Champions in Chester, August 4 2016

The acoustic qualities are great between the 45s. But whew. Once you cross the 40 it's really weird. I'm not sure I want to watch another show in there. Lots of ring that killed releases.

I would agree based on who preformed last night. I sat in row K around the 30 yard line. Crown sounded clean and crisp. The acoustics worked really well for them. However, by contrast, SCV's sound was dominated by speakers, amps, and woofers. I've heard Vanguard sound better - last Sunday in Winston-Salem they were terrific. As for Bluecoats, holy heck, the speakers were overwhelming. But most folks didn't seem to care.

I hate all of you. I sat 5 yards deep in the endzone on Side 1, and it was very frustrating.

Next year, I'll let the bandkids go un-chaperoned and spring for my own ticket in the middle.

I would agree based on who preformed last night. I sat in row K around the 30 yard line. Crown sounded clean and crisp. The acoustics worked really well for them. However, by contrast, SCV's sound was dominated by speakers, amps, and woofers. I've heard Vanguard sound better - last Sunday in Winston-Salem they were terrific. As for Bluecoats, holy heck, the speakers were overwhelming. But most folks didn't seem to care.

HA!!!! I sat dead-center. The sound was absolutely spectacular.

• Like 2

I'm not an expert on SCV traditions although I did know Gayle Royer personally and have done some work for the corps when they have come East some seasons.

I would think if you knew him personally you would have taken the time to know how to spell his name.

• Like 1

Late but I've always enjoyed when others write show reviews so here is my turn:

CROSSMEN: Got to the show late because of unexpected volume of traffic between DC and Chester. Still went to the Cadets reception and since we were late, watched this show from the end zone club level while finishing our beer. Interesting vantage point viewing a show from the side. See a lot more of the drill issues when looking at it from this angle. Thought they were very dirty with their marching, but enjoyed the musical program. Didn't get bored at all. But was hearing a lot of echo so hard to really judge.

BLUE KNIGHTS: Finally moved to my seats (like others in DCP, I was exactly on the 50 yard line about 4 rows from the top). Second time I saw them this week, and enjoyed the show MUCH more than on Tuesday. Biggest difference? The tarp was not on the field. Guy I was with had the same thought. The need to lose it (perhaps someone could steal it) as is detracts from the show. Really did not like them on Tuesday, Show made more sense to me the second time around. Impressed with the battery but at times could tell they were not clean. Loud brass.

CAROLINA CROWN: Wow. Just wow. Saw them in the theater during the season kickoff things and was 'meh'. Always knew they could play, but I have never really liked 'western' themes in drum corps (not idea why). But this is a show you need to see in person. Soooo much better than on a screen. Was easy for an idiot like me to follow the theme. Their book is just so impressive and well put together. As we come to expect from Crown, great range and I was impressed at some of difficult playing that occurred during fast marching (ahem you park and bark corps). Drum line was great and never really noticed any dirt. This is now my third favorite show for 2016. Very well could win it all.

MADISON SCOUTS: Perhaps a bad drawing coming on after Carolina who has the whole package and BK who blew the doors off the place. I wanted to like the show and there were a lot of people wearing Madison gear sitting around me. But I was bored. Actually felt like pulling my phone out a couple of times. I didn't think the rolling props added anything to the show. Saw dirt in the drill, heard dirt from the brass (and I'm not a brass guy), and heard it from the battery. One thing that struck me is how young they seemed. Like they were matching a group of high school student against 21 year olds in the other crops. I don't blame the kids for me being bored, as they did the best they could (the effort is there). Just not the total program. I miss the Madison of my youth. I fear now they are just a stepping stone corps.

INTERMISSION: As usual intermission was lacking in GE but they would have done well in the old tick system. But only noticeable movement on the field was the guard in costumes pretending to re-line the field.

PHANTOM REGIMENT: I didn't have high hopes for this show after seeing it in the movie theater, but I was impressed (except for one thing). Some dirt here and there as to be expected from a mid-level corps, but I thought they did well. What sticks in my mind, though, was Young Person's. When I hear that music I think of 1981 Vanguard. I hate it arranged any other way, and I don't think it is a closer. I also don't think it fits well with the rest of the show. Anyway, I thought there were some phasing issues with their performance of it, and felt the soloist had an off night. But overall I thought they were solid. Both guard and battery did nothing to offend. Not a show you remember in 5 years, but entertaining and enjoyable.

BLUECOATS: Disappointing, at least to me. My jaw dropped when I saw them in the theater, but Thursday night the show seemed 'tired' to me. Like it peaked a bit ago. Maybe this has something to do with the white uniforms looking dirty and used, and the paint on the ramps being all scuffed, but it just felt old to me. Battery playing was incredible, but I felt the horn line lacked energy in their playing. And Great Gig - which has been my favorite song of any corp all summer - was an emotional letdown for me. Had nowhere the impact I expected it to have. I thought the corp seemed tired with all their body movement without instruments. Don't get me wrong - they were still great. But I was disappointed.

SANTA CLARA VANGUARD: A bit of disclaimer in that I'm a SCV homer. Not much I can say that others have not been saying all summer but the show is just so beautiful and works so well. My favorite show of 2016. Based on pure enjoyment, I would put them #1 (just as I would have with the Les Mis show a few years ago). Second time I saw them this week. I thought they marched much cleaner in Chester. Brass was about the same. Heard some dirt in the snare line a couple of times (but was probably because I was really listening for it). Something seemed off during the last bits of the show that I can't put my finger on, but it didn't close with the same impact as Tuesday night. Sitting higher than on Tuesday I appreciated the drill much more. Guard costume changes really help with the story yet I suspect they still have something more to add. In my heart I know the show design isn't good enough to make top three, but as a SCV fan, happy that they should be able to make 4th. I think I was the only person around me that did the Vanguard yell.

GARFIELD CADETS: Sorry, old timer here, they will always be Garfield for me. What to say, what to say. Saw them twice this week. Tuesday the statues in the endzone and in front of the pit didn't bother me. Thursday they annoyed the heck of out me. I was impressed with the guard performance. I'm not a guard person, but they did better then I expected. I think the overall issue is that, as many have said, they show just doesn't work well. I do appreciate the effort and it is getting better and the use of the trombone and french horns is done well. Battery is awesome (although I think they play a little TOO hard - meaning too much energy and emotion). I just think the show has trouble working as a whole. I think playing Pines again at the end is just desperate. I really want to like this show, I really do. But as been the case the last couple of years with the Cadets and wanting to love the show, I feel empty with it. That said, you can tell tell the technical playing abilities of the members is top notch. Talent is really there. Live and die with electronics as it cut out on the violin.

As I write this I wish I would have wrote it while driving (well as a passenger) that night as we drove back to DC. I really I have forgotten many of the details and am left with just general impressions that don't say much. But I told myself I would write one of these this summer, so here you go.

As Tekk and other have pointed out, this is the BEST stadium I've ever seen a marching show in (well at least if you sit on the 50 high up). I highly recommend it to anyone who can make the drive. All of the corps I saw both in Annapolis and Chester were much more enjoyable in Chester. Well worth the drive and the $$$ the tickets cost.

Combing the two shows I have seen this week, I predict Blue Devils will win with Carolina second. The only BD show I have liked in recent year was Re-write (and then only after multiple viewings). I respect their shows and appreciate them for the art, but I never go back and watch them. I may with this show.

Of the shows I have seen in person this year, from an enjoyment standpoint for me it goes 1) SCV, 2) BD, 3) Crown, 4) Bloo, 5) Phantom, 6) BK, 7) Boston, 8) Bones, 9) Scouts, 10) Intermission

Final comments on two shows this week is that I am so impressed with the talent of the kids in all the corps. I just got back into the activity a few years ago and hadn't been to a show since Finals in 1987. Mind-blowing how good these kids are today. But I would like to see them carry a tympani around the field like we did back in the day! In general I wish brass played more (and did less ballet). And half of the time narration drives me crazy. But I do enjoy where the activity is going. Glad I 'found' it again.

Really late on this. My brother, girlfriend and I traveled to Chester for the show from Fairfax County Va. We had a slight detour to visit relatives in NJ and as such didn't get to the stadium until around 7. I didn't realize that there was free parking and since inexplicably not one of us had any cash, I turned around to go find a cash machine in Chester proper. OMG! That is the first and last time I take a tour through the town of Chester - apologies to Chester residents-but it was amazing the difference between the stadium and one block past the stadium. It goes from pleasant to quickly unpleasant pretty fast. Thanks to the forum to setting me straight on the availability of free parking.

Anyhow, my favorites were the Bluecoats and Carolina Crown. I was surprised by how good SCV was and the overall quality of the acoustics in the stadium for all the corps. There were the only occasional electronic feedback glitches but the sound at the stadium was the best of my limited live performances. I had only seen performances @ Herndon high, George Mason and the University of Maryland back in 2000. The percussion was particularly crisp and loud.

I am very glad I spent the extra $$ to get good seats within the 40 yard line. (section 106 row R)as it was worth every penny.

After seeing this live I have no desire to see the quarter finals in the theater and here the great sounds muted and compressed as I have in past years. I am skipping the finals in theaters and saving my money for the Blurays - whenever they end up coming out.