DCI WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP PRELIMS - 8/11/16

I've noticed that when Cadets are announced it's "DCI is proud to present....." instead of "Drum Corps International is proud to present..." The latter seems to be the norm for all the other corps. I thought I heard it on the last couple webcasts as well. Anyone know why this might be?

Edited by AROD24601

I guess after tonight I'm just ###### at how easy it is for kids to sit there and:

- Laugh at seemingly everything.

- Act like every flag/rifle drop is terrible, it means their guard sucks, and they are worthless.

- Point out every time a brass player fracks a note or is a little out of tune to say how terrible it was.

- Talk about how stupid a corps show is and how much they hated them last year, and how much they hope they get beat by, and laugh after the set of scores gets announced. This was a corps in the 10 - 15 grouping.

- VERY loudly say how much they hate another corps and that they never deserve how much they win (you can guess who).

- ##### and moan about scores and how there is no way X corps deserves to be where they are.

And then when you got to some touchy stuff with Crown and Cavies, the adults joined in too. Nothing loud, but lots of murmurs and sighs and that kind of crap.

I never marched. I draw a line on here on how far I will go with my criticisms and how I word them. There is a line that I don't allow myself to cross because it is not my place to do so, I have never done the amazing thing all those amazing performers are doing, and I just don't think it's appealing at all. All I can think when I hear all those comments is how dare they talk so much crap on something they will probably never do and probably can't do. I'm not against criticism, and I am well aware that in things like sports this is childs play, but I've always held the fans of this activity to a higher standard, because when I went to the live shows this summer and all of them I have been to since 2010 it was such an amazing experience with amazing people that you can't find in other activities. First time I've really experienced that with people watching drum corps, was like this in June too but probably not as bad and constant as it was tonight.

I gave some glares and a subtle shut up to get the ones around me to finally be quiet. Theater staff was in and out and they never did anything useful.

But other than that, loved all the shows. Whatever way this shakes down there are going to be people that say they can't believe a corps is winning, someone else should, blah blah. After hearing that throughout the whole night I don't care to partake in that discussion. If all you are going to talk about are mistakes, scores, who shoulda been where, and don't enjoy everyone some you're missing out big time.

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 1

Just signed on to DCI live.......

Seriously????? They aren't showing the top 15 corps?

Unfortunately so. They've been doing it that way for Prelims pretty much since they started live streaming events several years ago, I believe.

30 pieces of silver Judas received for handing Jesus over

Tonight was the first time I could see that detail closely. It's not very effective visually from a distance; I couldn't tell what he was dropping.

Nice infinity drill move in the center field.

When did they get rid of the tarp from center field?

Ha! I totally failed to notice its absence. (Good riddance, though.)

• Like 2

We've got the scores for everybody but the top 15 so far.

Or so we thought at the time.

I guess after tonight I'm just ###### at how easy it is for kids to sit there and:

- Act like every flag/rifle drop is terrible, it means their guard sucks, and they are worthless.

- Point out every time a brass player fracks a note or is a little out of tune to say how terrible it was.

- Talk about how stupid a corps show is and how much they hated them last year, and how much they hope they get beat by, and laugh after the set of scores gets announced. This was a corps in the 10 - 15 grouping.

- VERY loudly say how much they hate another corps and that they never deserve how much they win (you can guess who).

- ##### and moan about scores and how there is no way X corps deserves to be where they are.

And then when you got to some touchy stuff with Crown and Cavies, the adults joined in too. Nothing loud, but lots of murmurs and sighs and that kind of crap.

I never marched. I draw a line on here on how far I will go with my criticisms and how I word them. There is a line that I don't allow myself to cross because it is not my place to do so, I have never done the amazing thing all those amazing performers are doing, and I just don't think it's appealing at all. All I can think when I hear all those comments is how dare they talk so much crap on something they will probably never do and probably can't do. I'm not against criticism, and I am well aware that in things like sports this is childs play, but I've always held the fans of this activity to a higher standard, because when I went to the live shows this summer and all of them I have been to since 2010 it was such an amazing experience with amazing people that you can't find in other activities. First time I've really experienced that with people watching drum corps, was like this in June too but probably not as bad and constant as it was tonight.

I gave some glares and a subtle shut up to get the ones around me to finally be quiet. Theater staff was in and out and they never did anything useful.

But other than that, loved all the shows. Whatever way this shakes down there are going to be people that say they can't believe a corps is winning, someone else should, blah blah. After hearing that throughout the whole night I don't care to partake in that discussion. If all you are going to talk about are mistakes, scores, who shoulda been where, and don't enjoy everyone some you're missing out big time.

Sounds like DCP....

• Like 3

they're learning all that behavior somewhere (their local band staff ?)

i'm the biggest crown honk around and i made my kids watch BD basics every year.

they will be respectful if they're taught respect.

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 4

Wow......so sorry DrumMan! Come to SoCal and watch with me. Our theater is always sold out with lots and lots of band kids. These kids LOVE the shows and yell and cheer and fist pump the soloists. It truly makes the evening even more fun than it already is. The adults are pretty cool too. True appreciation for the activity....and not just for Vanguard and BD. What a great night in the theater!

• Like 1