2016 DCI World Championship Finals - 8/13/2016

Has a corps ever won three captions and finished third? Tells you how overwhelming the Bluecoats creative concept and execution was.

Well, BD's Visual and Guard score in finals was higher. But during the three days in Indy, Crown's average scores in Guard, Brass, and Visual were higher.

Was half expecting to see a 2017 prediction thread already. Lol

I think you missed it. It is already out there.

Adding up the technichal captions from last night:

1. Crown 59.238

2. Blue Devils 58.375

3. Bluecoats 58.225

Just an observation - this suggests that we are no longer an activity that awards the kids strictly on the merit of their shows, rather, the creative teams on the merit of their design. Of course it takes a great group of kids to execute the design. Question becomes, should we be putting so much emphasis on GE (40% of the overall score) or should we be giving more emphasis to execution? I don't have an agenda, just thought it would be an interesting discussion.

If you took the time to learn the sheets, all are performer driven. You don't get love for the book if you don't perform it Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Like 1

I see where you're coming from .... sometimes I miss the ole tick system that went away after ... I think 1983? My point is that all sub-captions measure based on design. So the compositions/arrangements are judged in brass, MA and percussion. Drill in VA and VP, etc. not just a GE caption thing.

Tics were more subjective than today's system because there was no uniform standard of what a tic was

Still think it should be only open to corps that have won the world class championship. Bloo now included and Madison should be in there as well.

So up to this point Blooooooo wouldn't have been in it? And if they didn't win this year, losing say by .0005, they'd not be in it either.

As a Madison Alum, it is disappointing to see my younger brothers sit out of Finals. But looking at the big picture, this happened in a year

where everyone stepped up their game so much. There were so many great moments and surprises...Academy getting into Finals for the first time, and

doing it convincingly! Boston struggling and breaking through to hold on to Finals....Crossmen getting back in with such a great show! Blue Stars, SCV and Cavies moving up...Bluecoats

hanging on to win the title.....Overall, I feel like this has been one of the most exciting and unpredictable seasons of Drum Corps.

And seeing the competitiveness at this level...this is good for the activity! It keeps things exciting. And I'm confident my guys will

re-evaluate, re-tool and come back stronger next season (HOPEFULLY, without the early season overhype!). :)

• Like 2