Rule Proposal- New Scoring Format

Galen

Proposal: Institute a new scoring system to accommodate the lack of official recaps.

Rationale: DCI's decision to eliminate recaps threw us all for a loop this season. To compensate, I propose replacing the slate of 8 captions with three (GE, Visual and Music) and changing the current limits for each division as follows:

World Class: 60 points

Open Class: 50 points

Class A: 40 points, retaining the restriction of not being able to use a corps above 20 points for the GE caption.

I've determined these numbers using the ratio of current max caption points (155) to total possible caption points available (200) and scaled down for each division. This may require some reformatting of the website and scoring mechanisms to achieve.

I have several concerns with this...

1) I would want to wait until the three-caption recaps have been a thing for more than a year. For all we know, DCI will reconsider this before next summer.

2) I'm not sure the reprogramming John would have to do on the site would be worth the returns.

3) I don't think three captions provides the game with enough variability/variety of option.

Agree with Kevin also. Been trying to think of something creative we could do, but further to my concern is we do have recaps for finals at least. Maybe similar to what happened this year, we need to push finals (all 3) out a few days to use full recaps and not allow changes after actual finals?

Agree with Kevin also. Been trying to think of something creative we could do, but further to my concern is we do have recaps for finals at least. Maybe similar to what happened this year, we need to push finals (all 3) out a few days to use full recaps and not allow changes after actual finals?

I had that thought, too. Maybe set up a few "generated score" shows during "actual" Finals, then use the real recaps for DCPI Championships the next week.

Sounds reasonable to me...though for added intrigue, if it were possible, it might be cool to record everyone's nightly during-Championships changes, but not apply them until between the appropriate rounds of the DCPI Championships. So, if I made a change between DCI Prelims and Semis, it wouldn't show up until between DCPI Prelims and Semis. Could leave some intrigue as to who made what moves, but I have no idea how easy/hard it would be to implement that.

Also, would this mean we would have full DCPI recaps for championships?

Sounds reasonable to me...though for added intrigue, if it were possible, it might be cool to record everyone's nightly during-Championships changes, but not apply them until between the appropriate rounds of the DCPI Championships. So, if I made a change between DCI Prelims and Semis, it wouldn't show up until between DCPI Prelims and Semis. Could leave some intrigue as to who made what moves, but I have no idea how easy/hard it would be to implement that.

This is already how it is done.

Full recaps will be provided for Finals, but not Prelims or Semis. In the past, we had people who were smart enough to read the full captions for every corps, then make adjustments to their corps to win. Since players are allowed to make changes after Prelims and Semis, no full caption recaps for those shows. I would be willing to do full recaps if we changed to a "let it ride" situation, with no caption changes after Prelims. I'm actually in favor of that, but it's been shot down in the past.