DCI Eastern Classic - Saturday Aug. 6, 2016

It's clear that your standard is a traditional arbitrary number, not excellence.

Did you know that DCA features the top ten, not the top 12? Their 12th place corps has "earned the spot" but will be going home on finals night.

+++

(talking over the Scout's collective shoulder) "Just how good are the Scouts?"

"Compared to whom?"

ALL of the corps are excellent this year. From top to bottom, they all are very strong.

Do you know why I subscribe to the "12 are in finals" philosophy? Hmmm. Because that's what it currently is.

If DCI wanted to change to top 10, or 8, or 14, or whatever-- then fine.

But the clear margins at this point is the top 12, so there should be 12 corps performing on Saturday. Regardless of who is in 13th.

ALL of the corps are excellent this year. From top to bottom, they all are very strong.

Do you know why I subscribe to the "12 are in finals" philosophy? Hmmm. Because that's what it currently is.

But the clear margins at this point is the top 12, so there should be 12 corps performing on Saturday. Regardless of who is in 13th.

Unless there is a tie for 12th.

• Like 1

What if the fans want to see a corps that has achieved excellence by performing well enough on the field to be within 10 points of the overall leader?

That finals performance might very well be the 10th best show of the season.

Again, what's wrong with seeing the corps on Semifinals instead of finals? The difference is just one day.

Agree! I'm just old enough to remember a time in the last century when the 35-50 corps were so poor they were really hard to sit through for 13 minutes. :crazy:

Actually, I think you win the day with that argument. I've alluded to several other sports who award differently from DCI, but that IS the point. This isn't motorcycle racing, it isn't golf, it's DRUM CORPS. And that's how we do it around here. :smile:

Agree. I hope you guys aren't made at me for trying to stimulate some "out of the box" thinking and discussion.

Back to my bunker. :mat::mat::mat::peek::mat: :mat: :mat:

:cool:

Edited by wvu80

Screen%20Shot%202016-08-07%20at%201.34.1

Edit: And try number 6 is successful!

Crown's path is though visual and to gain just a teeny-weenie bit in GE. They'll grab brass and guard.

Bluecoats path is to maintain the GE, be as clean as they can be visually and play their guts out.

BD's path is to win visually, get their tarp back, and squeeze as much as they musically.

May the judges let them play it out - please come to Indy with a blank slate!

This one is going to go all the way to Saturday night folks!

Are your hearts ready?

• Like 1

What if the fans want to see a corps that has achieved excellence by performing well enough on the field to be within 10 points of the overall leader?

That finals performance might very well be the 10th best show of the season.

Why change this rule now? Last year Troopers and Colts just barely missed the cut (and I mean BARELY). 2014 saw Colts miss it by 0.1 pt. In 2013, Troopers missed by 0.15. And so on and so on...

It happens almost every year where that battle for 12th is ridiculously close. But it is a battle for 12th! Those that just miss have been so really great shows that I would have loved to see again but they didn't make it. The rule shouldn't change in my eyes. Why change a good thing?

I heard they may do semifinals. Not sure if that's true.

However, they are VASTLY improved from the last time I saw them. They're doing themselves justice.

We're doing semifinals.

Thanks for the kind words too, Allentown was an absolute blast!

Again, what's wrong with seeing the corps on Semifinals instead of finals? The difference is just one day.

The difference is MAKING FINALS. Further, if Academy is on first or second, you will finally see the earliest arriving crowd at LOS.

Top 12 make finals unless there is a tie. This is not a difficult concept.

• Like 1