Madison Scouts 2017

1 hour ago, GlenI said:

I have to start by saying that the Scouts have never been my favorite corps in terms of style, etc. But I've always respected their presence and place in the activity. Clearly the organization is going through a tough time and appear to be searching for their identity in the changing DCI landscape. This is natural (but not pleasant). Just go over to the Cadets' forum and see how their "fans" are ripping them up. 

I think the Scouts brand is very strong despite the recent struggles. It has a venerable history. And remember that everybody loves an underdog. So positive changes will bring accolades over time. Just look at BAC. After languishing in the also-ran bucket for what seemed like generations, they've bounced back. Try to see these periods as part of the lifecycle of a mature organization. Don't be too harsh with the management and staff. While we all know it, it seems like it needs to be said that competing in the Top 12 is crazy-hard, with a multitude of variables - any one which can make you less competitive. I have no doubt that the Scouts can rebound. And I hope they do. Channel the frustration into positive movement as C.Holland alluded to. 

Now finding the "recipe" for the corps' resurgence is no small feat. But not an insurmountable challenge. Stay Calm and Carry On!

A very sensible attitude. Thanks for good thinking and saying.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, C.Holland said:

I'm certain the alumni and board of directors will be happy to hear from anyone who wants to step up and volunteer to make it all better.   Raise more funds, seek and hire designers further up the food chain, erase whatever debt is left from Sal's time, and do anything and everything to put them back in the top 3.   

So who's up for the challenge? 

Been there and done that. Behind the scenes/running a corps is hard, thankless work to be certain, not to mention dealing with peoples' egos. If you want to see the sausage being made, be on a BoD or join a committee for a Corps. Generally, the BoD is focused on logistics and fund raising...they hire the Director and charge that position with hiring/finding/recruiting staff, etc. 

Edited by JKT90

50 minutes ago, Madcityscout said:

Now this is exactly my point. Insulting my intelligence. I am a college professor with a masters degree and a juris doctorate degree from law school. So reading comprehension is an inherent skill for me. I choose to remain professional and calm. So, I will shut this conversation down with you brother. You have a blessed day.

Then how are you unable to comprehend that no one has said that they have the answers, just that they know what isn't working? Congrats on the accomplishments, but literally no one has been offering solutions in this thread because we don't know what they are.

15 hours ago, C.Holland said:

I'm certain the alumni and board of directors will be happy to hear from anyone who wants to step up and volunteer to make it all better.   Raise more funds, seek and hire designers further up the food chain, erase whatever debt is left from Sal's time, and do anything and everything to put them back in the top 3.   

So who's up for the challenge? 

I would make an offer to Brian Howard (https://bluedevils.org/programs/a-corps/seasons/?module=staff).  He was a long term DM at Devs, and has been on A corps staff in an administrative role as a corps manager or tour director ever since he aged out.  He knows what it takes to run a championship corps from all angles.  I have no idea if he would be interested, but having marched alongside/under him I would vouch for his leadership skills in a heartbeat.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Madcityscout said:

Now this is exactly my point. Insulting my intelligence. I am a college professor with a masters degree and a juris doctorate degree from law school.

Oh dear.  Is there anything I can do to help?

• Like 6

I can't belive I'm going to take the bait on this but bah...   I've got my own ensemble to deal with on the field this season,but I'm going to leave my $0.02 here.  Dann and Chris, as well as the BOD are very approachable. In fact, they listen to everyone probably too much for my liking.  But they are all committed to making sure that the men on the field are well taken care of, that schedules are arranged and there's not one stone left unturned during tour. And that this corps inches its way back up the food chain without sending it deeper down into the money pit of drum corps abyss.

Now, if a member, or alumnus has a gripe, they always seem to have an open ear to listen.  That being said, much like anyone, if you're an *ss about it, no one wants to listen to that. They've already got loads of alumni with pitchforks and torches ready to set them ablaze for not bringing home a gold medal every year simply because "back in my day..."  So cut them some slack. They hire the design team and have a little say in the planning.   But to be honest.   The admin don't create the shows.  There's a design team for that.  Admin get people, gear, and housing lined up and everything from place to place, and the BOD finds new ways to put money in the bank, and again, fill the large deficit left by a previous corps director. 

If you're an alumni, step up and go talk to the BOD.  Theyve never been anything but transparent and open whenever I've had a comment or question for them.  But in all seriousness.  Grumbling out here means little.  Go talk to them.  Volunteer your time and money.  Ask them how you can help before you simply throw them all under the bus.  Be a brother.  Those of you who arent alumni.... but are still concerned.    Before you complain, have you volunteered the help the organization? 

• Like 5

Tonight should tell the true story on how well the Scout's are doing. Every corps from 10th to 16th is competing tonight. I'm going to be watching as it's my first time seeing the Scouts since that early season video was leaked. Going with the high cam so I don't have to see those costumes up close. :laughing:

Edited by SFZFAN
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, C.Holland said:

I can't belive I'm going to take the bait on this but bah...   I've got my own ensemble to deal with on the field this season,but I'm going to leave my $0.02 here.  Dann and Chris, as well as the BOD are very approachable. In fact, they listen to everyone probably too much for my liking.  But they are all committed to making sure that the men on the field are well taken care of, that schedules are arranged and there's not one stone left unturned during tour. And that this corps inches its way back up the food chain without sending it deeper down into the money pit of drum corps abyss.

Now, if a member, or alumnus has a gripe, they always seem to have an open ear to listen.  That being said, much like anyone, if you're an *ss about it, no one wants to listen to that. They've already got loads of alumni with pitchforks and torches ready to set them ablaze for not bringing home a gold medal every year simply because "back in my day..."  So cut them some slack. They hire the design team and have a little say in the planning.   But to be honest.   The admin don't create the shows.  There's a design team for that.  Admin get people, gear, and housing lined up and everything from place to place, and the BOD finds new ways to put money in the bank, and again, fill the large deficit left by a previous corps director. 

If you're an alumni, step up and go talk to the BOD.  Theyve never been anything but transparent and open whenever I've had a comment or question for them.  But in all seriousness.  Grumbling out here means little.  Go talk to them.  Volunteer your time and money.  Ask them how you can help before you simply throw them all under the bus.  Be a brother.  Those of you who arent alumni.... but are still concerned.    Before you complain, have you volunteered the help the organization? 

Very true...and you don't have to be local to serve. Committee's meet via conference call...

• Like 1

Just look into the current members eyes and you will see the same look that every other Scout member had no matter if they laced up spats or are wearing a costume. 

Edited by Tupac
  • Like 3