DCI World Championships Semifinals - 8/1215

Is there actually a rule that an organization cannot have two world class corps? What about when the YEA ran both Cadets and Crossmen at the same time?

I believe each organization can only field one world class corps, iirc.

YEA/Cadets fielded two - Xmen and Cadets. Are you sure that's a rule?

FWIW I think both these corps (BDB and SCVC) should just move to world class but keep the same tour (or maybe do ATL to INDY or something). Open is supposed to be a developmental class and they've clearly moved out of that criteria for a number of years now. I understand the financial issues. Surely something can be worked out.

Edited by corpsband

Sprung for semis today as well. As far as who has appeared so far - REALLY impressed by Legends . . . BIG brass sound. Spirit has cleaned up nicely since I saw them in July (especially the guard). SCVC - just a well put together production. Can easily see why they are scoring where they are.

Ruh roh. Sound board fiddling there in the pit.

To all the corps who have their final show today, thanks for making the non finalist grouping as entertaining, well performed, and exciting competitively as it has ever been. I know everyone is understandably discussing about top 12 right now, but I had just as much fun watching you guys this year.

Perform your hearts out today!

Very well stated, respected, and seconded by me.

Long story sir!! Basically...got a promotion and was swamped, Got married and just have had a really busy summer. Didn't even get to a show this year....so these are the 1st time i'm seeing all these corps! Took today off so I got veg and watch this. Everything should be ok for next season though. lol

Congrats on the promotion. Office switch, or internal bump up?

• Like 1

After a discussion about C2 being DCA and not DCI, I think I have a clearer read on the different types of Open Class and how they relate to World Class. Not only are SCVC and BDB feeder/trainer corps. They're also offering an SCV and BD experience that doesn't demand the full tour a World Class corps does. So the kids opting to march with them know what they're getting. SCV ( or BD or Cadets) style instrucion without the same expectations and commitments time wise and financially that marching World Class requires. For some kids, that's going to be the right step to make to test the waters and figure out support to do this activity.

For other groups like Legends and Genesis, there's a different identity to the corps in moving an organization toward World Class status (perhaps). Similarly, Pioneer and Surf know what they are identity wise and wants to offer what they do as well. So it's different opportunities for different students and they're all doing fairly well!

Thinking of the relation between World and Open classes (and DCA) as some sort of performance based "promotion/relegation" arrangement like English soccer leagues is somewhat flawed.

Surprises me Bluecoats, Crown and especially the Cadets don't do this...would be a great way to grow Drum Corps

Congrats on the promotion. Office switch, or internal bump up?

Thanks! Internal. Really wasn't interested in moving offices at this time. just worked out, right place, right time.