Where is DCI?

Most people want drum corps to be like they were at the time of their introduction to the activity. I still prefer the 80s-90s by a mile to what is going on now, but there's plenty to watch today. The corps haven't morphed completely from what I enjoy, so I find what to like rather than what to hate.

I can still hear great brass, even though it is slightly different. I can see some awesome drill, though not the same as yesteryear. I still hear great percussion precision.

(note: I can hear some of those things if the speakers don't interfere, of course)

Amplification and electronics are far overdone for my tastes, but as long as they aren't too loud I can ignore them. Narration is an aural festering sore (imo), so I avoid those shows.

As long as there are no woodwinds on the field yet, play ball. I can deal with the rest for the most part, and usually modern drum corps is far more good than bad. That's why I'm still a paying customer.

• Like 2

You really have a way with people.

I went to Brasso U, but I won't sue

You really have a way with Corps.

See above

Yes, I agree with you, as do many older real Drum and Bugle fans.

Nothing at all is going to be done to bring back any of the things that we enjoyed, so you might as well get used to all the Artsy Fartsy stuff, because it's here to stay.

And, none of the current "Marching Bands on Steroids" seem willing to integrate some of the old school stuff into their shows.

This is the first time in many many years that I will not attend a single show. I always go to either San Antonio, Atlanta or one of the smaller local shows, but not any longer. I'm no longer a paying DCI customer because I'm not entertained by what I see on the field.

The Lafayette Louisiana Show is going on as we speak and I'm sitting here right next door in Baton Rouge, but have no interest in driving the 50 miles west. (Not even to get one of my Deano's Hamburger Po-Boy's) Not interested in "Marching Broadway Theater and Ballet on a football......................

#### those 1976 Madison Scouts for not having cadences between songs and inspection.

When has drum corps ever stayed static?

DCI's attendance numbers would like to speak with those of you who think drum corps is dead.

As a music educator who works with high school band kids, let me say this: the kids love drum corps. I love drum corps. Its still drum corps. Old fogies can either get with the program or stay at home and listen to their 1960's VFW championship records.

Sorry to be so harsh, but I am so sick of posts from people who show up here or on facebook just to bemoan the loss of symmetrical drill and piston-rotar bugles. If you don't like going to shows anymore, I'm sorry that you aren't open to being amazed by what those kids are doing on the field. As for DCI and the corps, believe me, they won't miss your money. For every dinosaur that decides to drop out, twelve high school kids and/or more recent alumni will take your place.

I heart you

• Like 3

I have paid for the video on demand. I will be tuning in for most of the shows for the rest of the season, but only watching 1 corps - SCV. Honestly, I don't feel like I need to see anyone else again this year. I may watch all of finals, but I'm definitely not watching anyone else before then.

Edited by henry7184

I have paid for the video on demand. I will be tuning in for most of the shows for the rest of the season, but only watching 1 corps - SCV. Honestly, I don't feel like I need to see anyone else again this year. I may watch all of finals, but I'm definitely not watching anyone else before then.

Cool.

• Like 1

As a music educator who works with high school band kids, let me say this: . Old fogies can either get with the program or stay at home and listen to their 1960's VFW championship records.

As a current music educator, do you give your students 2 options in your directives ? One good, the other so very subpar that you selected as the 2nd choice, that they'll be forced to choose your desired one ? Personally, I prefer to have multiple choices presented to me of equal worth when an educator presents me with options to choose from. For one option you might have, why not ask your old fogies adult students to write you an essay on what they might do differently if they were in charge. Then you could grade that old fogie student on their originality, creativity, insights, practicality ( or impracticality if you detect such in your opinion ). Who knows, such a " teachable moment " exercise might even have a young educator like yourself learn something new. Then again, I suppose you COULD send that old fogie adult student off with your advice to just go play some old 1960 VFW Drum Corps records somewhere,... and simply leave you as the educator alone, and not to bother you with any contrarian thoughts. From simply a control endeavor, this could work for you rather well, imo.

Edited by BRASSO

As a music educator, do you give your students 2 options in your directives ? One good, the other very subpar that you selected as the subpar one, so they'll be forced to choose your desired one ? Personally, I prefer to have multiple choices presented to me of equal worth when an educator presents me with options to choose from.

Admittedly, it was a statement of exasperated frustration. But I think you can get the gist of what I was trying to say.