Madison Scouts 2017

4 hours ago, jjeffeory said:

This is an old topic, but my opinion of it was that it is more CREATIVE to be working within the current rules of the time ( brass and acoustic percussion) than it is to take the easier route of just adding more ingredients ( instruments) to the pot that end up turning it into a much different activity that already existed in the fall.

Props have been around forever, they're just now required to get that Box 5 score, which is why everyone is using them.  Same with the rest.

Used to be if you wanted to make a train sound, you'd play around with some acoustic percussion instruments until you found something that matched and approximated the sound you wanted ( creative). Now you just download a train patch ( not creative).

Agreed and well said.

5 hours ago, corps8294 said:

This is just a warmup. Wait until the middle of July when the alumni really start to bicker with each other. :laugh::thumbup:

Go see Cadets thread tonight for further info.

Edited by Cop

According to Komnick, this show as a whole matches in difficulty the Scouts' 2014 production, “Time Trip,” which he considers the most challenging show that's been fielded in his time with the corps. 

---> This was an interesting comment, because I'm not sure I see much difficulty in the 2014 show, at least visually, which is why it stalled and was passed up to finish 11th. Anyone have any thoughts?

19 minutes ago, henry7184 said:

According to Komnick, this show as a whole matches in difficulty the Scouts' 2014 production, “Time Trip,” which he considers the most challenging show that's been fielded in his time with the corps. 

---> This was an interesting comment, because I'm not sure I see much difficulty in the 2014 show, at least visually, which is why it stalled and was passed up to finish 11th. Anyone have any thoughts?

Musically, it was incredibly difficult. I saw the show in theaters that year and I remember one of the broadcasters saying that one of the pieces of source music was in 33/16 time, which is just ridiculous. I still love listening to the show because of that hornline, but I can't bring myself to watch it because the drill was poorly written.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

Musically, it was incredibly difficult. I saw the show in theaters that year and I remember one of the broadcasters saying that one of the pieces of source music was in 33/16 time, which is just ridiculous. I still love listening to the show because of that hornline, but I can't bring myself to watch it because the drill was poorly written.

Yeah, musically I would agree, but not visually. 

Musically was probably what he was eluding to there.  But I am curious about the new visual team. They have a new drill writer and brought over several people from the BD organization.

2 hours ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

My brother marched in that hornline and he agrees with that sentiment.