Clifton (mostly) review

Hi everyone, it's been while since I did one of these. I just got back from the now cancelled show. The lighting detector went off right either right before the last few notes of C2's show, or almost immediately after the end. Bucs were coming to the field and preparing to setup before it was officially postponed. 15-20 minutes, they announced the show was cancelled. First was the DCI show, now the DCA show.

Anyway, here is my own review of the show from the corps that I saw. I'm doing this now because I leave for Florida tomorrow morning, and I don't think people care to read a review one week late. For those of you who remember, my reviews tend to be in more towards stream of consciousness. I make both good and bad comments by what is striking me at that moment - if there is one to go off of. I do apologize to the Alumni corps who started the show off, I was off catching up with people until the competing corps started.

First up, Skyliners -

Has nothing to do with the Skyliners, but with their very soft opening, it was extremely distracting hearing a drumline warmup really not that far away from us - I could see them from the stands clearly.

Anyway - Brass enters and the upper brass have a tinny sound and forcing their attacks. Need to relax, the show is just starting. The feet technique, either really good or not so much, but a lot more of the really good, so that makes the inner visual judge inside me happy. During the Blue Skies moment - the horn visuals look wrong, not because it is but they are kind of just going through the motions rather than defined movement. IMO, I think the Brass book so far is disjointed, they never seem to connect anything together, just snippets here and there. But, what the brass does play, they do pretty decently overall.

Moving on to the slow backup - technique isn't really defined throughout the hornline. Some are exaggerating perfectly, but the few individuals catch your eye. This next part, maybe I'm just being super picky, but when they play the thunder sounds - they react to the thunder before the sound effect gets played. Afterwards they follow that up with a great LOUD moment - nice blending, followed buy a great pit and then sabre moment.

During the pit break, I don't get the correlation to the show, the music and the weird samples that they were playing - not sure of the language, sounded African? Moving to the end of the show, drill starts to come undone with spacing issues as well. Feet in the sound start rearing its ugly head and a couple of sickouts. When they start doing the high leg lifts, some move early - need to define at what precise moment does the leg pick up - though it fixed itself within 3 steps. During the fast drill at the end - the low brass is the only group you can hear playing - uppers kind of dropped out, however visually they did all look good together.

Overall, I like the show - and they do have room for improvement. Keep it up Sky!

Edited by Kyle B

Next up, the Bushwackers.

Very spread out for the opening lines of Piano man. Nice backfield moments with the corps building - some good feet. Then they turn out, and one thing that stuck out, they have this nice build, then they turn around, then silence for 4 counts, then drums, and then horns. Seems a little anticlimactic to me. Afterwards the blend of the hornline goes in and out periodically through the show. Some superheroes combined with members who may not be playing as much as it's called for.

Next song (I think Captain Jack - but I could definitely be wrong) there is a tear within the Baritones on Side 1 of the field. Up until now, I can not believe I didn't notice their guard. I LOVE THEM! Love the outfits, the flags and their work!

Something that seems to be the trend with corps is many licks for licks sake, and I think some of them need to be hosed down. I think the Brass book is a little much for them, then again, Bush always has a hard brass book. I think this will get in the way of their success. Mellos have a hard time with theirs in the middle of the show.

At Clair de lune, trumpets start to sound tinny but the mellophones have a great sound. At the chopsticks moments - need better body carriage, especially for those who have to jazz run when they aren't playing. Then we have a FANTASTIC drum feature - HOLY BASS DRUMS! Reminds me a little of the 93 part. Towards the end of the show, I think the Brass section needs to relax. Many of them are trying to hard and start to stick out more than they ever had and the drill starts to suffer.

I'm not sold on the show itself, I'm hoping I can see them again before the season is out, but I definitely think they can improve upon tonight and have a successful year.

Now on the field, the Sunrisers!

First thing you notice is their massive guard that encompasses the entire corps. Then the stereotypical build up to the loud brass moment and they don't disappoint! Afterwards, the flagline seemed to have an off night - couple stickouts or drops each ensemble moment. Some really nice foot technique from everyone!

Next up, Jar of Hearts. I knew the second I heard this on the radio back in 2011 that this would make an awesome song for a corps and Sun played it very well! Loved the arrangement in fact. I do think backfield we need more Tuba. Either play louder or move the Tuba angles inside some. I say this because the Tuba's had an absolutely great sound to support the corps. But, I can't leave out the Mellophones. HOLY ####! One of the best Mello licks of the entire night, and every time they had a moment, you were caught up in their glory!

In their Diamonds tune, again, we need more Tuba. Guys you are good, so play louder! I may not have caught any moments before, but now I notice the guard isn't done with their show. Coming up to the end of the show, some good feet at the fast moments, but the Low Brass start to gain fatigue at the end.

I hope I get to see them again. I enjoyed their show and Jar of Hearts is almost worth the admission!

• Like 2

The Hurricanes - woooooo! :tounge2:

Starting the show off, I see some feet and horn angles issues. This year, they have a smaller guard then I'm used to seeing from them, but man are they good!

In their 2nd tune, they need more balance in the hornline. Many people not playing up to the level of others and a few stickouts as well. When they get to the moment where the hornline is marching close to the sideline and marching facing the end zone - this is extremely difficult. Feet technique, or lack their off will be more noticeable then when facing forward. Need to clean up the feet - tempos and technique.

When the Brass goes from playing backfield to front, some intonation issues within the trumpets. I think their percussion is too loud during the ballad, drowns out the brass.

At the drum break, I think their needs to be more horn body movements. When you bring the horns down to your side, all the viewer is going to see is shoulders and heads going up and down if you aren't relaxed enough.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't get having a screamer trumpet in Amazing Grace. Doesn't really fit the style of the show nor the arrangement.

Fusion Core

One thing with their show tonight, is a tale of the good and then the not so good. Something that Fusion Core always has a lot of - sometimes good, sometimes bad - is brass licks. We will wait and see how they clean up through the season, but not together tonight. Also, notice a lot of variants in horn angles. However, when they want to play, they sound great! Unfortunately they then don't have great cover downs.

They have a small but great trumpet feature - but the pit is too loud. In fact, for most of the show the pit is too loud. They move pretty well when they have to book it, and the during the conveyer belt moment, the stabs aren't as together as they should be.

They have some pretty decent feet during the backfield ballad moments and some terrific horn solos as well to compliment the mood. However, during the quiet moments, the running around by the hornline who isn't playing is distracting. They follow that up with a fantastic hit from everyone and the hornline is really letting loose. After the Cavies 2002 drum break - the drums are now louder than the tubas, and in fact - during all of the horn licks the drums and the pit are TOO LOUD! You will never hear any clarity in a hornline or even a section lick if the drums are playing too loud.

Towards the end - we get some not so good cover downs again, and they follow that up with a guard moment that is impossible to not look at. 99% together except at the very end. At the end of the show, during the fast drill, you see a lot of clutter and spacing issues with the drill. Relax guys!

Anyway, I really like their show! It does seem like a new direction with them playing a darker show. If I could ask for one thing - please cut some licks out. We get it, you play them. A lot, but it's just too much, and at some point they will cause you more harm then good. That being said, since we had the rainout - Fusion was the best corps of the night. Lots of room for growth and I think they can pull a lot out of the show and reach its full potential.

C2.

Don't get the blue plumes and cummerbunds. I can't say that its for the show story, since C2 does what a lot of old school fans want - they just play a great drum corps show.

That being said - I marched Crossmen, I've listened to the 90's CD countless times, and played a Pat Metheny tune as well. It was mostly a rehash of Bones 91/98. Sometimes even felt as if it was note for note the same.

Guard uni's aren't in, and one of the quad's shell doesn't match the rest of the drumline. C2's hornline has 2 modes - they either play REALLY REALLY GOOD (and don't move much) or they book it and their sound suffers greatly. I marked down in my notes a few times "LOUD". Almost always it's a good loud as well.

First few selections - not a lot of visual demand. This makes their hornline seem like no one else can touch them. The green guard flags clash majorly with the blue sashes/plums and maroon jackets. Maybe their uniform will be able to blend it together.

At Heat of the Day - the feet start falling apart. More visual demand and too many to count feet out of step. Also, even when not having a lot of demand, the fast tempos expose their feet problem. It's typically been one of their biggest hurdles the last few years.

John Molloy as a trumpet soloist - YES PLEASE! He doesn't disappoint either! Though didn't they just announced that they cut the age limit to 23 - so much for sticking to that. Oh well - I don't care because it's John Herbert Molloy!

They have a great ensemble sound throughout their ballad. Guard is also not done with their show.

Towards the end of the show, they start losing their great sound - start to have a number of sickouts. And Coverdowns - yuck.

They end the show like their big brother ends their show - with very fast drill. I really did think someone was going to crash - I could see the panic in their eyes and their bodies.

It's a good show, but only the Crossmen should be licensed to do Metheny. And only in the style of those 90's and early 00's shows. That's just my opinion.

Now that the morning has come and I couldn't sleep much because of the vacation - here are my overall thoughts on the corps.

Skyliners - nice corps with a nice show. Middle section leaves me hanging. The hornline can play - just need to darken the upper brass sound.

Bushwackers - Still early season, can be developed into a good show. Best guard uniforms of the night (I'm also biased.)

Sunrisers - Loved the show. The guard uniforms at first glance makes you think they are going to be playing the Incredibles. Loved the brass arrangements and best Tuba moments of the night.

Hurricanes - Really nice guard in standard Hurcs fashion. Brass needs time to get the drill under their feet, then they will be able to get the most out of the show.

Fusion - Really loved the show - and I think that's the first time I have said that. After reading my post above, probably came off too critical, but I always remember getting yelled at for selling the easy stuff. Fusion was hands down the best corps of the night. Can't wait to see them again this year!

C2 - Again, I'm too critical - I'll admit. I did LOVE the brass arrangements, and their hornline can sound unstoppable. I do think that their drill needs more demand and they need to work on when the corps starts hauling it. Both musically and visually. Definitely the best brass line of the corps that performed.

Great REVIEW kYLE .THANK YOU