Minneapolis Musings

Have to give a shoutout to Pioneer. They were awesome today.

They started off the season over 7 points behind Genesis, and were less than a point them behind tonight. I think that is due to an incredibly hard working Pioneer corps than any fault of Genesis who is AWESOME for Open!

I know a lot don't notice or care about this kind of stuff, but I am. They started something good last year and are keeping it going this year. They were night and day better than the last webcast I saw with them in it from Muncie.

Kudos to them. Looking forward to seeing the show next week!

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 3

Yes, some. Would you say there were more inconsistencies with Troop than with other corps around them? I mean, I saw BK brass out of step in one portion of their performance, too. With Troopers, I did see some forms that were not tidy, but I also saw improvement in the full arc in the closer.

for the record: I've always liked Academy, and I like this this year, though last year's show seemed to lift me up more. They are really good. But I also think they play it safe with the visual demand, lots of follow-me, whereas Troop is backing blind into forms and playing a lot on the move.

No doubt that Casper has work to do, in all phases. But then, so does every corps. I'm just mystified why, as all other corps improve, their scores rise apace. Except Troopers. Are they not improving? Are other corps improving faster?

Yes, of course every corps has issues and problems. The issue at least from a VP standpoint, is consistency of technique, and where the judge ends up being. Say you've got a set where the trumpets are running around doing whiplash drill, and they don't look great. But on the other side of the field, you've got the baritones going at a half-time 8 to 5, and they look fantastic. If the judge is in front of the trumpets, you'll get dinged, and it won't matter what the baritones are doing. And the VA judge is too far away to make the technique calls. So you miss out on that credit for that show. And I saw more technique breakdowns and inconstancies on their multi-cam than on Academy's. That could be the long coats for Academy, it might not be. But the judge won't give technique credit if 5 guys are matching if 10 aren't in their sample. Hopefully your staff can talk to the judging staff and point out areas where they're nailing the technique, to try and get that part sampled for credit

And Troop has a lot of demand for sure, so they should be doing well on that part of the sheet. But you can't just have demand for demand's sake, it has to be achieved. And the achievement will probably get the rep numbers up as well. But it's a two-part caption.

Other corps could be improving faster because of less demand, so they'll eventually top out unless they layer in more demand. A clean, sterile show will score well in the early season, but sputter out at the end, while a dirty, tough show has more potential to grow, but it's got to get clean to get the demand credit

Was that helpful?

Edited by fsubone
  • Like 1

First world problems.

The scores will be available shortly. :hehe:

+++

Aren't you old enough to remember when we used to get our scores 2 weeks after the event when Drum Corps World newspaper was mailed to us? :poke:

Then DCI went hi-tech with 1(900)CAN-DRUM, or I could call the Phantom Regiment Scoreline (aka some volunteer's home answering machine. They would get a call by payphone from someone on staff after the show, and they would record a message on their outgoing tape with that night's scores.) I remember calling over and over until I no longer got a busy signal, and writing the scores down on un-punched IBM punchcards (my dad worked for IBM, so we used punchcards the way people use post-it notes now) so my parents could see the scores when they got up in the morning. Now we frequently get the scores before they are announced in the stadium! Now that's progress!

• Like 1

Academy is soooooo lit this year. But let's be honest they're gonna have to take out BAC

Yes, of course every corps has issues and problems. The issue at least from a VP standpoint, is consistency of technique, and where the judge ends up being. Say you've got a set where the trumpets are running around doing whiplash drill, and they don't look great. But on the other side of the field, you've got the baritones going at a half-time 8 to 5, and they look fantastic. If the judge is in front of the trumpets, you'll get dinged, and it won't matter what the baritones are doing. And the VA judge is too far away to make the technique calls. So you miss out on that credit for that show. And I saw more technique breakdowns and inconstancies on their multi-cam than on Academy's. That could be the long coats for Academy, it might not be. But the judge won't give technique credit if 5 guys are matching if 10 aren't in their sample. Hopefully your staff can talk to the judging staff and point out areas where they're nailing the technique, to try and get that part sampled for credit

And Troop has a lot of demand for sure, so they should be doing well on that part of the sheet. But you can't just have demand for demand's sake, it has to be achieved. And the achievement will probably get the rep numbers up as well. But it's a two-part caption.

Other corps could be improving faster because of less demand, so they'll eventually top out unless they layer in more demand. A clean, sterile show will score well in the early season, but sputter out at the end, while a dirty, tough show has more potential to grow, but it's got to get clean to get the demand credit

Was that helpful?

Wow this is loaded with info. Really appreciate it!

Academy is soooooo lit this year. But let's be honest they're gonna have to take out BAC

Exactly. As good as Academy is this year, can they really pull off this upset? Will be a dog fight. Personally, I like Boston's show - a lot. The Impossible Dream transports me to some magical place in my childhood. I'm kinda rooting for that show even though I'm always for the new kids on the block. Mixed feelings on this one!

Exactly. As good as Academy is this year, can they really pull off this upset? Will be a dog fight. Personally, I like Boston's show - a lot. The Impossible Dream transports me to some magical place in my childhood. I'm kinda rooting for that show even though I'm always for the new kids on the block. Mixed feelings on this one!

I hope Academy can pull a Crossmen 2012 and knock BAC out at the last minute!