Too many amplifiers?

So a couple of corps have 2 Amps or sets of speakers and a couple have a whole lot more like maybe 15. Count em.

Considering all the new information about decibel levels etc., don't you think there should be a limit to how many speakers accord can use? Amps can hide a lot of issues. Playing with fewer amps like say 2, is a sign of a superior group of musicians, superior instruction, etc.

• Like 4

I agree with you; the whole thing is really unregulated and as a result, it seems it's getting a bit out of hand. Now, soloists are mic'd, drums are mic'd (at certain points, such as in BC this year), and it almost seems that one section is being turned up to overcompensate for another year over year. The result, in my opinion, is a less "genuine", more muddled, effect that detracts from the overall show and enables the utilization of synthetic sounds to make certain things sound better, and with higher quality, than they truly are (wonder if this at all impacts judging and/or props up some scores that otherwise wouldn't be? No way to know of course, just a thought).

As a fan, if you're anywhere close to the front at these shows now, it's pretty seriously loud. Now, we all like loud drum corps, but there's honestly zero need, in my opinion, for a backfield soloist to sound like he's in the seat next to me, bell facing my head. It can't be good for your ears and definitely not good for the kids. My suggestion? Just tone it down a bit. Electronics have added a lot to DCI, but I'm concerned were on the verge of getting carried away.

I also believe that all vocals and sounds should be required to be played live, since this is a judged musical show based on talent and execution, but that's for another tread. :-)

• Like 6

If you can't put out the sound and have to go artificial, hang it up and go home.

• Like 2

How about we start a thing: #DCI2017unplugged

• Like 5

It's too plugged in now. I saw BD victory concert from 1994 in Allentown on YouTube a few days ago and I was like...jeez. No amps. Just pure sound and they were loud. It wasn't needed.

G bugles baby

• Like 5

Soundwise, amplification and electronics are as good as they've been since 2008 (i.e., before synthesizers were permitted). At the O.C. Finals the other day, my notes only read "synth too loud" four or five times. So far on the webcast, it's been pretty restrained too--although listening to Cascades right now and Surf before that, there were a few obnoxious moments.

To me, half the problem is the usage of bass synth, accurately known as "thunderous goo." I don't know why corps use it, where the idea comes from, what instrument it's supposed to resemble or why it's always so overbalanced. What does it add to the sound, other than sticking out like a sore thumb and not blending with anything else? Couldn't they just not use it? I'd love some answers.

Edited by Hrothgar15
  • Like 2

To me, half the problem is the usage of bass synth, accurately known as "thunderous goo." I don't know why corps use it, where the idea comes from, what instrument it's supposed to resemble or why it's always so overbalanced. What does it add to the sound, other than sticking out like a sore thumb and not blending with anything else? Couldn't they just not use it? I'd love some answers.

I'm pretty sure it is supposed to supplement the tubas. Originally had to do with the fact that most Bb tubas were not as loud as G contras, and to get the desired "pyramid of sound" balance, you would need way more tubas than most corps could field. In person, that synth helps give strength to impacts.

Personally, I despise it.

• Like 4