Madison Scouts 2017

2 minutes ago, BigBadMadMan said:

This is what I was talking about when I was referencing a lack of creativity in DCI anymore. I know I'm a "dinosaur" (41), but I can't believe so many people are willing to swallow the line and go along with this morphing of DCI into WGI. That's pretty much all we're seeing now; recycled BOA or WGI shows. The mindset of both of those organizations have infected DCI (mostly due to the incestuous nature of all 3 organizations). It's basically taking a WGI-styled show and throwing it on a football field instead of inside an auditorium. There's very little left to distinguish the different activities, not to mention the fact that DCI is no longer the innovator and driving force (by and large) of the marching arts, and has taken a backseat to both BOA and WGI.

This is what many were afraid of when we started changing the rules. Any-key instruments...then amplification...then electronics...now costumes, etc. Won't be any time before you can no longer recognize a difference between DCI and BOA. Before anyone scoffs, we're practically there already. The only difference at this point is the lack of wood winds. DCI is now a homogenized product.

I'm just surprised that everyone is cool with it.

your comments above also fit the Cesario thread discussion.

1 minute ago, BigBadMadMan said:

This is what many were afraid of when we started changing the rules. Any-key instruments...then amplification...then electronics...now costumes, etc. Won't be any time before you can no longer recognize a difference between DCI and BOA. Before anyone scoffs, we're practically there already. The only difference at this point is the lack of wood winds. DCI is now a homogenized product.

I don't hate modern DCI, and I still enjoy going to shows, but I do think the overall productions that hit the field are a shell of what they once were. There is something to be said about an accelerationist approach of having it fully morph into WGI, with full WGI-costuming, woodwinds and all, or even have the organizations merge. At which point one could test the waters and see if there is demand for ensembles that resemble early- to mid-1990s DCI corps. It's certainly possible; the only (obviously very tough to clear) barrier is economics, not lack of interest of students wanting to perform in such groups as some would claim. Even the tooling to make those types of instruments is still around and companies can produce them. I honestly wonder what exactly it would take to get an exploration like that off the ground.

13 minutes ago, BigBadMadMan said:

This is what I was talking about when I was referencing a lack of creativity in DCI anymore. I know I'm a "dinosaur" (41), but I can't believe so many people are willing to swallow the line and go along with this morphing of DCI into WGI. That's pretty much all we're seeing now; recycled BOA or WGI shows. The mindset of both of those organizations have infected DCI (mostly due to the incestuous nature of all 3 organizations). It's basically taking a WGI-styled show and throwing it on a football field instead of inside an auditorium. There's very little left to distinguish the different activities, not to mention the fact that DCI is no longer the innovator and driving force (by and large) of the marching arts, and has taken a backseat to both BOA and WGI.

***that's not to take anything away from what BOA and WGI do. I've seen a lot of awesome shows from both and appreciate those activities for what they are. I'd just prefer we stop blurring the lines between them and DCI.

i'm just curious, would you mind listing out your main arguments for why this line blurring is a bad thing? In the end, we are looking at multiple facets of what is the epitome of a niche activity. In the end, it's all band and flags and drums. I have yet to hear a good rational argument about keeping these lines between our niches in a niche activity so starkly drawn, other than the standard appeals to tradition (not that tradition doesn't have it's place). I'm more than willing to hear them, I just have yet to hear a solid argument in this regard.

13 minutes ago, BigBadMadMan said:

***that's not to take anything away from what BOA and WGI do. I've seen a lot of awesome shows from both and appreciate those activities for what they are. I'd just prefer we stop blurring the lines between them and DCI.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Corps have been milking each others music for decades.  And you think NOW corps are being incestuous??????  
You floor me!!  :laughing:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cop said:

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Corps have been milking each others music for decades.  And you think NOW corps are being incestuous??????  
You floor me!!  :laughing:

That isn't what I was referring to when I used the term incestuous. Of course music will be recycled. It's a musical activity, after all. Someone might confuse a drum corps and a marching band, but I doubt anyone could confuse a drum corps and an orchestra, even if they played the same piece.

21 minutes ago, BigBadMadMan said:

Ive done both and can say what you do in an indoor show can push the envelope so much more than DCI.  The reason DCI is copying WGI is because in 25 years the percussion activity has pushed the envelope every year to get to where it is.  I started in 2010 and from 2010 to 2011 the marching and playing turned into marching, body, and playing and so on. This is a high school group and the design was something judges couldnt really score because theyve never witnessed it.  WGI world class sheets define World Class as pushing the envelope and doing new things.  Realistically DCI has been kind of in the same design for the last 10 years.

• Like 1

On 6/21/2017 at 2:04 PM, Terri Schehr said:

I'll see it Sunday in Michigan City. 

Good on you.

Are you a fan of all drum corps or just The Cadets??

5 hours ago, SFZFAN said:

So gloss black drums this year? That's a classy look every time. Maybe the new costume is just them going shirtless.

That's what I keep alluding to here! :xmas: