Madison Scouts 2017

50 minutes ago, BigBadMadMan said:

Dude, no offense, but 7 points has been a running theme around here for years now. I've been on this board for 15 seasons. They have started the season 7 points behind the top 6 many, many times (and Cavies may be 6th, at best, right now). Maybe I should just start seeing them as a bottom-tier corps and accept that, but this is par for the course anymore. Mind you, when I marched, they were perennial top 6 finishers, 8 years off a championship and sandwiched between top 5 finishes. I don't recognize the Madison Scouts of the past decade. Hell, I was working for the Scouts the last time the finished 6th (2005).

When you truly love something, you have no problem pointing out its flaws because yoh know its better than that.

I'm sorry, but Cavies are 5th at lowest right now. They've only lost to Crown and Bluecoats, and the only two other corps that are ahead of them right now are Santa Clara and Blue Devils. I haven't seen the Scouts show yet, but I will be fine with 7 points down if the design is good and has room to grow, like 2015 and unlike 2016. Once I see the show, I will be able to make up my mind. You could say the Cadets are 6th and Boston 7th. If Madison has a great design, they could have a shot at 8th. I'll reserve my complete opinion until I've seen the full show.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BigBadMadMan said:

Wtf are you and why are you in this thread? No one is eating their own. That's rich coming from someone with the handle "westcoastblue". What do you know about the Scouts alums and how we feel about things. Stay in your lane. No one is asking them to do a "tried" (typo) @ss 1990's show, so kindly see yourself out.

q7nqBUb.gif

Defensive without being analytical. Perfect poster child for a mid 1990's Scout that cares more about some un-analyzed reality of modern day drum corps than those currently  thinking "I want to be a Madison Scout?", BUT IN 2017, not 1995.  Try to think. Try to step back. To assume even 1% of what I am saying is true. Sigh . . .

Edited by westcoastblue

27 minutes ago, westcoastblue said:

And ladies and gentlemen, the Madison Scouts continue to eat their own! Predictable and sad. Pathetic and needless. It is the decades of inbreeding. Years and years of it. Lies told to too many marchers in the late 90s early 2000s and probably beyond that created an unhealthy, uninformed, poor-me attitude alumni base that will forever and EVER be the corps' biggest albatross unless the current leaders eventually, as many corps have done, decide that that 20 years or so of alumni are a lost faction (with a few exceptions I am sure) and should not carry nor influence ANY creative design decision   ever!

The costume is beyond on point. ####! It is perhaps the BEST uniform on the field this summer. The show has taken the creative turn it needed. Let these members of 2017 do their thing. 

Stuck in the mud, sad, poor-me alumni-  IT ISN'T ABOUT YOU.  NEVER HAS BEEN. NEVER SHOULD BE. KEEP YOUR #### QUARTERS. Let these men march and play, spin and drum a 2017 production. It is their time. Their era. They DO NOT WANT To do a tried ### 1990 show. Just like you did not want do a tried ### 1970 show when you strapped in. 

I know for a fact that the alumni, as a whole, is a HUGE source of support for current marching members. What one or two alumni here say isn't reflective of the whole alumni base. But, you know what - these alumni here are entitled to their opinion and I can see where they are coming from. I understand how they feel. I have Cadet alumni friends who are in a fury over the direction they have taken as of late. Same with my Cavie alumni friends back in 2012-2015, or my Vanguard alumni friends in the mid- to late-2000s. It happens - it's a hard pill to swallow when your corps falls through the rankings for any alumni. Those that speak out are passionate and there is nothing wrong with that. 

I love the uniforms this year. I am happy they are modernizing. I hope the show design is more modernized too. What I would have a problem with is if the design isn't good. We will see.

Edited by henry7184
  • Like 2

I'll just say this. Just got home from the show and Loved Madisons new look and show. I was very drawn into the show as was everyone around me. It so so far away from anything you have ever seen from Madison which will be a hard pill to swallow for some, but I absolutely loved the show. How Cavies are 7 points better I have no idea. I thought they had a terrible run and sounded very dirty brass and percussion. Crossmen live was much better than the theatre. Madison looked bad ###, silks, props and staging are much improved and just really thought the visuals were wonderful. First show all, R E L A X. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BlueByYou2000 said:

I'll just say this. Just got home from the show and Loved Madisons new look and show. I was very drawn into the show as was everyone around me. It so so far away from anything you have ever seen from Madison which will be a hard pill to swallow for some, but I absolutely loved the show. How Cavies are 7 points better I have no idea. I thought they had a terrible run and sounded very dirty brass and percussion. Crossmen live was much better than the theatre. Madison looked bad ###, silks, props and staging are much improved and just really thought the visuals were wonderful. First show all, R E L A X. 

So you think the design is better than last year? I am ready for Madison to reinvent themselves. They way it is today is the way it is today, and if you don't adapt you don't survive.

5 minutes ago, BlueByYou2000 said:

How Cavies are 7 points better I have no idea. I thought they had a terrible run and sounded very dirty brass and percussion.

+3/-3 unless you are BAC....

13 minutes ago, henry7184 said:

I know for a fact that the alumni, as a whole, is a HUGE source of support for current marching members. What one or two alumni here say isn't reflective of the whole alumni base. But, you know what - these alumni here are entitled to their opinion and I can see where they are coming from. I understand how they feel. I have Cadet alumni friends who are in a fury over the direction they have taken as of late. Same with my Cavie alumni friends back in 2012-2015, or my Vanguard alumni friends in the mid- to late-2000s. It happens - it's a hard pill to swallow when your corps falls through the rankings for any alumni. Those that speak out are passionate and there is nothing wrong with that. 

You are right . . . nothing wrong with that- UNLESS you think you or the alumni base, or any faction of the alumni base think you have the creative answers. Drum corps is changing too fast, is too sophisticated, too multilayered for most alumni to do much good other that sending money and wishing all the modern-day marchers and staff well. Based on my experiences, the Madison Scouts Alumni are by far the worst at knowing such and at stepping back and letting younger, more informed talent pave the way. These guys know the past and are driven if not haunted by it in a good way. Dropping competitively is a complicated dilemma and is rarely if NEVER improved by alumni that think because they placed higher back in the day that that have legit answers to current day issues. Give money, not grief.   

Edited by westcoastblue
  • Like 1

Just now, westcoastblue said:

You are right . . . nothing wrong with that- UNLESS you think you or the alumni base, or any faction of the alumni base think you have the creative answers. Drum corps is changing too fast, is too sophisticated, too multilayered for most alumni to do much good other that sending money and wishing all the modern-day marchers and staff well. Based on my experiences, the Madison Scouts Alumni are by far the worst at knowing such and at stepping back and letting younger, more informed talent pave the way. These guys know the past and are driven if not haunted by it in a good way. Dropping competitively is a complicated dilemma and really if NEVER improved by alumni that think because theypalce higher back in the day that that have legit answers to current day issues. Give money, not grief.   

I get where you coming from, but Madison has some great alumni programs and a friend of mine who marched there told me a bunch of alumni donated to pay the dues of a member who just rejoined a few weeks ago and couldn't afford the dues. Remember - what you see here is an exceptional small sample of Madison's huge alumni base. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BigBadMadMan said:

Sigh your way out. Your ignorance is showing. Try thinking, "I'm an @ss sticking my nose in where it wasn't warranted".

You are trying to defend all Scouts on this thread, and possibly all threads past and present.  God Bless you. Really. I think you might be the good exception to the many Madison Negative Alumni Nancies that give grief every year. I am glad you like the uni and hope your claims to support them in their modern-day, up-to-date show design is legit. Go Madison! I wish nothing but the best for their 2017 competitive season. It would be so awesome for them to return to the top six. I am behind them all the way. Perhaps my small annual donation to the corps each year is some tiny part of that realization as well as my positive thoughts and reactions to the efforts the Men in the superman suits bring to the field every performance.  Always a Madison Scouts fan. Most often, and with due cause, not a Madison Scouts Alumni fan. 

Edited by westcoastblue