Minneapolis Musings

No tornadoes, thunder storms, MLB All-Star games, rock concerts, or other acts-of-God forecasted to disrupt tomorrow's regional once footballers depart stadium.

For great eats, try the Original Pancake House in Eden Prairie next to their great library, Birchwood Cafe, Wise Acre, Northbound Smokehouse and Brewery, Northwood Cookery, Haute Cuisine, and Lunds &Byerly's for fresh food done well in Minneapolis, home of DQ as in Dairy Queen which seem to appear every block.

If lot hopping and running to and fro housing sites inhaling bus fumes catching corps at practice sites has you tired, try the neary 81st Hopkins (no relations to Coats or Cadets) Festival, http://www.raspberrycapital.com/ and pack the snackpaks and coolers before heading south 365 miles to DeKalb.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 1

SO excited for this 'first of the biggies' show!

No tornadoes, thunder storms, MLB All-Star games, rock concerts, or other acts-of-God forecasted to disrupt tomorrow's regional once footballers depart stadium.

For great eats, try the Original Pancake House in Eden Prairie next to their great library, Birchwood Cafe, Wise Acre, Northbound Smokehouse and Brewery, Northwood Cookery, Haute Cuisine, and Lunds &Byerly's for fresh food done well in Minneapolis, home of DQ as in Dairy Queen which seem to appear every block.

If lot hopping and running to and fro housing sites inhaling bus fumes catching corps at practice sites has you tired, try the neary 81st Hopkins (no relations to Coats or Cadets) Festival, http://www.raspberrycapital.com/ and pack the snackpaks and coolers before heading south 365 miles to DeKalb.

:ninja:

To piggy-back some of the aforementioned facilities - just to add a couple - Original Pancake House also has a location in close proximity to TCF Bank Stadium- in Roseville just to the north of the Rosedale shopping center. Birchwood is a little tough to find but it is only a couple of miles from "The Bank". Bridge and road repair might make it tough to navigate, but the quality is worth the look. Northbound Smokehouse and Brewery is about 8 blocks from my humble adobe, just west of the 38th Street station on the Blue Line light rail. Excellent burgers and Cajun fries - and they sell "growlers" (1/2 gallon) of all of the on-site brews - some with HIGH % APV.. My son's favorite is about 8%..

In that same neighborhood - (basically across the street) is Ted Cook's 19th Hole BBQ - one of the long standing BBQ and Soul food purveyors in Mpls. I've been going there since the early 70's..Jojo potatoes are to die for - and 3 temps of HEAT in the sauce. Peach cobbler is really good, too!!

If you choose to go to Lund's and/or Byerly's - great food - but prepare to open your wallet! Personally - B-Dubs across from the stadium, Applebee's on Washington - about 3 blocks away. Can't forget Stub & Herb's - basically across the street from the stadium - on Washington and Oak - a campus legend for food AND beverage..

Hope y'all have a great time - just remember - Minnesota has 2 seasons...Winter and Road Construction...There will be LOTS of the latter around the Metro this weekend, along with the Twinkies, Saints and Lynx in town...Safe travels and enjoy your visit!!!

Pat :tounge2:

:ninja:

To piggy-back some of the aforementioned facilities - just to add a couple - Original Pancake House also has a location in close proximity to TCF Bank Stadium- in Roseville just to the north of the Rosedale shopping center. Birchwood is a little tough to find but it is only a couple of miles from "The Bank". Bridge and road repair might make it tough to navigate, but the quality is worth the look. Northbound Smokehouse and Brewery is about 8 blocks from my humble adobe, just west of the 38th Street station on the Blue Line light rail. Excellent burgers and Cajun fries - and they sell "growlers" (1/2 gallon) of all of the on-site brews - some with HIGH % APV.. My son's favorite is about 8%..

In that same neighborhood - (basically across the street) is Ted Cook's 19th Hole BBQ - one of the long standing BBQ and Soul food purveyors in Mpls. I've been going there since the early 70's..Jojo potatoes are to die for - and 3 temps of HEAT in the sauce. Peach cobbler is really good, too!!

If you choose to go to Lund's and/or Byerly's - great food - but prepare to open your wallet! Personally - B-Dubs across from the stadium, Applebee's on Washington - about 3 blocks away. Can't forget Stub & Herb's - basically across the street from the stadium - on Washington and Oak - a campus legend for food AND beverage..

Hope y'all have a great time - just remember - Minnesota has 2 seasons...Winter and Road Construction...There will be LOTS of the latter around the Metro this weekend, along with the Twinkies, Saints and Lynx in town...Safe travels and enjoy your visit!!!

Pat :tounge2:

other dining possibilities near the stadium:

Vecio's - casual Italian - in Dinkytown http://vescios.com/

Punch Pizza in Stadium Villiage -

Big Ten in Stadium Villiage

Green Spoon on University Ave.

5 Guys in Dinkytown -

Surly Brewing has a very nice taproom/brewpub a few blocks from the stadium - http://surlybrewing.com/destination-brewery/beer-hall-and-restaurant/

• Like 1

What's that little place in "Dinkytown" (area around the University with McDonald's and a slew of student gin mills) that only seats a dozen at a time for great pancakes?

also:

Meet Minneapolis info@minneapolis.org via informz.net

Eden Prairie OPH near library is way more than pancakes but Scandinavian and American fare and can seat almost a full corps. I love the platter size dish they do with pancakes, apples, etc.

What's that little place in "Dinkytown" (area around the University with McDonald's and a slew of student gin mills) that only seats a dozen at a time for great pancakes?

also:

Meet Minneapolis info@minneapolis.org via informz.net

Eden Prairie OPH near library is way more than pancakes but Scandinavian and American fare and can seat almost a full corps. I love the platter size dish they do with pancakes, apples, etc.

That is Al's Breakfast -

it's a lunch counter that is an institution -

essentially just an old school greasy spoon - breakfast food -

You wait behind the people at the counter until spots open up then you sit down and eat while people behind you wait and watch you eat....

Just to let everyone know, if you an on going anywhere near Rosedale Mall (such as the pancake house mentioned above, which is across the street), Black Lives Matter has stated that they are going to "try to shut Rosedale down" on Sunday. With some of the recent events that have been in the news, including the police shooting of Philando Castille just down the street in Falcon Heights, there are a lot of groups on edge.

Edited by ajlemm

By the way, tomorrow is my Birthday, and before the show my son and I are planning to eat at Buffalo Wild Wings across the street from The Bank before the show! I'll be wearing my Phantom Regiment 56 shirt if anyone wants to stop by and say hi!