Confused?

Hello please let me start by saying I am new to this site and somewhat new to DCI. I have only really known about DCI for about 3 or 4 years and I am confused on the scoring. Before I get screamed at about hating one Corp or another I have nothing but absolute respect for all involved I realize the hard work and love for what they do and I am not bashing anyone. My question is how does the Blue Devils score continue to increase every show if they do not have the tarp they use in the field? I have read that it was stolen in Atlanta and has not been in at least two shows. Doesn't that mean the show would be considered incomplete? I realize they did not have it at the begining of the year and the visual score was quite a bit lower and now with it gone the score continues to increase every show. I don't want anyone to feel like I am directing this just at them but it's the most obvious because of its size. My question would be directed at the crown if the stagecoach were missing any help or direction would be super helpful thanks everyone.

Welcome to the activity. The "completeness" of a show is a relative matter and even a missing tarp or 'not the closer we're finishing the season with' is only a fraction of the scoring. Michael Boo has a good rundown of the various aspects of scoring at

http://www.dci.org/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=33500&ATCLID=211086489

The Blue Devils continue to rise in score because they are continuing to clean their brass sound, battery, pit, guard, and visual (which is more about the marching and moving around than 'things you see'). GE might take a small hit with th tarp missing but not because it's 'incomplete' but rather because the effect of people miming. That they're running under a tarp looks....odd...rather than an 'oh wow' impact. (Although how odd does it really look when compared with the standard body movement things today?! Hah!)

So in short, cleaning the show is getting more points in other categories than temporarily missing the tarp is losing any GE points.

Considering they only had the tarp at like two shows it doesn't factor into their score at all. They are using it to gain effect points. Without it they neither gain nor lose points. It's just not a part of the show, or their score, until they get it back.

It is an enhancement to the product, rather than the product itself. All other aspects of the show continue to clean and improve, so score does as well.

My assumption is they alerted the judges before Atlanta about what happened with the theft, so there wasn't confusion about why they were going through the motions of handling a tarp that wasn't there, but that's just a guess.

My assumption is they alerted the judges before Atlanta about what happened with the theft, so there wasn't confusion about why they were going through the motions of handling a tarp that wasn't there, but that's just a guess.

Your assumption aside NE, would this scenario actually be aloud?

Your assumption aside NE, would this scenario actually be aloud?

well. if something isn't on the field, the judges simply don't judge it. there's likely a comment on their GE tapes about "i'm wondering what happened to the tarp" and in critique they'll say some gypsy stole it. so its gone. and they're going to either change that to fit, or buy a new tarp which you'll see later.

We must always think along these lines in this case:

• how much effect does the tarp really add to BD's show?
  • BD was scoring well in effect (and visual analysis) before the tarp. Do we take those points away when they add the tarp?
    • A) If a judge felt the tarp didn't help, then maybe.
    • B) If a judge liked the tarp, then no, but how much is added?
  • If their visual/effect program is somewhat less off without the tarp, how much does it hurt? It's only out there for a small fraction of the show.
  • If the tarp helps their visual, how much does it gain? Again, it's only there for a small fraction of the show.

My guess is that BD has so much to clean with brass and especially percussion that the improvements in score there offset whatever they might lose from the lack of tarp. Keep in mind, too, that BD's visual program is incredibly strong. I doubt the tarp adds or subtracts much. I don't think they've lost in visual all summer. Visually the tarp might fall under analysis (certainly not proficiency or guard). And in GE visual it might cost them a little, but not enough to bring the score down when other captions have improving to do.

A tarp is a prop. In some shows a prop may be used for a short period of time or for the entire time. Some props add little to nothing, others add a lot. Some props are not deemed essential to the show. Some add only a little, and others are very important. I honestly see BD's tarp as non-essential to the show. It's a neat effect, but ultimately they could do without it too and still place very high, perhaps even win the title.

Edited by jwillis35

One reason detailed recaps are not shared is to avoid revealing that, in 2016, other visual components were reduced and an additional category was added specifically for tarps.

For every 576 square feet of tarp used, a corps receives .1 points, out of a possible perfect score of 10.0 for covering all 57,600 square feet of the field and both end zones.

Just as people currently express concern when they see dirt, eventually they will express concern when they see grass on the field.

• Like 5

We must always think along these lines in this case:

• how much effect does the tarp really add to BD's show?
  • BD was scoring well in effect (and visual analysis) before the tarp. Do we take those points away when they add the tarp?
    • A) If a judge felt the tarp didn't help, then maybe.
    • B) If a judge liked the tarp, then no, but how much is added?
  • If their visual/effect program is somewhat less off without the tarp, how much does it hurt? It's only out there for a small fraction of the show.
  • If the tarp helps their visual, how much does it gain? Again, it's only there for a small fraction of the show.

My guess is that BD has so much to clean with brass and especially percussion that the improvements in score there offset whatever they might lose from the lack of tarp. Keep in mind, too, that BD's visual program is incredibly strong. I doubt the tarp adds or subtracts much. I don't think they've lost in visual all summer. Visually the tarp might fall under analysis (certainly not proficiency or guard). And in GE visual it might cost them a little, but not enough to bring the score down when other captions have improving to do.

A tarp is a prop. In some shows a prop may be used for a short period of time or for the entire time. Some props add little to nothing, others add a lot. Some props are not deemed essential to the show. Some add only a little, and others are very important. I honestly see BD's tarp as non-essential to the show. It's a neat effect, but ultimately they could do without it too and still place very high, perhaps even win the title.

I concur. the show wasn't based around the tarp, so it was more like candles on the cake. A nice addition, not a necessary component for success.

One reason detailed recaps are not shared is to avoid revealing that, in 2016, other visual components were reduced and an additional category was added specifically for tarps.

For every 576 square feet of tarp used, a corps receives .1 points, out of a possible perfect score of 10.0 for covering all 57,600 square feet of the field and both end zones.

Just as people currently express concern when they see dirt, eventually they will express concern when they see grass on the field.

Wait, you're kidding here, right?

If not, what if a corps has 1,150 sq ft of tarp instead of 1,152?

I'll feel like a fool if you tell me I've been "snared" by your prank.

• Like 1