I said at Lehman the Core could be dangerous. Let's see. Two second places at Ijamsville and Nazareth beating a very, very hot CV, A very good Cabs performance, and stiff-arming what looks to be the best show and corps C2 has put out. Dangerous enough for everyone? The only corps they haven't beaten are the Bucs, but they have taken the Color Guard caption from them.

They also went on in what would be considered bad show slots that put them at a disadvantage at both contests and achieved this. Yeah..... that's dangerous.

Some readers wonder, "How!?!?!?"

Part of it's strong visual design. I alluded to this in the Lehman review in how they've really thought this out this season.

The thing is, you can have a great design and if you don't have the performers to perform the package, it gets nowhere.

I watch this corps, and I get this feeling from the corps, particularly from the battery- they love to compete. The Bass Drums had a really strong run on Saturday. The battery gives their best effort at every contest, take pride in that, and just let the chips fall where they fall.

What more can the staff want from the members? When the Fusion members work like they work, and put out the sincere best effort every time, as a staff member, you feel driven to try to give every bit of your knowledge and abilities to help the team elevate themselves- each feed off the other.

Another secret to Fusion's success appears to be something known as "B.F.O." :satisfied:

I know what I think it is... but some of the ladies in the stands said it was some kind of healthy food additive the baritones mix in with their pre-show Rigatoni dinner. Who knows?

One thing that came to mind at Nazareth was that the brass ensemble's sound seems to be coalescing around a dark, bottom-heavy timbre with a pretty veneer of Trumpet and the always rock-hard mid-voices. They're finding their ensemble's specific and unique voice and really embracing it. It gives them an individual character and sounds great!

The show also has a lot of layers and facets that I'm discovering with every performance, another mark of a really good corps and program.

They're doing what they need to do, and I don't see them deciding to stop. You'll see some great performances with Fusion and those chasing them this season. Get to a show, watch 'em, and enjoy.

It isn't BFO, it's BMO. I can't give away any of the other secrets behind it, but I just wanted to clarify. Edited by mongo
  • Like 1

It's okay, Mongo. I swear the one staff member said "F" instead of "M" before the show started and during the last 90 seconds. :satisfied: Trade secrets are important, especially with health food additives. :laugh:

Edited by BigW