CONSISTENCY IN PLACEMENTS

I'm pretty sure her SISTER was in another corps. Not her.

If so.. BOTH the sisters could have marched just for Championships too, if BD wanted. Those are " the facts " ( haha!)

Edited by BRASSO

I have asked this many times previously and never got an answer: what is the average age of each DC I corps? Surely someone at DCI has this data.

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that the average age of every corps is in direct correlation to their average finish.

The physical difference between a teenager and a 20 something is extremely dramatic. There isn't a high school band in America that can compete with the college band.

When you have five heavyweight corps that can recruit college kids away from the high school corps, you're going to get the finish order you have now. And the only practical way to correct this is to dramatically increase the number of talented kids who want to march in DCI.

• Like 1

member corps create the rubric sheets to rate themselves, and choose the rules as to who can march.

they also choose exactly who to hire as judges

it's not some outside entity imposing scores on corps

how does this always turn into 1000 pages split up among 10 topics every year? :lol:

Edited by Lance
  • Like 1

Don't let facts stand in the way of TRANSFER POLICIES!

mandatory transfers for marching band competitions....that kids pay to be in.

it's in the top 5 for stupidest things talked about on here.

make it stop.

• Like 4

Pop Warner, and Youth Soccer for 2. I don't know what your experience is however. Mine is such that parents pay the money, coaches then pick the players in a pool, ie one coach selects the player he or she is watching in a tryout camp... then the next coach selects the next player from the tryout pool he or she is watching, and so on and so forth, until all the players the coaches want for their teams are selected. This was the way we did it, when I coached LL baseball for a few years too.

This is pretty much only true for your local town "anyone can play" league anymore. Local rec, Little League, Babe Ruth, etc, and that doesn't fit with an analogy to DCI. Club teams fit better, and those work like every one else is saying.. you pick a team to try out for, if you make it you pay and play. You can try out for whoever you want, and as expected there are clubs which are much more selective, and they tend to typically win or place high in most of their leagues and tournaments. They don't have any type of transfer policies in place.

Brasso - drum corps are more like club sports, than little leagues. Players can play on any team on which they can earn a spot, and switch one year to the next.

I have asked this many times previously and never got an answer: what is the average age of each DC I corps? Surely someone at DCI has this data.

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that the average age of every corps is in direct correlation to their average finish.

The physical difference between a teenager and a 20 something is extremely dramatic. There isn't a high school band in America that can compete with the college band.

When you have five heavyweight corps that can recruit college kids away from the high school corps, you're going to get the finish order you have now. And the only practical way to correct this is to dramatically increase the number of talented kids who want to march in DCI.

Thats kind of a broad brush you are painting this with. I have taught kids ( young teenagers ) as well as 20 somethings as well as Adults ( DCA) one would assume the older you get the better. Not true. Just look at the age restrictions Cadets 2 put on their corps and the success they are having in DCA. I get ya when you say those top corps can go after the college age kids and in the top corps there are more of that age there than younger ( exceptions of course ) but the same could be said of lower corps with older members.

AS far as HS bands and college bands. I would put a few HS bands up against some DCI corps let alone some college bands. A broad brush can't be used in this activity as we all can probably site opposing views form all sides.

With all that said even teaching adults doesn't mean there's an adult experience there either. I have seen adults in the activity that could learn a thing or 2 from some kids , and I don't mean marching or playing or spinning..lol

While the perennial Corps in the upper echelon of DCI in May are out on the practice fields, most of the lower placing corps have most of their marchers back at school dissecting frogs in biology class or some such.

Edited by BRASSO