DCI WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP PRELIMS - 8/11/16

Sign language. They are moving in parallel with the audible words.

Really? I'll have to watch for that as I'm fluent. Is it new?

Some other stuff from the Cinecast

1. Will Pitts is really coming into his own as a commentator. I thought this was the most comfortable he's looked on camera, and he had clearly done his homework in terms of what he wanted to say about each group. I sort of think he's leaving Rondo and Dennis behind in terms of what he brings to the broadcast.

2. The sideline reporter, sorry forgot her name, also did a good job this year. She has obviously sincere responses to a lot of the performances and did a nice job of making the performer interviews not seem awkward. Kudos to her for picking 11th place Academy as her favorite moment of the night.

3. DCI badly needs to find 2-3 more Will Pitts to add to the broadcast. Younger former participants who've started on a relevant career and can bring better insights and commentary into what each group is doing. Someone from the color guard world would be particularly appreciated.

4. The weakest part of the broadcast is always the reactions to the performances. Rondo: "wow, brass gave me goosebumps. Dennis how about the drums?" Dennis: "Drums were great". Pitts: "And what a guard". It gets old after the 15th repetition. I think they need to be less afraid to say negative things. Tell the audience which section you didn't think was up to par. If you think the drums were so strong, tell us which part of the show really sold you. Etc.

5. Michael Klesch hands down won Best Interview. Both for his substantive comments about why Crown went with a merciful ending, and his stand-up comedy about how Crown could have done the campfire farting scene from Blazing Saddles, but Roxanne won out.

Pete Weber from SCV took a clear second place. It's pretty awesome hearing the writer of the year's best drill talking about how important it is for him that they get the music right.

6. Bluecoats' soloist's wink won the night. I wanted to see a sideline interview with that guy.

Yeah Pitts was better than the past, but they desperately need someone who can speak about visual/guard from a knowledgeable background of design/execution/art.

If we didn't already know that they need some younger people to be involved, Rondo kept reminding us by bringing up how old they are at least, what, five times?

Keep him in for a bit of legacy connection (not Delucia) but have the lead team be fresh faces who can better relate to what is happening today.

• Like 1

What captions/sub-captions are holding Vanguard back from being closer to 3rd? Is it Visual/GE?feet? what?

After Prelims...

GE: SCV (4th) is 0.825 behind Crown (3rd). If that tree does something then that gap should close.

Visual: SCV (5th) is 0.125 behind the Cavaliers (4th), and 0.8 behind the Bluecoats (3rd). This might be the hardest caption for SCV to catch up in.

Music: SCV (4th) is 0.2 behind the Blue Devils (3rd), and 0.2375 behind Crown (2nd). Brass is key here as the percussion should be scoring in the top 3.

Great show last night... viewed from the comfort of a movie theater seat. :tongue:

Some random thoughts....

The top three corps in particular blew me away. Crown's horn line was ridiculously good (and holy mackerel, LOUD!!!) ... even by their very high standards... and the corps has done a great job at fleshing out their western-themed storyline.

BD.. I agree with Dennis DeLucia, the opening couple of minutes of their show is absolutely insane. And my favorite ballad of the evening.

Loved Academy. Also was impressed by the Colts. A show that not too many years ago would have been a solid finalist.

Myself and the others with me thought Boston had topped Madison... but hey, we're not judges, just fans, so we don't know the exact criteria the judges follow. Plus... IMO, it's tougher to determine "who beat who" from a video performance, as opposed to a live viewing.

And... bottom line... it doesn't really matter, in the big picture, what I, or any of us, think about this corps or that corps. Regardless of the outcome... the sun will still rise tomorrow and life will go on. As long as there is golf and college football on TV. :tongue:

Crossmen remind me of vintage Bones in a modern package. Very cool show.

The Blue Knights... my apologies to any BK fans, but I didn't get it. And never will. LOL. They perform at a very high level... horn line was crazy good at times... so kudos to the members and the corps staff. But wow, what a head-scratcher.

A good night, indeed... and a great season for the DCI corps. It will soon be time for me to focus on the DCA home stretch. Yes, and contrary to the opinions of some folks, there is drum corps life after DCI. :smile:

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1

Nope. Been in since Day 1. How much "dance" intrudes into the actual words, I can't say as I'm not fluent.

Lot of depth to this show.

Neat. Have they told the filming crew this so they can do a close up? Cause that seems to be the sort of thing they'd want eyes on and yet...the fact that it's ASL is something the crew would miss. '

Do you know if they consulted with a deaf person to develop it? There's a number of talented deaf dancers out there who could have helped ensure clarity. If it's something a hearing staff member 'learned from a book' I shudder to think what sort of inaccuracies might be there. True story: a friend of mine went to her nephew's kindergarten Christmas show at school. The third grade class did a 'sign language song' their teacher taught them "from a book." Instead of signing "my triangle" they signed "my [female anatomy that is sometimes referred to by a feline euphemism]" So yeah, I hope Troop has it right!

Again, I'll need to watch closely tonight. The 1988 Suncoast Sound incorporated a bit but the video only captures a snippet and, as you say, the dance element interferes with comprehension a bit.

No one is beating Coats

It was very clear in person they are a step above

With three corps scoring within LESS than a point of each other, it's "clear?"

'Coats won a prelim, but It sure doesn't seem clear to the judges that they are a "step" above. Judges seem to find they are a tiny fraction above.

It may be true that Bluecoats will eventually win, but this isn't a run away by any stretch of the imagination.

• Like 2

Black or maroon, nobody marches like Cadets.

Agreed but judges only focus on Cadets weakness (GE), not there ability to play horns, drums and March beautifully. Not the judges favorite corps for many reasons.

I need to get permission from the friend that shared them with me. Let me see what I can do. Don't have the time in between meetings to put it into a spreadsheet today otherwise I would. By the time I would be able to get to that, Semi's will be over.

Care to share? :smile:

Yeah, you can PM me that recap/share what you saw exactly!

Care to dump into a spreadsheet to avoid watermark issues? Even if you only have time to do top 17 or 12?

Volunteering to assist if needed.