Advice for the interloper

PercussionPoser

Hello! Would just like to start off by introducing myself.

My name is Dave, I just graduated with my bachelors in music in trumpet performance and am going into music education.

I have been working with my local high school marching band for several years now and since I just graduated, the band director, who is some what of a mentor to me offered me a promotion to teach marching camp as well as be the pit instructor this year. I am all over the marching side of things. I play trumpet and have been around a while. I'm not claiming to be amazing, but I'm good at teaching it so we are good there.

The reason I am posting here is that I have minimal experience with percussion. Besides the basic pedagogy class in college I'm pretty much just on youtube and forums trying to get a feel of what a more experienced front ensemble instructor would be doing.

Here are some of my actual questions:

1. Last year we had the front ensemble mic'd. It went okay... Since then I have received more technical training with the equipment but what are the general guidelines when approaching this?

2. I've got a sort of daily routine going for the kids but they are still not grooving.

What are some of your daily routines/ warm ups

What sort of exercises do you guys recommend to get the kids feeling the pulse.

They are all shy, timid, "misfit" kids. I'm trying to get these guys to rock and be more confident.

3. Like I said I'm a brass guy... please share any all all cool/interesting/educational resources my way.

Thanks,

David

• 3 weeks later...