Madison Scouts 2017

Okay, I saw it.

Looks like they're trying to play the design game with all the compulsories.  Of those, I was most entertained by their 8 trombones marching the field for the whole show. 

I think they need to refine, clarify, and add.  It is a very different show than I was expecting, but they can make it their own with smart decisions and hard work.

Good luck to them!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jjeffeory said:

Okay, I saw it.

Looks like they're trying to play the design game with all the compulsories.  Of those, I was most entertained by their 8 trombones marching the field for the whole show. 

I think they need to refine, clarify, and add.  It is a very different show than I was expecting, but they can make it their own with smart decisions and hard work.

Good luck to them!

I agree. I watched it this morning (hey, they are not going to be Houston). It is not what I expected, but I think they have the tools to be successful. In my opinion, the closer needs more brass and less percussion. I remember my director in college believed that the volume from the last movement of Prague should come from the percussion. It might be true, but I think it could be more affective with brass. 

Hopefully Madison can keep up the hard work!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Jake W. said:

Ok, FINALLY got to see the show via YouTube.

~snip~

Finally saw a video, and I agree wholeheartedly with this assessment, with the caveat that it is still June, and about 80% of the corps that have done a show fall into the "need to sell it more" category, and 95% fall in the "need to tweak the design to its maximum potential" category. 

12 hours ago, Narrow said:

I disagree with those saying change to this magnitude was necessary. I think they just needed to get more creative and innovative with their Madison style, and have good design with good demand and good talent. "78th & Madison" was a big success and really loved by fans of all ages and it was perfect for Madison. "Judas" just had design issues. Needless to say, it'll be interesting to see their take on a Mad Max style show either way. 

The biggest problem with going the "78th & Madison" route is that old school styled shows are a well that is drying up in the more modern drum corps activity. I would've loved to see more shows like that, but with where the activity was going that act would get stale in a hurry and hurt their competitive chances. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, tigger2 said:

but sit all day in a room and restructure the show top to bottom so we are easily let into the theme, lead through the narrative, and given conclusion that allows us to be right- to have seen it coming and revel in the glory. Sorry for the comparison, but The Academy 2016 show was largely successful because we were hooked from the get go and hooked the entire time (not sure why they did not follow their own lead).  

For all corps, is this not something that can be done late in the off season to make sure the story line is understood?  Can it only be done once the current version is being judged?  Most veteran staffs know the judges, know their likes and dislikes, and either write drill/music accordingly or critique their own stuff before late June.

PS  Forgot to add this.  http://m.dci.org/mobile/ViewArticle.dbml?atclid=211638390&DB_OEM_ID=33500&

Edited by Ghost

@tigger2 Wow. I liked a lot of it. Some good thinking. Still, wow for a post.

• Like 2

The show posted

Props are not up because of the wind
Guards is fighting because of the wind 

Love the non stop show, love the trombones fielded the entire show.
New drill writer in place and I can't get  good read with the camera angel. 

• Like 1