2016 DCPI Rules Congress

I will be opening up the Rules Congress in a week or so, so think about any rule changes you'd like to see implemented.

I'll be frank: I need your help in recruiting new players for future seasons. The amount of work I have to put in to set up and run a DCPI season is the same regardless of enrollment. Setting up the game for 10 corps isn't any less work than running the game for 200. I am working on creating levels of "effort" for DCPI Seasons. We may be looking at abbreviated seasons, fewer regional tours, only shows on certain days of the week, etc.

My goal is to also take proposals for and finalize Championship locations for Seasons 27 (Winter 2017) and 28 (Summer 2017).

Agreed. Checking back in summer season 12 we had 71 World Class corps at prelims. Now that was a high but the avg was probably in the 40-50 range. This season 22 corps. Back in the day we designed shows, show posters, corps logos, corps banners. I know I did a lot of those for directors. Also a lot more banter on the board especially during live seasons. Now It's understood DCI decision to hide caption scoring has impacted this season, hopefully that gets reversed. Invite friends. I am sure there are plenty of dc fans that would enjoy this game.

To Kevin, Matt (prior director), JohnD (site builder) I really appreciate the time they have devoted to making this run.

Hmm...

I don't know how easy it would be to do this, but do we have a good sense of why the people who were involved who aren't anymore left? I personally haven't been as active on the forum as I used to be because I'm now in grad school, and thus have actual work responsibilities during the summer (as opposed to undergrad, where I basically had summers off). The caption thing hasn't really helped matters, either... But do we have a sense of why other people have fallen off?

A better question, I suppose, would be how we got people involved in the first place, way back when...and what changed in our recruiting/PR/outreach between then and now. Like, do we actually try to actively recruit new players? (Note: "we" referring to the membership as a whole--not trying to accuse/blame you for anything, hostrauer!) And if not, where/how should we be trying to do so?

• 2 weeks later...

Are the captions going to change since there are no recaps to base your scores off? How will this change for next season? It's hard to pick a 3 visual scores when you have no clue what those actual scores are. Idk, maybe it's just me.

As for the other thing, I know I took a few years off from fantasy drum corps as life got busy but I am glad I am back. It's been fun and it's nice to be in the mix for a finals placement.

Thank you to those who put this on!!

What happened to the "DCA Fantasy Drum Corps" thing. Will that ever come back?

• Like 1

Are the captions going to change since there are no recaps to base your scores off? How will this change for next season? It's hard to pick a 3 visual scores when you have no clue what those actual scores are. Idk, maybe it's just me.

As for the other thing, I know I took a few years off from fantasy drum corps as life got busy but I am glad I am back. It's been fun and it's nice to be in the mix for a finals placement.

Thank you to those who put this on!!

What happened to the "DCA Fantasy Drum Corps" thing. Will that ever come back?

We do have recaps, just subtotaled and not broken down. Captions are being applied in straight proportion. Thus, if a corps gets a 25.50 in Visual, all three of their visual subcaptions will be 17.00 (17.0 + 17.0 + 17.0 = 51 / 2 = 25.50 to match the DCI formula).

Off-seasons (winter/DCPI 27) will use caption sets from multiple prior seasons. Right now, I'm leaning towards using 2014-2016.

The DCA Fantasy Drum Corps was run by Gary Currier, but died off several years ago due to lack of participation.

Hmm...

I don't know how easy it would be to do this, but do we have a good sense of why the people who were involved who aren't anymore left? I personally haven't been as active on the forum as I used to be because I'm now in grad school, and thus have actual work responsibilities during the summer (as opposed to undergrad, where I basically had summers off). The caption thing hasn't really helped matters, either... But do we have a sense of why other people have fallen off?

A better question, I suppose, would be how we got people involved in the first place, way back when...and what changed in our recruiting/PR/outreach between then and now. Like, do we actually try to actively recruit new players? (Note: "we" referring to the membership as a whole--not trying to accuse/blame you for anything, hostrauer!) And if not, where/how should we be trying to do so?

I'm not active anymore because I got way too obsessed with it. But that's me.

I think you would see much more participation if DCPI was presented as a standalone game much in the way Fantasy Football sites are. Right now the only indication for joining the game is a small "click here" link buried in a paragraph, then when you click on it it brings up a narrow sign up panel that sits in the middle of the page.

It's just not very pro looking. You need a web page that also works on mobile that draws people in, much like FMA presents itself and you need to be able to pick corps and captions the same way you would pick teams and players. Granted, I haven't signed in in a long time, and there might be something great behind the splash page, but I have a feeling not much has changed.

I have no web building expertise but if you put a call to arms in the main forum about how you want to rebuild and grow DCPI into a pro fantasy style system, you might get some volunteers and this thing can get some activity.

-C

Edited by Chris Rohn

I certainly don't mind pulling the CLASS ACT which was the all age competition which used DCA back together. I do very limited shows as its all manual but yes it suffered small participation first. Heck we can even pull something off this season for some fun in the last few weeks if we want, I don't think DCA is hiding recaps lol

haha DCA is not hiding recaps. They make them available right after the shows and post them on their website. I'd be game for a DCA fantasy thing! That'd be wicked awesome

As a member of both DCPI and FMA I can say we both have serious issues. Membership here and the fact that FMA no longer has an true support technically. We have several glitches not being fixed that are threatening to ruin it all together, that is one thing in our favor here. Perhaps we can draw more players out. My concern is people seem to find that version much easier, which is ironic since this version doesn't require you being active every 6 hours to be successful. Maybe that lack of needed engagement is actually part of the problem?