Madison Scouts 2017

12 minutes ago, Old VA said:

Know the history of drum corps. It started before 2010. 

Thanks for the history lesson, I had no idea :dozingoff:

Edited by Cappybara
  • Like 4

Madison fans and faithful alums have to realize that the reason there is so much dislike for Madison is that in years past, as when I marched we either kicked the h### out so many corps or they were non existent on our radar.  Now, in a lot of their minds it's either they could not march with the Scouts talent wise, or for whatever reason they can easily justify criticism of the corps because of their struggles in recent years.  But, whether you like the Scouts  or not, they are here to stay and they will do whatever it takes to scratch back to their rightful place as a founding corps of DCI.

Edited by Madcityscout
  • Like 2

Now, let's get ready for the haters to rant.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Madcityscout said:

Madison fans and faithful alums have to realize that the reason there is so much dislike for Madison is that in years past, as when I marched we either kicked the h### out so many corps or they were non existent on our radar.  Now, in a lot of their minds it's either they could not march with the Scouts talent wise, or for whatever reason they can easily justify criticism of the corps because of their struggles in recent years.

Can you please clarify what you mean with these two statements?  It is not obvious to me after a few rereads.  Are you trying to suggest that people who criticize the Scouts now are people who could not march with the corps back in the day because they were not talented enough to do so then, and that this alone invalidates their ability to criticize the corps and its various struggles now?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Old VA said:

Because of 79 years of tradition! this is competition! Why would you ask such a dumb question? Madison fans ALLWAYS expect to be in the fight for a title. Overall history wise, Madison is a contender and a crowd favorite. As you say HISTORICALLY, 2 titles and many years when they could have or should have won. Know the history of drum corps. It started before 2010. These last years not so much. Some changes need to happen, but a uniform change and dark music I don't think is the answer.

Get the #### over yourself.

Try this history lesson: To the ageouts of Madison this year, the highest the corps has ever finished in their lifetime is 5th. They have not been the title hunt as long as these kids have been alive, and anyone who expects to be in that hunt these days is deluding themselves. Maybe someday they'll be back there, but for now success is being a crowd favorite and remaining competitive should be more than enough.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Old VA said:

Because of 79 years of tradition! this is competition! Why would you ask such a dumb question? Madison fans ALLWAYS expect to be in the fight for a title. Overall history wise, Madison is a contender and a crowd favorite. As you say HISTORICALLY, 2 titles and many years when they could have or should have won. Know the history of drum corps. It started before 2010. These last years not so much. Some changes need to happen, but a uniform change and dark music I don't think is the answer.

Please explain this comment further.  They have not been a top 5 group since 1997 and placed in the top 15 times since 72 (15/45 = 33%) .  Crowd favorite I will give you because crowds go crazy for whatever they do because they are THE Madison Scouts, but the last 20 years the closest they have been was Carmen Project(which is one of my all time favorites).

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Northern Thunder said:

The only time this was true was 1974.

I would argue 1981 was also the case at least for most of the season. They kind of ran out

of gas or peaked a little too early during Finals week, but they were definitely in the hunt.

• Like 1

I argue that 1995 should have gotten more credit than that show ever did.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Northern Thunder said:

The only time this was true was 1974.

And I'd argue it was more "could have" then "should have" (at least from my Prelims and Finals-based) viewings, esp. compared to the Prelims/Finals differences for SCV, Kingsmen, and Muchachos...