Rook-Out Drum Majors.

What are the chances of any corps selecting a rook-out drum major? I've been a Drum Major in DCI before and ended up taking a break for the 2016 season. I am wanting to try out for a couple of corps for the 2017 season(Crossmen/Crown/ Blue Knights) but not sure if it is normal for corps to select 1st year corps rook-outs.

Best thing to do is to contact the corps on your list and ask the question. I don't know of any rook-out DM's, but that doesn't mean there haven't been any.

I know the backfield DM for Phantom in 06 was a rook out. Granted, he had several years of experience marching with another corps, but still technically a rook out with Phantom.

If you are the best suited for that position through audition, any corps would consider you. Prepare a good video of yourself performing in the job..... they're not picking a rook-out, they're going with experience !

What are the chances of any corps selecting a rook-out drum major? I've been a Drum Major in DCI before and ended up taking a break for the 2016 season. I am wanting to try out for a couple of corps for the 2017 season(Crossmen/Crown/ Blue Knights) but not sure if it is normal for corps to select 1st year corps rook-outs.

Good Luck, JP ;)

Why have you decided for next season not to return as DM for the DCI Corps you were formerly the DM for ? I'm just curious, thats all. ( you don't have to reveal the name of that Corps to us, if you choose not to. )

Edited by BRASSO

If you are the best suited for that position through audition, any corps would consider you. Prepare a good video of yourself performing in the job..... they're not picking a rook-out, they're going with experience !

I disagree. There will be corps that promote from within and would not consider a new member for field commander. There are certainly different philosophies about the field commander. Sone corps believe it is primarily a conducting position and therefore would probably consider the best conductor even if they are from outside the organization. Some corps believe it is primarily a leadership position and therefore will only promote from within. One thing I would be prepared for is the reason why as a field commander you decided to take a year off marching. You may have a perfectly acceptable answer, but be prepared to be asked.

Edited by DAvery