Madison Scouts 2017

On 6/22/2017 at 7:03 PM, jjeffeory said:

This is an old topic, but my opinion of it was that it is more CREATIVE to be working within the current rules of the time ( brass and acoustic percussion) than it is to take the easier route of just adding more ingredients ( instruments) to the pot that end up turning it into a much different activity that already existed in the fall.

Props have been around forever, they're just now required to get that Box 5 score, which is why everyone is using them.  Same with the rest.

Used to be if you wanted to make a train sound, you'd play around with some acoustic percussion instruments until you found something that matched and approximated the sound you wanted ( creative). Now you just download a train patch ( not creative).

Yeah, but if all you're doing with a synth is playing patches, of course no one is going to say that's creative. A synth is like any other tool -- you can use it in wildly creative ways (as many have), or you can be lazy about it and just roll them out there with presets and lame samples.

I look at shows like SCV's Miss Saigon, where they did the sweet helicopter thing, and that was awesome, and would have obviously been way less effective if done by a synth. But the corps who are using synths and other electronics in the most creative and memorable ways aren't using them just for samples. They are finding ways to use those tools to create amazing effects that would not otherwise be possible without them. I've said it before on here, if you don't think the way that Bloo used electronics in Kinetic Noise was very creative, risky, and difficult, then you have never attempted to play acoustic instruments in combination with synths, electronic effects, looping, sampling, etc.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, monoemono said:

Yeah, but if all you're doing with a synth is playing patches, of course no one is going to say that's creative. A synth is like any other tool -- you can use it in wildly creative ways (as many have), or you can be lazy about it and just roll them out there with presets and lame samples.

I look at shows like SCV's Miss Saigon, where they did the sweet helicopter thing, and that was awesome, and would have obviously been way less effective if done by a synth. But the corps who are using synths and other electronics in the most creative and memorable ways aren't using them just for samples. They are finding ways to use those tools to create amazing effects that would not otherwise be possible without them. I've said it before on here, if you don't think the way that Bloo used electronics in Kinetic Noise was very creative, risky, and difficult, then you have never attempted to play acoustic instruments in combination with synths, electronic effects, looping, sampling, etc.

No one is talking about how well Bluecoats or The Cavaliers use electronics.  

I'm talking about those other corps would recently used train and helicopter patches instead of doing what SCV and BD's did ( helicopter effect in 1991  and train effect in 2004)

For every example of creative use of electronics, there's 10 examples of thunderous goo and bad samples. I don't want to call any specific corps out, but all I was saying is that the argument about needing to have almost unlimited tools ( no woodwinds yet) to be creative was a false argument.  You don't need new tools to be creative, but that doesn't mean that people aren't going to find creative ways to use those tools.  Take away that argument and it just shows that people wanted to change the idiom.

At any rate, it doesn't matter much as that horse is dead; I was just wanted to give my take on the issue.

• Like 3

Just now, jjeffeory said:

No one is talking about how well Bluecoats or The Cavaliers use electronics.  

I'm talking about those other corps would recently used train and helicopter patches instead of doing what SCV and BD's did ( helicopter effect in 1991  and train effect in 2004)

For every example of creative use of electronics, there's 10 examples of thunderous goo and bad samples. I don't want to call any specific corps out, but all I was saying is that the argument about needing to have almost unlimited tools ( no woodwinds yet) to be creative was a false argument.  You don't need new tools to be creative, but that doesn't mean that people aren't going to find creative ways to use those tools.  Take away that argument and it just shows that people wanted to change the idiom.

At any rate, it doesn't matter much as that horse is dead; I was just wanted to give my take on the issue.

That's fair, and I agree with what you said here. There have probably been more klunkers than hits. Hopefully, as people figure things out, that trend will reverse. I was skeptical of everything new, to the point where many of my favorite corps just weren't enjoyable anymore. But as the better ones have taken the ball and run with it, they have slowly won me over.

• Like 1

Whitewater!!!!

• Like 1

DDHyJTWXYAAFpxz.jpgDDHyJSTW0AEQIFC.jpgDDHyJUpXcAAergd.jpgDDHyJSjXYAEYRNe.jpg

• Like 1