Any junior corps that don't compete in DCI?

Given that DCI now allows any brass instrument, a number of high school and college marching bands that don't include woodwinds (e.g. Ohio State) are arguably now drum corps.

Wow. That is amazing. It's true that the most recent instrumentation rules change means that a drum corps is simply a marching band without woodwinds. (Is a color guard required in DCI? Obviously effectively it is, but do the rules actually mandate it?)

(Also, I think Ohio State - sorry ... The Ohio State - allows grads to bulk up the band to several hundred.)

For a director I would think It would be hard to come up with a reason for not allowing 22+ people to stay in your drum corps unless some rule prevents it, either a league rule (which has it's own reasons) or the practical effect of high school membership.

• Like 1

Wow. That is amazing. It's true that the most recent instrumentation rules change means that a drum corps is simply a marching band without woodwinds. (Is a color guard required in DCI? Obviously effectively it is, but do the rules actually mandate it?)

(Also, I think Ohio State - sorry ... The Ohio State - allows grads to bulk up the band to several hundred.)

For a director I would think It would be hard to come up with a reason for not allowing 22+ people to stay in your drum corps unless some rule prevents it, either a league rule (which has it's own reasons) or the practical effect of high school membership.

21 in DCI means that they have to turn 22 by a certain date during the summer season to be eligible. (i don't remember the date, i just know I didn't qualify for it) DCI's mission statement is geared towards education of young people. 22+ makes you no longer one of the young people. (at least physically)

However there's no age limit in DCA. Cadets 2 has a cap on their age limit, likely because accepting over 21 years olds would change the mission statement of Youth Education in the Arts, and possibly hurt funding opportunities for the Cadets (and C2). That's really just speculation since I don't work for YEA. But there's plenty of arguments for DCA corps to put an age limit. Physicality of the body breaks down after 26... and at 35... and 40... well you get the point. Each year older makes it tougher to tap dance on the balance beam while you play that 64th note run using only one hand.

Edited by C.Holland

21 in DCI means that they have to turn 22 by a certain date during the summer season to be eligible. (i don't remember the date, i just know I didn't qualify for it) DCI's mission statement is geared towards education of young people. 22+ makes you no longer one of the young people. (at least physically)

However there's no age limit in DCA. Cadets 2 has a cap on their age limit, likely because accepting over 21 years olds would change the mission statement of Youth Education in the Arts, and possibly hurt funding opportunities for the Cadets (and C2). That's really just speculation since I don't work for YEA. But there's plenty of arguments for DCA corps to put an age limit. Physicality of the body breaks down after 26... and at 35... and 40... well you get the point. Each year older makes it tougher to tap dance on the balance beam while you play that 64th note run using only one hand.

I had heard the age limit at C2 was 25. But either way they have to kick out a person after they turn 26, which begs the question: why? I get the body breaking down argument, but that's a matter for auditions, I would think. Certainly there are many 30-year olds who are very fit.

I think with DCI you can stay in if you turn 22 on or after June 1.

• Like 1

From the C2 "About" webpage:

This organization consists of approximately 128 young men and women ages 16 to 25 located in the Lehigh Valley and surrounding area.

Edited by Pete Freedman

I get the body breaking down argument, but that's a matter for auditions, I would think. Certainly there are many 30-year olds who are very fit

Looks like the adverage age of most Olympians is a bit over 21. If you are active, your body can operate at a high level for a loong time.

http://holykaw.alltop.com/age-range-of-us-olympic-athletes-by-sport

Edited by rancidrolla

Yes. Kamarag. I remember that. I was more being funny about the cadets violin that has all the dinosaurs in the Facebook drum corps groups angry. (Or the trooper unis, or bac synth player)

Pete I honestly thinks it's due to funding and the mission statement of YEA. 25 just doesn't line up with Youth Education in the Arts. So to allow older members might cause the organization to lose grants and aid only available to youth organizations.

Pete I honestly thinks it's due to funding and the mission statement of YEA. 25 just doesn't line up with Youth Education in the Arts. So to allow older members might cause the organization to lose grants and aid only available to youth organizations.

Unless. of course, you need some high notes :)

• Like 2