Madison Scouts 2017

19 hours ago, swmstom said:

No posts in this thread since Friday....feels like the white flag has been waved by many. I haven't, but I'm less than excited as I watch my beloved Scouts stagnate while others soar. Looks to be a battle with the Mandarins this year......smh.  so sad that the Scouts have fallen so far behind.

Apparently bringing in staff members from a B corps wasn't the answer. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Narrow said:

I know people who auditioned for Madison just because they wanted to march a show like 2013, 2015. That's what people liked about Madison. I disagree greatly that this type of change was necessary. They're just throwing their identity away, just for the sake of change. Which isn't necessarily always bad, but it made Madison unique and they were still competitive those years.

Did they need to modernize? Sure. But they should've looked at corps like the Bluecoats for certain elements, like take some jazzy, more modern, fun music with some great drill and make use of electronics/props in effective ways. That would've still felt like Madison, and it would attract a lot more talent.

They're biggest problem in my eyes was needing a more consistent design team willing to innovate a little more. Change is good, I just don't think this was the type of change Madison needed in my opinion. 

This radical and failed rebranding of Madison will hurt their recruiting efforts going forward. 

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 8:46 PM, Nine White Russians said:

I would argue 1981 was also the case at least for most of the season. They kind of ran out

of gas or peaked a little too early during Finals week, but they were definitely in the hunt.

Yup. We beat the eventual champion, SCV, by I believe 1 point in our last show before finals. I think it was in either Rome or Ogden New York. We thought that we were going to win it all. My greatest drum corps moment though was winning DCI Midwest in Whitewater that same year. Every drum corps was there. That is the show that is on the DCI CD's since they could not use the actual finals recording from Montreal for some reason. When the Blue Devils were announced in 2nd place, that was the loudest crowd that I ever heard at a drum corps show. The place went bananas. 

• Like 1

So how much longer does the current Scout regime have? They haven't exactly had a good run. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, FlamMan said:

Apparently bringing in staff members from a B corps wasn't the answer. 

Blue Devils B is basically a World Class corps at this point. Many of their staff marched in A corps or other major ensembles, and the general design and execution level of that corps is not something to look down upon in my opinion. In 2008, we brough Ken Karlin and some other folks in and that was a great addition to the staff. I would argue that the addition of b corps staff is not the issue here.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, ndkbass said:

Blue Devils B is basically a World Class corps at this point. Many of their staff marched in A corps or other major ensembles, and the general design and execution level of that corps is not something to look down upon in my opinion. In 2008, we brough Ken Karlin and some other folks in and that was a great addition to the staff. I would argue that the addition of b corps staff is not the issue here.

Well the results are what they are. 

17 minutes ago, FlamMan said:

So how much longer does the current Scout regime have? They haven't exactly had a good run. 

This is the question. Apparently this administration will be around as long as the Board of Directors is satisfied with their job performance that you accurately point out is subpar. Only way things change is if the current BoD membership remains the same and somehow loses faith in the current administration or if the membership of the BoD changes and they reorganize the admin staff and so on.

• Like 1