Warrensburg Wateringhole

Yeah, that's one of those "weird" scoring anomalies, but well deserved from what I heard. I actually saw them live in Canton, OH in 1979. Bluecoats in those days were competing in the Div II/III format. Not sure if I have this straight, but was that Oakland Crusaders line and early Tom Float line before he went to Blue Devils?

I remember talk in 1977 about how great it would be to put Oakland Crusaders' drumline with Garfield Cadets brass. That could have produced a top five corps.

• Like 1

That's your interpretation. You are whining. That's my view.

And you're just looking for someone to ##### at, but that's just my view as well.

I really can't stand this. GE should probably be around 20% of the score.

You would have LOVED the VFW days when GE was a single 10-point caption. :tounge2:

We also had a 10-point caption for inspection and another one for Cadence (could only march between an rather narrow range of tempos). :tounge2:

Percussion score, I'm sure.

Am I the only one a little surprised that BD is finishing ahead of Crown in visual? I'd say Crown is significantly farther ahead in terms of honing their visual, and I'd suggest that BD has significantly more head room to score higher than Crown. If I'm Crown, I'm a little worried about not being significantly ahead right now in visual.

Coats, to me, is a visual wild card because of the style of their show. The more I see Down Side Up, the more convinced I am that it's going to be significantly harder to really perfect visual for them because everyone is so spread out and there are so many fluid dance movements happening all over the field. BD always has a very challenging show that can be polished to perfection because of the style they design to/with. Sort of the same with Crown.

Remember when corps used to march onto the field in step?

Not a fan of what I'm seeing. Going to bite my tongue and leave it at that.

Am I the only one a little surprised that BD is finishing ahead of Crown in visual? I'd say Crown is significantly farther ahead in terms of honing their visual, and I'd suggest that BD has significantly more head room to score higher than Crown. If I'm Crown, I'm a little worried about not being significantly ahead right now in visual.

Coats, to me, is a visual wild card because of the style of their show. The more I see Down Side Up, the more convinced I am that it's going to be significantly harder to really perfect visual for them because everyone is so spread out and there are so many fluid dance movements happening all over the field. BD always has a very challenging show that can be polished to perfection because of the style they design to/with. Sort of the same with Crown.

Well, keep in mind visual is made of 3 areas (visual proficiency, visual guard, and visual analysis). Each of those 3 areas break down into 6 sub-captions. In regard to proficiency I think BD is the strongest -- meaning that even if their forms are not tight yet they have really good technique. The proficiency (marching ex if you will) has less to do with overall form and more to do with feet, legs, technique, interval, body carriage. In those areas very few can tangle with BD. And we know how stellar they are at guard. I think people looking at Crown's show, especially from up high, are seeing nice clean forms and a corps that certainly marches well. So perhaps they are better at the overall analysis...maybe. BD's forms from a higher perspective are not perfect just yet, but from a proficiency and guard perspective I'd say they are no. 1 as of now.

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 3

Well, keep in mind visual is made of 3 areas (visual proficiency, visual guard, and visual analysis). Each of those 3 areas break down into 6 sub-captions. In regard to proficiency I think BD is the strongest -- meaning that even if their forms are not tight yet they have really good technique. The proficiency (marching ex if you will) has less to do with overall form and more to do with feet, legs, technique, interval, body carriage. In those areas very few can tangle with BD. And we know how stellar they are at guard. I think people looking at Crown's show, especially from up high, are seeing nice clean forms and a corps that certainly marches well. So perhaps they are better at the overall analysis...maybe. BD's forms from a higher perspective are not perfect just yet, but from a proficiency and guard perspective I'd say they are no. 1 as of now.

Nice write up.

It's one of the reasons the GE caption will be so important, because BD is strong in visual. Odds are better than average BD wins that caption. BD wins visual and GE and you're looking at a 3 peat, most likely.

There are years people say Crown are amazing visually and all I see are mostly clean forms with terrible space between sets. And by terrible I mean like 8th place type of movement between sets, so not like really that bad. And when I see BD it feels as if every step is intentional whether it's count 3 or 8 of an 8 count move.

Edited by littlejaw
  • Like 1