Too many amplifiers?

Sitting on the 34 last night just 9 rows up - right in the face of most speaker set ups. It truly affected the ability to enjoy the majority of the music. The crazy thing is that just a few rows in front of me is where the staff were sitting for most of the corps as they jumped into the stands during their shows - so they heard the very same thing, yet I doubt anything will change for tonight. Some of the worst offenders were two of the top four corps.

• Like 1

One other point, where is the discussion on who has the loudest horn line this year?

Unfortunately, that discussion kind of gets lost in all the electronic goo we're getting.

Bugles versus Crown?

LOUDEST HORN LINE THIS YEAR?

Crown wins. Loudest horn line this year. May be the loudest horn line in the modern Bb era - but with all the electronics, does anyone know - or appreciate? Go ahead judges, keep rewarding fake sound!

There was a comment by someone who watched in Lucas Oil saying that BD seemed like the loudest hornline to them. I've watched BD live this year, but not Crown so I can't say

So a couple of corps have 2 Amps or sets of speakers and a couple have a whole lot more like maybe 15. Count em.

Considering all the new information about decibel levels etc., don't you think there should be a limit to how many speakers accord can use? Amps can hide a lot of issues. Playing with fewer amps like say 2, is a sign of a superior group of musicians, superior instruction, etc.

No, but it is a sign you don't understand how sound reinforcement works.

Volume is *not* driven by how many speakers you have. At all.

I just can't fathom that the Cadets staff can observe the show day after day and think, "The bass synth is perfectly balanced and not too loud at all. This is fine."

Normally I would agree with you here. Cadets often abuse the bass synth. At Massillon a few days back they were reserved in their use of synth bass. A pleasant surprise.

But to the bigger point you bring up, I doubt many brass and percussion staffers have much control over how much synth bass gets used. Chances are it comes from a corps' audio tech/mixer and perhaps one music staff person who many not always get his/her way. I don't know. It's hard to explain sometimes.

As I said, I'm all for the amps and the electronics, and by and large a lot of improvement has been made over the years. But I was just beside myself at how loud Madison and Cavaliers had the bass synth cranked. It was gross. I honestly don't know what their music staff is thinking in terms of balance.

Normally I would agree with you here. Cadets often abuse the bass synth. At Massillon a few days back they were reserved in their use of synth bass. A pleasant surprise.

But to the bigger point you bring up, I doubt many brass and percussion staffers have much control over how much synth bass gets used. Chances are it comes from a corps' audio tech/mixer and perhaps one music staff person who many not always get his/her way. I don't know. It's hard to explain sometimes.

As I said, I'm all for the amps and the electronics, and by and large a lot of improvement has been made over the years. But I was just beside myself at how loud Madison and Cavaliers had the bass synth cranked. It was gross. I honestly don't know what their music staff is thinking in terms of balance.

Totally agree with you - Madison, particularly at the end of their show and Cavies throughout were just overbearing. In both cases it made the music sound overly artificial and did a disservice to the battery and brass behind them.

• Like 1

Too many DC Dinosaurs, but certainly not too many speakers and amplifiers. Either enjoy it for what it is or stay home in your lazyboy and turn down the volume on your TV.

I'm not a Dinosaur, but I don't agree with all the amps either.

Again, if you can't out out the sound and have to resort to artificial sound, maybe you should hang it up and go home.

Too many DC Dinosaurs, but certainly not too many speakers and amplifiers. Either enjoy it for what it is or stay home in your lazyboy and turn down the volume on your TV.

I was hoping to atleast turn 21 before being called a dinosaur :shutup:

• Like 3

I guess that makes me one.

I wanna be a velociraptor.

I knew I liked you. Lmao.

• Like 1