"Oh yeah, I forgot about that show..."

2002 Bluecoats

The first use of Dancer in the Dark, and the arrangements of the opener and closer were incredible (Doug Thrower got THAT out of Pedal to the Metal??). Really fun show, and perhaps my second favorite show of theirs behind Tilt.

2000 Phantom Regiment

I brought this up in another thread recently after listening to it for the first time in a long while. Visually nothing to write home about, but modern music arranged wonderfully. The only corps to play Schoenberg (though it was the most hummable Schoenberg).

2002 Santa Clara Vanguard

Two years are standout years for me, which may bias my memory: I first saw the PBS broadcast in 93, and I first went to finals in 02. So I remember those shows a little more fondly, perhaps. SCV had another of their abstract theme shows that was full of great music that was new to the field. Copland's organ symphony hadn't been done, and Hanson's symphonies hadn't been done in a substantial way. And great drill, obviously.

2002 Bluecoats

The first use of Dancer in the Dark, and the arrangements of the opener and closer were incredible (Doug Thrower got THAT out of Pedal to the Metal??). Really fun show, and perhaps my second favorite show of theirs behind Tilt.

2000 Phantom Regiment

I brought this up in another thread recently after listening to it for the first time in a long while. Visually nothing to write home about, but modern music arranged wonderfully. The only corps to play Schoenberg (though it was the most hummable Schoenberg).

2002 Santa Clara Vanguard

Two years are standout years for me, which may bias my memory: I first saw the PBS broadcast in 93, and I first went to finals in 02. So I remember those shows a little more fondly, perhaps. SCV had another of their abstract theme shows that was full of great music that was new to the field. Copland's organ symphony hadn't been done, and Hanson's symphonies hadn't been done in a substantial way. And great drill, obviously.

You picked two on the list I was making, and I'd definitely suggest Phantom 2000 on a helluva show to listen too. That ballad.

• Like 1

2000 SCV--I love that they used all music not written primarily for brass, and it was a beautiful show. Love listening to it on the State of the Art CD, especially the rhythmically funky Bartok concerto. Understandably overshadowed by 1999.

2003 Cadets--Not a very good show design but they performed the crap out of it.

2013 Cadets--Lovely music but they didn't quite max it out

2011 Crown--A cheesy show for sure, and understandably overshadowed by 2009, 2010, 2013, 2015, etc (man they have had some really solid shows in the last decade) but it was super fun

2013 Blue Devils--everyone wanted Crown to win but this show deserved it and is amazing

Crossmen 1993. Perfectly designed drum corps show. Never, ever hear it talked about.

Edited by Hrothgar15
  • Like 1

Madison 1992 - City of Angels (2nd time around) - I didn't get to see this show live, but man I absolutely love it. The closer, "Funny" is so powerful - especially the introduction to the piece - wonderful change of mood and very powerful.

I go back and forth with whether 1991 or 1992 is better here. 1991 is a more well-rounded design, but 1992 is a more no-holds-barred approach. You Gotta Look Out for Yourself is one of my favorite drum corps charts.

BD 2000

Phantom 07

Cadets 1999

Yes BD 2000 Bernard Herrmann show...

One of my all time favorites that nobody ever talks about.

• Like 1

Feel like Phantom 05 gets really overshadowed by 2006 - 2008. It's by FAR my favorite Phantom show of the 2000s. Amazing drill, stunning costuming and silks from the guard, another fantastc Rennicks percussion section, and what they did with Gershwin is sublime. It had slipped my mind before this topic.

And for that matter, Cavaliers Chicago show from the same year. I love love love what Saucedo did in the fire section and how he built in Amazing Grace, and the show all around is just really fun.

• Like 1

BD 1991 - even though they came in 5th with percussion problems, this is one of my favorite shows ever. The "loudest note in the world" towards the end of the show is a fantastic moment. They have used parts of Bird and Bela in Bb several times since.

Bluecoats 1990 - one of my favorite hornlines of all time.

Crown 1995 - I still want them to dig out Stormworks again, what a show.

VK 1988 - everyone talks about 1992, but this is probably the best corps they ever had (imo). Horns and drums were crazy.

Star 1988 - one of my favorite arrangements of Porgy and Bess, and a few moments of incredibly loud held notes.

Cavaliers 1994 - Such an awesome, aggressive show with great source material

Crossmen 1990 - the NY voices material was awesome, and their brass and drums were both smoking

There are many others, but these are a few I listen to often.

Edited by cajal
  • Like 2

I go back and forth with whether 1991 or 1992 is better here. 1991 is a more well-rounded design, but 1992 is a more no-holds-barred approach. You Gotta Look Out for Yourself is one of my favorite drum corps charts.

Funny in 92 is done in the style of Malagueña, right down to the mello licks and drum arrangements. Very clever and very awesome.

Mike