Madison Scouts 2017

I'm certain the alumni and board of directors will be happy to hear from anyone who wants to step up and volunteer to make it all better.   Raise more funds, seek and hire designers further up the food chain, erase whatever debt is left from Sal's time, and do anything and everything to put them back in the top 3.   

So who's up for the challenge? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ndkbass said:

This is the question. Apparently this administration will be around as long as the Board of Directors is satisfied with their job performance that you accurately point out is subpar. Only way things change is if the current BoD membership remains the same and somehow loses faith in the current administration or if the membership of the BoD changes and they reorganize the admin staff and so on.

Similarly to how Scott was ousted after 2002 by the BOD and then the BOD was voted out and Scott reinstated in the great Scouts coup of the time (may not be 100% correct on the timeline).

Fact is, the instructional staff have proven themselves. Van Matthews and BZ are top notch. BD wouldn't have poached them if they weren't. The new (not so new, in some cases) staff isn't the issue, I don't think. The Scouts have suffered the same fate for years under the current admin staff. Hopefully the BOD wakes up and recognizes this.

Edited by BigBadMadMan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, C.Holland said:

I'm certain the alumni and board of directors will be happy to hear from anyone who wants to step up and volunteer to make it all better.   Raise more funds, seek and hire designers further up the food chain, erase whatever debt is left from Sal's time, and do anything and everything to put them back in the top 3.   

So who's up for the challenge? 

I honestly wish I was in a position to do just this. If I ever win the lottery, the Scouts will discover a windfall of unlimited funding. Money cures a lot of ills. Unfortunately, that currently isn't the case. As it stands, they won't even approve my request to join the Alumni FB page simply because I've been critical of their efforts...regardless of the fact that I AM an alum. Just petty resentment for not falling in lockstep with the "support-without-question" crowd.

This is a discussion forum. We are here to discuss/vent/argue/agree. No one here is claiming to have all the answers. If any of us did, I'm quite sure that we'd be in the ear of anyone willing to implement our ideas. What I'm sure we can all agree on is that, regardless of what the current admin does, it apparently isn't good enough.

I've met Chris and, like I said, I marched with Dann. I think both of them are great people and have nothing against either of them. I've worked with the corps and have even pulled them out of a difficult situation when they asked. It wasn't convenient for me at the time, but I had no problem stepping up for a corp that I idolized and marched with. I want the Scouts to succeed at the highest levels possible. I'm sure that many won't accept that, but it's 100% the truth.

Edited by BigBadMadMan
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, churchboy said:

Good Lord people they were just tenths away from crossmen and blue stars the other day,  don't give up on them so soon!

They have a real shot at 11th (and however unlikely it might seem, it isn't impossible for 10th). Those are not unsuccessful bounces from 2016.

If you have all of these great suggestions for staff, design, director changes, etc. then why not come out and suggest them openly to the current board of directors or administration? It's real easy to be an armchair quarterback sitting on the sidelines criticizing. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Madcityscout said:

If you have all of these great suggestions for staff, design, director changes, etc. then why not come out and suggest them openly to the current board of directors or administration? It's real easy to be an armchair quarterback sitting on the sidelines criticizing. 

Where are you reading that?

Please don't insult my intelligence brother. If you feel that Chris and Dann are not doing an adequate enough job or the current staff for that matter, which you did say in previous comments, all I am saying is why not give some suggestions of people who you feel would do a better job for the organization? Rather than just criticizing, which is okay as long as you bring some suggestions to the table. Just bring some positive alternatives to the table. And, preferably not in an open forum of course.

26 minutes ago, Madcityscout said:

Please don't insult my intelligence brother. If you feel that Chris and Dann are not doing an adequate enough job or the current staff for that matter, which you did say in previous comments, all I am saying is why not give some suggestions of people who you feel would do a better job for the organization? Rather than just criticizing, which is okay as long as you bring some suggestions to the table. Just bring some positive alternatives to the table. And, preferably not in an open forum of course.

I'm not insulting your intelligence, but the reading comprehension isn't there. No one has said that we have all the answers. If my car won't start, I can tell you that it isn't working. Doesn't mean that I'm qualified to go digging around under the hood. I don't know who or what the solution is, I just know what isn't working.

I have to start by saying that the Scouts have never been my favorite corps in terms of style, etc. But I've always respected their presence and place in the activity. Clearly the organization is going through a tough time and appear to be searching for their identity in the changing DCI landscape. This is natural (but not pleasant). Just go over to the Cadets' forum and see how their "fans" are ripping them up. 

I think the Scouts brand is very strong despite the recent struggles. It has a venerable history. And remember that everybody loves an underdog. So positive changes will bring accolades over time. Just look at BAC. After languishing in the also-ran bucket for what seemed like generations, they've bounced back. Try to see these periods as part of the lifecycle of a mature organization. Don't be too harsh with the management and staff. While we all know it, it seems like it needs to be said that competing in the Top 12 is crazy-hard, with a multitude of variables - any one which can make you less competitive. I have no doubt that the Scouts can rebound. And I hope they do. Channel the frustration into positive movement as C.Holland alluded to. 

Now finding the "recipe" for the corps' resurgence is no small feat. But not an insurmountable challenge. Stay Calm and Carry On!

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, BigBadMadMan said:

I'm not insulting your intelligence, but the reading comprehension isn't there. No one has said that we have all the answers. If my car won't start, I can tell you that it isn't working. Doesn't mean that I'm qualified to go digging around under the hood. I don't know who or what the solution is, I just know what isn't working.

Now this is exactly my point. Insulting my intelligence. I am a college professor with a masters degree and a juris doctorate degree from law school. So reading comprehension is an inherent skill for me. I choose to remain professional and calm. So, I will shut this conversation down with you brother. You have a blessed day.