Madison Scouts 2017

2 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

I just think they should add narration to develop the stroyline and have everyone die at the end minus one member. Last man standing currently ends with 150 men standing.

Great idea.

22 minutes ago, Jluke897 said:

Thanks for posting!  I know they HAD to make changes but I still don't see how this show makes a young man say "Wow!  I want to march with the Madison Scouts now!"  I'm hoping this show grows on me, but I really just didn't have a moment in the show where I would have said, this really makes me want to march there and that is really the biggest problem that Madison has right now.  The top talent is going elsewhere and they need a show that is just going to make young men say "I want to go there" but I'm just not seeing it with this show.  For most of the show, the crowd is sitting on their hands which makes me sad.  They want to be excited for them as do I but not seeing it with this show.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, GREENBLUE said:

Isn't there already another all male corps out there that would be considered the "bad boys" of dci?

I'm not connected in any way, shape, or form to either corps (love them both though); but I've always seen Cavies as more of the frat with some swagger and Madison as the fun guys you go tailgating with that are maybe a little rough around the edges (in a good way).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BozzlyB said:

Dude, thats the point. Time to hit the reset button on "what is Madison".

Reset didn't need to include dropping the iconic uniform for the sloppy looking costume. This show would be better visually if the corps proper was in last year's uniform and just the guard in the silly costumes. 

4 hours ago, BozzlyB said:

Dude, thats the point. Time to hit the reset button on "what is Madison".

I understand that and don't disagree. I just don't feel that totally disowning your identity was the way to do it. Nothing about this show is Madison. Nothing about this show pulls the crowd to its feet, and that's weird to see. 

Recently the Cavaliers have also had to change their approach to show design. Wether you like this approach or not, wether you like MAFM or Propaganda or not you still know and recognize that they are The Cavaliers.

Still believe the Scouts should of went more the Bluecoats or Blue Devils route. Shows like Tilt/Downside Up/Jagged Edge/metamorphosis would have been much better suited to reimagine the corps without sacrificing its identity. Sacrificing what made the Madison Scouts special in the first place. 

Edited by GREENBLUE
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, GREENBLUE said:

I understand that and don't disagree. I just don't feel that totally disowning your identity was the way to do it. Nothing about this show is Madison. Nothing about this show pulls the crowd to its feet, and that's weird to see. 

Still believe they should of went more the Bluecoats or Blue Devils route. Shows like Tilt/Downside Up/Jagged Edge/metamorphosis would have been much better suited to reimagine the corps without sacrificing its identity. Sacrificing what made the Madison Scouts special in the first place. 

Exactly! Very well said!

1 hour ago, SFZFAN said:

Reset didn't need to include dropping the iconic uniform for the sloppy looking costume. This show would be better visually if the corps proper was in last year's uniform and just the guard in the silly costumes. 

AMEN!

• Like 1

Not sure how you maintain their identity while rebranding but here's the thing as I see it - they needed to change, bigly, to remain relevant in today's drum corps. Someone mentioned that they don't see anything to draw young performers to the ranks but I'll politely disagree. Trotting out the iconic green tops, or variations thereof, and thumbing their nose at where DCI is headed was no longer working. It was also probably turning off a good number of young gentlemen who might have come out for auditions.

In any case, they've moved the needle from "what do they need to do to become part of competitive drum corps" to "they should've have done the change differently." Regardless how you view the changes this year there is no denying (1) they went big with the change and (2) they put themselves back on the competitive landscape. Now it's about refining, paying attention to the way the wind blows competitively, and keeping the product fresh.

Also, as far as identities go, they will always be Madison, always sing MYNWA, always have alumni adopt a current marcher and present their NAIL, and always be a brotherhood. The Cadets maintain their traditions, Blue Devils theirs, and newer corps like Crown evolve seemingly with the sunrise (Purple Pants Band, Abandon All Hope, etc.). Those traditions will continue and tie the various generations together more than the product put on the field ever could.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GREENBLUE said:

Its just not Madison. From, the look to the sound. I'm not sure why the designers felt this would be the way for them to go. It's just not them. It feels and looks extremely uncomfortable. 

Its like someone stole their identity. It's just not the scouts. If you're going to completely rebrand, reinvent something it better be pretty bad #ss and this I'm sorry to say this is not. 

Just asking, not disagreeing since I haven't seen the show... what is it about the sound that makes you say it's "not Madison?" I've heard others compare it to some of their darker shows like 2006. The look has been argued to death, so to each his own on that one. Personally, it looks pretty bada## to me.

I'll take Judas over this any day.

You'd take a timid rehash of 1999 over something progressive? Don't get me wrong, I'd take 1999 over a majority of Madison shows, but certainly not Judas.

Isn't there already another all male corps out there that would be considered the "bad boys" of dci?

Someone said something like this already, but the Cavaliers are a more cheeky group, more likely to embrace the campier elements of their program. Madison is the "blow your face off, make them stand up" type. While this show certainly departs from that, I've always considered Madison to be the darker corps in the 21st century. I wouldn't consider either of them "bad boys" though. I'm not sure if DCI really has or needs a "bad boy" corps right now.

2 hours ago, SFZFAN said:

Thanks for posting. Not bad but it would be much better visually with last year's uniform. And now it's gone

I disagree. The tone of the show is lost if they are running around in bright green tops with red sashes and white pants.

22 minutes ago, GREENBLUE said:

Recently the Cavaliers have also had to change their approach to show design. Wether you like this approach or not, wether you like MAFM or Propaganda or not you still know and recognize that they are The Cavaliers.

If you took away the Aussies and the vest jackets the only way you could have convinced me they were the Cavies last year would have been the all-made guard and the bicycle step. Even then, a lot of the elements would have made me think Madison a little bit as well. It's all about finding your niche. Cavies and Madison both found theirs before, but Cavies were more successful because Madison's niche was too rooted in the past to succeed in an evolving activity. They began the journey of carving out a new one this year. 

22 minutes ago, GREENBLUE said:

Still believe the Scouts should of went more the Bluecoats or Blue Devils route. Shows like Tilt/Downside Up/Jagged Edge/metamorphosis would have been much better suited to reimagine the corps without sacrificing its identity. Sacrificing what made the Madison Scouts special in the first place. 

I strongly disagree here. The more theatrical and artsy styles are a complete departure from most of the stuff Madison has EVER done. While this is certainly something different, at least it has some precedence with some of the older, darker Madison shows. If Madison had come out looking and sounding like Bloo or BD this year, the entire alumni base would have had a coronary. 

• Like 1

The music seems almost as much as a departure as the costumes

They should use the fleur de lis as the gold symbol on top of the pike at the start of the show and then for the death battle, have someone in an old Madison Uniform get killed. Scalp the aussie, march to the temple and change the gold symbol to what they have now.

Too much?