS on the DCA side. PM me if you want I can tell you who..lol

:ninja:

I'll jump on this one Fran! The list of DM's in DCA over the years I've been going has had ALL the showmanship covered.. About the only one left that remotely covers that style is John Mayer from the Govenaires. I wish one or more of the DCI DM's would add something to make them less of an 'automaton' -

Adam Burdett of the Skyliners also fits that mold. Continuing the grand tradition of personalities on the podium for that corps!!!

The revolt WAS on the DCA side. PM me if you want I can tell you who..lol

I will... but I think I have a guess. :tongue: