Madison Scouts 2017

(Regarding earlier posts)   In '97, the Scouts did a pirate show in which one of the pirates was slain in the closer.  In order to maintain the illusion, as the Corps left the field, one guard member returned to midfield, picked up the "corpse" and carried it off.  Later, in the Corps parking area, a father showed up with his son looking for the "dead" pirate to show he was not really killed.  I'm sure other shows may have been disturbing for some younger fans eg., Spartacus.  The point is, the Scouts are testing the boundaries of "Family Friendly" which is not a criterion in the judging.  Should it be?

When we took our young kids to Disneyland when they were little, we told them the sharks really were not really eating the people... as well as all the other " scary " stuff they would encounter inside the park there on vacation. They did not seem the least bit traumatized by any of it, as near as we could tell. I think the scariest my kids got was the traffic on  1-4 when they probably thought we were all going to be killed by the homicidal maniac drivers on 1-4 that led into Orlando.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jake W. said:

Ok, FINALLY got to see the show via YouTube.

I really think this is going to either be a big swing & a miss for Madison, or a serious home run. It all depends on where the staff takes this show throughout the next two months.

Right now, I love the foundation, but from the performance I watched, none of the members seem to be selling it or 100% on board and confident in their jarring direction shift just yet (yet being the key word). The bones of the show are there, and with some tweaking and fleshing out of a lot of the ideas that currently exist, this could be something intensely special and memorable for the Scouts. I actually *REALLY* loved the music book, despite a lack of melody or exposed small groups/soloists, as mentioned in previous posts. The opening Husa statements are totally great, just not being performed with their written intent yet (to my ear). Bartok's Miraculous Mandarin meanders a bit for now, but that is SUCH a cool piece of music and this arrangement has real potential. Doesn't sound like the performers know what to do with that section yet though. And those crunchy, dissonant chords in the return of Music for Prague in the closer...man. That already gave me chills, and that passion in the closer is what makes me think they have the collective stones to eventually embrace this show and sell it like crazy.

But....it's not there yet. Here's my opinion, not that it matters: if the staff tries to keep this one under control, not venturing too far outside of the established drum corps game, this will become a failed experiment. On the other hand, if they proceed forward tossing caution to the wind, ditch every presupposition about what they "should" be doing to get back into Saturday night, and just go grittier, dirtier, darker, more primal, intensely visceral, and wrap themselves up in this show, I believe it will be a wild hit that audiences will love and embrace and that will set the Scouts up for a nice next couple years (oh, and easily land them back on the Saturday night roster). 

But I only see hints of that now. Ok, Scouts, you've got our attention. You've taken huge risks this season, and now is no time to keep a couple toes in the safety zone. Throw the playbook out the window and just grow this nasty, primeval, visceral show into something totally unique to your corps this year, a show that is whispered about and that people can't wait to see to confirm what they've been hearing rumors about. *THAT* will reclaim your organization's pride and uniqueness after such a down year last season. But really, there can't be a single thing half-hearted about this show.

I was about to type something in an earlier post about not selling it, based only on viewing the video. And then decided I'd better wait until I see it live. But yeah, it had a very tentative, mechanical feel to it. I'm still trusting the leadership to know how to develop it all to peak at the right time. And anxious to cheer them on in the stands Wednesday night.

1 hour ago, dieselfume said:

(Regarding earlier posts)   In '97, the Scouts did a pirate show in which one of the pirates was slain in the closer.  In order to maintain the illusion, as the Corps left the field, one guard member returned to midfield, picked up the "corpse" and carried it off.  Later, in the Corps parking area, a father showed up with his son looking for the "dead" pirate to show he was not really killed.  I'm sure other shows may have been disturbing for some younger fans eg., Spartacus.  The point is, the Scouts are testing the boundaries of "Family Friendly" which is not a criterion in the judging.  Should it be?

No. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Jake W. said:

Ok, FINALLY got to see the show via YouTube.

I really think this is going to either be a big swing & a miss for Madison, or a serious home run. It all depends on where the staff takes this show throughout the next two months.

Right now, I love the foundation, but from the performance I watched, none of the members seem to be selling it or 100% on board and confident in their jarring direction shift just yet (yet being the key word). The bones of the show are there, and with some tweaking and fleshing out of a lot of the ideas that currently exist, this could be something intensely special and memorable for the Scouts. I actually *REALLY* loved the music book, despite a lack of melody or exposed small groups/soloists, as mentioned in previous posts. The opening Husa statements are totally great, just not being performed with their written intent yet (to my ear). Bartok's Miraculous Mandarin meanders a bit for now, but that is SUCH a cool piece of music and this arrangement has real potential. Doesn't sound like the performers know what to do with that section yet though. And those crunchy, dissonant chords in the return of Music for Prague in the closer...man. That already gave me chills, and that passion in the closer is what makes me think they have the collective stones to eventually embrace this show and sell it like crazy.

But....it's not there yet. Here's my opinion, not that it matters: if the staff tries to keep this one under control, not venturing too far outside of the established drum corps game, this will become a failed experiment. On the other hand, if they proceed forward tossing caution to the wind, ditch every presupposition about what they "should" be doing to get back into Saturday night, and just go grittier, dirtier, darker, more primal, intensely visceral, and wrap themselves up in this show, I believe it will be a wild hit that audiences will love and embrace and that will set the Scouts up for a nice next couple years (oh, and easily land them back on the Saturday night roster). 

But I only see hints of that now. Ok, Scouts, you've got our attention. You've taken huge risks this season, and now is no time to keep a couple toes in the safety zone. Throw the playbook out the window and just grow this nasty, primeval, visceral show into something totally unique to your corps this year, a show that is whispered about and that people can't wait to see to confirm what they've been hearing rumors about. *THAT* will reclaim your organization's pride and uniqueness after such a down year last season. But really, there can't be a single thing half-hearted about this show.

I feel the same way. It's a good vehicle, but yes they seemed tentative, especially the guard. If I ran into them in an alley I'd be terrified - they need to make us feel that in the stands. But, really good vehicle. We will see how far they can take this.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, henry7184 said:

I feel the same way. It's a good vehicle, but yes they seemed tentative, especially the guard. If I ran into them in an alley I'd be terrified - they need to make us feel that in the stands. But, really good vehicle. We will see how far they can take this.

The social media photos don't look tentative, however. They look aggressive and into it. Maybe soon that will start translating to the field.

13 minutes ago, mjoakes said:

The social media photos don't look tentative, however. They look aggressive and into it. Maybe soon that will start translating to the field.

I know. I was like - you all are frightening. I did see some video of the guard from a couple of weeks ago and the clips looked so fierce and confident. I am hoping that right now the drill (since it's newish) is detracting from their equipment abilities. All in all, I think this show is a big step in the right direction for them. The brass line sounds really good. I hope they can find there way into the top 10 this year, but that might be pushing it a bit.

• Like 1

I disagree with those saying change to this magnitude was necessary. I think they just needed to get more creative and innovative with their Madison style, and have good design with good demand and good talent. "78th & Madison" was a big success and really loved by fans of all ages and it was perfect for Madison. "Judas" just had design issues. Needless to say, it'll be interesting to see their take on a Mad Max style show either way. 

16 hours ago, GREENBLUE said:

FINALLY!!!!!!! 

Got to see Madison's show.

where to begin???

Its just not Madison. From, the look to the sound. I'm not sure why the designers felt this would be the way for them to go. It's just not them. It feels and looks extremely uncomfortable. 

Its like someone stole their identity. It's just not the scouts. If you're going to completely rebrand, reinvent something it better be pretty bad #ss and this I'm sorry to say this is not. 

Maybe the captions are stronger? But there is no way that this is a better product then the corps has been putting out the last few years and they will be extremely lucky to remain in the Top 12. I'll take Judas over this any day. i really want to say something positive...I do. But after seeing the other corps in the 10-14 range I can't sugar coat it. 

I wish nothing but good luck to the men and hope they prove me wrong. 

Sorry everyone.

Now I want to really see this!

• Like 1